Barkoff

Parker 2320
Oct 6, 2010
Hollister CA USA
Name
Mike
Boat
Dorothy G
As a new boater, know that when your flares and smokers expire, you can keep them in your ditch bag, but they must be separate from your flares that have not expired, perhaps in a ziplock freezer bag, and must be labeled expired. Use those first if you find yourself in need.
Also if your boat does not have an AIS VHF radio, get one, and use your old one as a back-up.
Have a floating ditch bag with your flares, couple bottles of water, handheld VHF in case you have to go in the water, a 20’ piece of rope to tie everyone together.
I’ll shut-up now. 😁

Reactions: RodRage
Upvote 0

Barkoff

Parker 2320
Oct 6, 2010
Hollister CA USA
Name
Mike
Boat
Dorothy G
I’m not sure what you are asking. My radios have a 16 button, but don’t do anything automatically.
I meant most radios have the function in the settings to monitor ch 16 and cut in if somebody should transmit on 16, I wouldn't think you need a second radio just to monitor 16.

Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
I meant most radios have the function in the settings to monitor ch 16 and cut in if somebody should transmit on 16, I wouldn't think you need a second radio just to monitor 16.

I understand now, but that said, none of the radios I have used do that (or if they do, I haven’t figured out how to use that function). They all have a scan feature and will scan through the channels until it picks up a transmission and will hold there until you choose for it to do something else (keep scanning or set another channel). That’s why I mentioned two radios. One stays on 16 at all times, and the other either scans or stays on another chatter channel.

Upvote 0

Barkoff

Parker 2320
Oct 6, 2010
Hollister CA USA
Name
Mike
Boat
Dorothy G
I understand now, but that said, none of the radios I have used do that (or if they do, I haven’t figured out how to use that function). They all have a scan feature and will scan through the channels until it picks up a transmission and will hold there until you choose for it to do something else (keep scanning or set another channel). That’s why I mentioned two radios. One stays on 16 at all times, and the other either scans or stays on another chatter channel.
If I'm not mistaken newer radios you can set a scan list, but set 16 as a priority channel

If you don't have an AIS radio, you should read up about all the features for you and your friends to use, the technology in a $325 radio is astounding. I bought one for the safety features, was shocked when I read all the things it could do being GPS enabled. I had mine hooked up to my plotter.

If you aren't familiar...

If you have a group of friends all with AIS numbers, there are things it will do.

I could call you, and tell the radio which channel to talk on. Your radio will ring. When you pick up my call, your radio will automatically change to the channel I designated.

I could send you a position request, your radio can be set to automatically respond to that request, and vice-versa, sending me your lat/lon, which then would appear on my plotter.

you can send out public anouncement messages to other AIS radios, for instance (log in the water outsdie HMB Harbor, headed west)

You hit the red button, every vessel in the area will get your SOS and your lat/lon instantly, meaning more than likely help arriving well before the CG

With all the technology in the AIS radios, I would have thought one would cost $500-$600

Upvote 0

Barkoff

Parker 2320
Oct 6, 2010
Hollister CA USA
Name
Mike
Boat
Dorothy G
When it says “no AIS BUILT IN” I believe it means no AIS transmitter.
But this has all the features mentioned
A lot of technology for $250

Upvote 0

Barkoff

Parker 2320
Oct 6, 2010
Hollister CA USA
Name
Mike
Boat
Dorothy G
Most important feature

D12CBE87-2B7D-401F-BA01-E05C20D58DD6.png

Upvote 0

Barkoff

Parker 2320
Oct 6, 2010
Hollister CA USA
Name
Mike
Boat
Dorothy G
That article talks about hooking your radio to a gps source, the radios today come with their own gps source.
I know a couple of guys with these radios, too lazy to learn them, they use them just like an old vhf and will still call “hey where you at?” 😡🤬
pisses me off🤨

• Haha
Reactions: Blackfish
Upvote 0