Any advantage to buying a trailer out of state?

Baby J

Grady prick in training
  • Jul 28, 2017
    Graham, WA
    Name
    Jeremy
    Boat
    Grady White 265 Express Walkaround
    I’m looking at buying a new triple axle trailer. It’s not a huge deal but the manufacturer gives a discount if you buy it at the factory which is out of state. Just curious if you save anything on tax and registration.

Rick U

Almost A Member
    Oct 22, 2004
    LA
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Montauk
    I bought a car out of state to save some $. The days spent at the dmv trying to register it were not worth it. That was before covid.

Reactions: Baby J

Kool-Aid

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Mar 18, 2008
    WA
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    35 Carolina Classic
    No...not only do you still pay tax but you have to sort of ride dirty getting it back into the state as you will have no license plate for it when you pick it up out of state.

And most manufacturers are not dealers so they don’t have access to trip permits.

The Peddler

Living vicariously through others.
  • May 28, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
    You’ll still pay sales tax when you register it in WA. You won’t have to pay sales tax at point of purchase, however.

I bought a box trailer in Bend, OR and pulled it to Olympia to build it out, then pulled to to San Jose to deliver it to an employee of ours, all with no registration. A bit of a roll of dice. We paid the CA tax and license, since that’s where it was to be used.

Anyone can pick-up a trip permit from a DMV office, if you want to be all above-board. Might even be able to do it online these days?

Last edited:

Baby J

Grady prick in training
  • Jul 28, 2017
    Graham, WA
    Name
    Jeremy
    Boat
    I’ll make sure I have the sale paperwork and everything in order and ask them if I can get a 30 day tag before I leave to pick it up.

CartridgeCalls

100% Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business
    Apr 29, 2015
    Palmdale, CA
    www.ebay.com
    Name
    Curtis Wright
    Boat
    Kayak
    We just purchased a new trailer today. No savings from if we bought it in CA or NV.

Kool-Aid

Mar 18, 2008
    WA
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    35 Carolina Classic
    I’ll make sure I have the sale paperwork and everything in order and ask them if I can get a 30 day tag before I leave to pick it up.

I bought my trailer from west coast in CA.

they were not a dealer...they were the manufacture. So they didn’t have access to a vehicle permit. Likewise California DOL is a freaking nightmare. Maybe with COVID it’s gotten better with online options, but 5 years ago I tried to do a turn and burn to California and back on a weekend so the dol wasn’t even open. Most of my ride back was at night so I just chanced it and drove the trailer back with no temp.

also...make sure you get your bill of sale with the VIN information and they should give you an MSO. Manufacturers statement of origin. That’s what Washington DOL is gonna ask for...and your sales tax money.

god help you if the trailer company wants to charge you tax...because then shit gets overly complicated so just maybe talk to them first so you know what you may be getting yourself into.

G-Spot

Captain
    Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    My last three new trailers never got registered.... 😀. Don’t register don’t pay tax.... a few years from now register it as a used trailer if you want plates...

I rarely register my trailers.... I have a tilt trailer for hauling my equipment I have been towing for 15 years, and a hydraulic dump trailer. I’ve had a couple of enclosed trailers too... Guess I’m a rebel...

Two of the three boat trailers came from Florida brand new, one from Ca. no plates and never had them...Towed across the USA and then in Oregon, Wa, and Ca. I had the MSO and bill of sale in my file and handed it to the new owner when I sold it.... Got pulled over twice in the last 20 years..... One time the guy asked and I was honest and told him I had not registered it and he let me go.... the second time was last May during Covid restrictions and there is a moratorium on license plates and registration due to limited DMV services...

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
    Mar 4, 2009
    Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
    Name
    Kim
    Boat
    28' Farallon Walkaround "Paragon"
    Or just have the builder send you the paper work. vin# et cetera. Take it in to DMV, register it, pay your money, they'll give you the plate and take it with you when you go to get the trailer. That's what I did for the trailer for my new boat last summer. Trouble is in all the excitement of getting the boat I forgot to put the plate on. Drove by several highway police from Sacramento to Westport.... it wasn't noticed.

DEAGEA

Jul 16, 2017
    California
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Moby1
    If you have a AAA membership, it's so easy to register as they submit the registration paperwork for you and will provide a license plate on the spot. Stay away from the DMV like the Plague! The DMV is what Gov't run healthcare would feel like!

thesaltyhooker

Almost A Member
    Oct 25, 2018
    Renton
    Name
    Anders
    Boat
    North River Seahawk
    only thing you really save on when buying out of state is a boat because the dealer will write you two bills of sale, one for hull and trailer which you pay use tax on when you register in WA, and the other for the motors, which you subsequently don't pay tax on like you would if you bought the whole shebang in WA.

jskfish

Aug 2, 2006
    Federal Way, WA
    Name
    John Kapica
    Boat
    Pursuit 315OS
    A couple of years ago I bought a trailer from CA at Ballast Point Yachts that is made in Florida from Rocket International for a good price and it is a nice trailer. Old school was heading north and trailered it for me and it had a temp plate from Ballast Point and was no problem to register. Overall saved quite a bit from the Tuff trailer I was considering. Baby J reach out if you want details.

Baby J

Grady prick in training
  • Jul 28, 2017
    Graham, WA
    Name
    Jeremy
    Boat
    I appreciate all the advice. My first plan was to buy the trailer near the boat I bought which is in the Chicago area on Lake Michigan. I’m getting quotes to have it shipped now because I’d rather not make the trip if it doesn’t cost that much more. If I do have it transported, how do they get it on my trailer when it arrives? Has anyone here used Uship or Truckstop.com to ship a boat? I think an owner operator might meet me at boat launch to transfer it to my trailer or something simple like that. So far the best quote I’ve had is $3 per mile.

Hunter Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jun 30, 2011
    Stauffer
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    MUGWUMP
    Make sure it is Washington legal too. Every state doesn't require brakes on all axles the way Washington does. Back when Ed's was a King Trailer dealer we sold numerous no brake trailers for use in Alaska and hoo doggy did we have to make a damn clear paper trail to prove it would never roll on a Washington road.

Reel 007

Jun 12, 2006
    Glendora Ca
    Name
    Leon
    Boat
    28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
    I had a trailer built by Coastline Trailers in Seadrift TX, when I picked it up they said all I need to get it back to California is the MCO. (manufacturer's certificate of origin)
    TX, NM, AZ and CA not a single problem.
    Took the trailer and MCO to AAA, paid the fees and taxes, everything went smoothly

Last edited:
    Reactions: WaveDancer

Kool-Aid

Mar 18, 2008
    WA
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    35 Carolina Classic
    I appreciate all the advice. My first plan was to buy the trailer near the boat I bought which is in the Chicago area on Lake Michigan. I’m getting quotes to have it shipped now because I’d rather not make the trip if it doesn’t cost that much more. If I do have it transported, how do they get it on my trailer when it arrives? Has anyone here used Uship or Truckstop.com to ship a boat? I think an owner operator might meet me at boat launch to transfer it to my trailer or something simple like that. So far the best quote I’ve had is $3 per mile.

if You are using their trailer it’s probably going to be more expensive per mile to ship Vs having a trailer for the boat when it’s ready to be shipped. So if it’s a $2000 in shipping using their equip,ent you might be better off just having a trailer made over there so the dealer can put the boat. Doesn’t have to be a perfect fit for launching and such...but a good fit to make it stable for towing...then you finalize the fit when it gets here.

unless of course you can get a local trailer for less than the shipping price...if that’s the case always better to have a local built trailer because you have someone to go too if there’s an issue.

Baby J

Grady prick in training
  • Jul 28, 2017
    Graham, WA
    Name
    Jeremy
    Boat
    I’m definitely making this complicated. I’m going to give it a week to see if I get some better shipping bids. I really really don’t want to make the drive, especially this time of year. The problem is I’m a full time investor so I don’t like wasting money. It’ll cost me $4k more to ship the boat than it would be to get it myself with all my expenses. I’m willing to pay that but on top of that the trailer I want is three thousand dollars cheaper in the Midwest right by the boat. Not sure I want to pay an extra $7k to avoid the trip. I could put that towards other upgrades like electronics that I would enjoy for a lot longer than a week on the road.

G-Spot

Captain
    Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    I’m definitely making this complicated. I’m going to give it a week to see if I get some better shipping bids. I really really don’t want to make the drive, especially this time of year. The problem is I’m a full time investor so I don’t like wasting money. It’ll cost me $4k more to ship the boat than it would be to get it myself with all my expenses. I’m willing to pay that but on top of that the trailer I want is three thousand dollars cheaper in the Midwest right by the boat. Not sure I want to pay an extra $7k to avoid the trip. I could put that towards other upgrades like electronics that I would enjoy for a lot longer than a week on the road.

Check into a one way truck rental if the boat is not to heavy....

You can’t tell them your towing with it... but we rented a nice half ton Ford from Phoenix to Texas and the price wasn’t too bad...

Baby J

Grady prick in training
  • Jul 28, 2017
    Graham, WA
    Name
    Jeremy
    Boat
    I thought about that but it will be about 11k pounds for the boat and trailer. I have an absolutely bulletproof towing truck so I’d feel more comfortable using my truck. Sure not looking forward to pulling a wide heavy load through snow storms and over mountain passes. Might take a southerly route to play it safe.

G-Spot

Captain
    Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Just came across this on FB. Not sure if it’s any help, but here it is, lol…

You can buy that same trailer in the East for half of that price with zero miles on it... Makes no sense other than supply and demand that they are so much more on the West Coast...

Soulakala

Almost A Member
    Oct 23, 2019
    Ocean Park, Wa
    Name
    Chuck
    Boat
    Weldcraft 24' Ocean King
    only thing you really save on when buying out of state is a boat because the dealer will write you two bills of sale, one for hull and trailer which you pay use tax on when you register in WA, and the other for the motors, which you subsequently don't pay tax on like you would if you bought the whole shebang in WA.
    Also only the boat hull should be considered in the bill of sale, electronics and anything else in the boat is not something that will stay with the boat forever, so get another bill of sale for those items. Also if its an outboard that too is not part of the boat bill of sale as it too gets replaced or repowered more than once. I bought one new boat years back and they didn't have my engine available so they put on an older used power plant that was the same until the new one came in. The used unit convinced me I needed something larger. I told this to the DMV agent who said since the motor belonged to the dealer it would not be part of the boat purchase at that time.

Baby J

Grady prick in training
  • Jul 28, 2017
    Graham, WA
    Name
    Jeremy
    Boat
    Thanks for the heads up on equipment. It’s a private seller but now I’m going to ask him for two separate bill of sales hull/ equipment.
    Gspot is right about the trailer. That trailer is a really good deal around here but in the eastern US they are much cheaper. I’m placing the order tomorrow for a aluminum triple axle trailer with 12k capacity and 12” disc brakes all the way around on 15” heavy ply tires. $6100. Best price I got here for the exact same trailer was $11,500 and a three week lead time. If you go down south they are all but giving them away because so many boats get destroyed by the hurricanes but people have the trailer safely in storage. I might upgrade to electric over hydraulic later depending on how it goes on this trip.