Any Advice - Eastern Sierras camping/fishing between mono lake and bishop

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by knotfornothing, Jun 25, 2013.

1. knotfornothing

knotfornothing Newbie

Name:
    Anthony
    Boat:
    18' CC "0 for 2"
    I'm looking to take the wife and daughter this weekend on a camping trip, also want to fish but I'm not a fly fisherman. I know it varies and there are many regulations but can any recommend a good spot to fish light gear, lures or bait and where to set up camp? Any information is much appreciated. Thanks!

2. richb

richb Newbie

Name:
    Rich
    Boat:
    When I win the lotto to pay for gas
    Go the extra distance out of Bishop and go up to Lake Sabrina, and Intake 2. There are campsites up there along with a restaurant and store. You can fish the lakes or stream if you like. I go every year with my kids and now the grandkids. You can shore fish or get a boat at Sabrina. Always GREAT fishing for trout.

3. slief

slief Registered Lurker

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    Glacier Bay 2680 Cat
    I like staying up in the June Lake Loop area. There is great fishing at the various lakes within the loop as well as the stream connecting the lakes. I usually stay at Lake Silverwood Campground in my RV but I think they have tent sites as well. There is also campgrounds on June Lake. The other thing worth considering is taking the run up Tioga Pass. There are several lakes along Tioga Pass road which is a magnificent drive. You can camp up there or make a day trip out of it which is what I usually do.

4. summerjack

summerjack Newbie

Name:
    summer jack
    Boat:
      (8)
    Am I on the wrong forum?

5. LGHT

LGHT Newbie

Name:
    LGHT
    Boat:
    NA
    One more nod for June Lake. I'll be fishing and camping there at the end of July. I also don't fly fish (in the traditional sense), but I do use my spinning setups and flies to bobber cast my flies with great success. It's basically the same fly fishing concept, but you use a long pencil bobber and a 5' leader to get the fly out to the fish. If you get the bobber to enter on a 90 degree angle it makes a very small splash and allows you to lay the fly on the water perfectly. I use a carolina keep just under the bobber that allows the fly to be taken without pulling the bobber. This is important as you fish with slack line and need a little more time for the hook set.

If you interested in the technique check out Spin-cast bobber-fly fishing spincasting I picked up the book, but you really don't need it. If your ever interested in giving it a read pm your snailer and I'll send it out. Just mail it back when your done.

6. LGHT

LGHT Newbie

Name:
    LGHT
    Boat:
    NA
    Nope this is in fact a fishing forum.

7. Jacobian00

Jacobian00 Fishin Fool

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    reel fun
    In the Bishop area, you can head up Bishop Creek to South Lake, Intake 2 or Lake Sabrina. Lots of camping spots. North of Bishop is Crowley Lake. I usually catch nice sized fish compared to some of the planters in the other lakes. Just past Crowley is Convict Lake. Mammoth has Twin Lakes, Lake Mary, George, Horseshoe and Mamie. June Lake area has 4 lakes (June, Gull, Silver and Grant) and great camping on both June and Gull. Enjoy!

8. MDC

MDC Member

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    none
    All the spots these guys mentioned are great. I went up there last year with my fiance and stayed at June Lake. We fished the connecting streams between the lakes on the loop and we also fished Silver Lake. On the way back we drove down to Bishop Creek and fished the creek feeding into Intake 2. We had a blast.

9. Jgray

Jgray Newbie

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    anything that will float
    Tioga pass or virginal lakes
    I posted some in depth info on the freshwater fly fishing forum.
    i think the post was headed up 395 advice needed.

If you want some specifics for off the beaten path really cool day hikes and good brook trout fishing send me a PM.

let me know what you are looking for and I will give you some specific spots.
    I just came back from bridgeport and fished my way home so I can tell you what conditions look like and what they "were" biting... which doesnt change much.

10. Ducksgo

Ducksgo Member

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    Someone else's
    Love how the laker fisherman jump in on an offshore forum.... Awesome

11. mjgiacalone

mjgiacalone Newbie

Name:
    Matt Giacalone
    Boat:
    30', Robalo, Lotsa Fishues, South Western Yacht Club
    Rock Creek lake with Fly and Bubble or Upper Owens with a small floating trout-colored rapala (hang on)....

12. WahooUSMA

WahooUSMA Member

Name:
    Roger
    Boat:
    37 Bertram
    I kill em at Sabrina. Hit the intake or take the trails around the lake. Have always have great success with the Thomas Buoyant spoon.

13. King Halibut

King Halibut BigBoy

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    none
    Convict or June - both nice lakes and great fishing.

14. Samurai

Samurai Samurai

Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    Sold after 28 years!
    Carefull of the regs on the Upper Owens above the Benton Crossing bridge. Barbless only no bait with restrictions on what you can keep.

15. hawkplayer32

hawkplayer32 I'd rather be fishing.

Name:
    Tony Hicks
    Boat:
    Baja Bound
    As far as fishing tactics. I would use Berkley trout wormson a smal salmon egg hook, with a small split shot. I have done very with that setup. Also use nothing heavier than 3lb line. I recommend pline cxx.