KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
Mar 4, 2009
Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
Name
Kim
Boat
26' Duckworth..."Mayhem"
I will be putting a Furuno TZTouch 3 16” unit on my boat that’s being built. Plan is the thru hull B275LHW transducer. The electronic sales guy in California where the boat is being built is really pushing the dff3d Multibeam also. I’d like to have it but after the beating my retirement accounts have taken recently I’m not all that hot in dropping another 3 to 4 grand in the DFF3D + transducer. Furuno makes some combo transducers. Their only combo thru Hull is the multibeam + your standard 50/200 So no CHIRP. The other combo is a pocket mount that has the multibeam element + the 275LHW. Perfect!! except it’s a pocket mount which would be more expense chopping a hole in the boat and glassing in.

Soooo my question....has anyone used a pocket mount Transducer and what kind of performance did you get at speed? You’d think a thru Hull with a faring block would keep the ducer in cleaner water versus basically a flush mount that a pocket transducer is but maybe not. Haven’t a clue actually. The combo is expensive but less than buying two transducers.

I‘m going “for now” all Furuno.....TZTouch 3 unit 16”, NXT radome for Radar, SCX20 satellite compass instead of a heading sensor...only way to go as far as I’m concerned and a Furuno pilot. I doubt I’ll get the DFF3D but thinking about it thus the question of the pocket ducer.

Install....ugh is expensive. I should probably do it myself but want it done when I get the boat.

OMEGA

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 17, 2007
WA
Name
MCS
Boat
40 Cabo FB
Looks like a great system. I would pass on the 3D and stick with your first thought. B275LHW. I have heard a lot of positive things about the SCX20 and TZT3.

Walker Inc.

Jun 24, 2013
Gig Harbor, WA
Name
Patrick Walker
Boat
33 ft. Coldwater Walkaround
Kim-
Stick with the 275. You can always add the DFF-3D later. They make a couple of stainless thru hull options for that ducer

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
Mar 4, 2009
Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
Name
Kim
Boat
26' Duckworth..."Mayhem"
Yup thanks guys. The combination for the DFF3D with the 275 must be too big or something so they only do it in pocket version. I was thinking the combination ducer would be cheaper than two separate but the install of the pocket could get costly. I’m just going with the 275 to start. Gotta separate my commercial fishing thinking away from sport But it’s hard not to.

pthein

Dorado
May 14, 2006
SF
Name
Phil
Boat
35' Cabo / Intrepid
If your electronics guy is pushing the 3D get him to prove it’s worth with an on water demonstration. Then it will either sell itself or not.... and if you do get an on water demonstration, be sure to post a few pictures and your experience.

Last edited:

Walker Inc.

Jun 24, 2013
Gig Harbor, WA
Name
Patrick Walker
Boat
33 ft. Coldwater Walkaround
If your electronics guy is pushing the 3D get him to prove it’s worth with an on water demonstration. Then it will either sell itself or not.... and if you do get an on water demonstration, be sure to post a few pictures and your experience.
The furuno 3D module is the best on the market. Pair it with an SC20 satellite compass, a bottom discriminating transducer, and a PBG module in Timezero Pro And you have almost the equivalent of a WASSP bottom mapping sonar. It’s beyond fucking bad ass

kwik_wurk

Apr 10, 2012
Indianola & Browns Point
Name
kwik_wurk
Boat
Montauk, Sailfish 2360, and Johnson18
I intend to get a TM275LHW in the next week or so. So no report, other than the spec’s seem pretty decent for most salmon and tuna fishing, but will probably be too broad a cone for precise structures on deep halibut/ling.

My concern was Garmin XSV series actually putting 1kw to each element vs 500w + 500w = 1kw.

Airmar said the elements will get 1kw each. (based on what they know) — Still trying to confirm with Garmin.

kwik_wurk

Apr 10, 2012
Indianola & Browns Point
Name
kwik_wurk
Boat
quick report, the transom mount tm275lhw was awesome. — Did not play around too much with settings (gain/rejection/etc); mostly left the Garmin to auto. (will get it dialed on another trip)

And found the “low wide” element actually worked better. Stronger returns/marks, and the fish and bait ball separation/definition was about the same.

At 28 knots the auto-Garmin tracked the bottom up to ~300’. When manually set, one can see the bottom returns down to ~500’ (didn’t look at deeper water).

And the dual element TM units are huge...I could only imagine the size of the fairing block/pocket mount would be.

Reactions: Tomictime and KimH

OMEGA

Dec 17, 2007
WA
Name
MCS
Boat
40 Cabo FB
quick report, the transom mount tm275lhw was awesome. — Did not play around too much with settings (gain/rejection/etc); mostly left the Garmin to auto. (will get it dialed on another trip)

And found the “low wide” element actually worked better. Stronger returns/marks, and the fish and bait ball separation/definition was about the same.

At 28 knots the auto-Garmin tracked the bottom up to ~300’. When manually set, one can see the bottom returns down to ~500’ (didn’t look at deeper water).

And the dual element TM units are huge...I could only imagine the size of the fairing block/pocket mount would be.
No such thing as low wide. It is low freq and high wide freq.

kwik_wurk

Apr 10, 2012
Indianola & Browns Point
Name
kwik_wurk
Boat
Technically true, that it’s a not a Low Wide. Mis-stated. I was transmitting at 42kHz which is 25 degree beam/cone. (widest it will transmit.) The Hi is 25-30 degree beam/cone, and i had it at 250 kHz so like 27 degree cone. I was trying compare the two elements keeping the beam widths the same and not play with the garmin/GSD too much. Locking it to the lowest 42kHz (widest) and the highest 250 kHz frequency was what i did. Didn’t get around to playing with all the gain reject etc settings in the unit, more than i could adjust in one trip. (first shake down with all new electronics)

Reactions: Tomictime

easydoesit86

nubbie
Apr 6, 2008
lacey wa usa
Name
maarten
Boat
22' 672 Campion "Skidder"
Anyone know of a low/narrow beam? Seems like all the low range transducer have a beam over 20 d. I look a few years ago and gave up. Althought my 200w seems to work ok hali fishing (700') I'd think a low/narrow would work better

OMEGA

Dec 17, 2007
WA
Name
MCS
Boat
40 Cabo FB
Kwik- Makes sense. I hear good things abou the 275 series lhw in both transom mount and thru hull.

Reactions: Tomictime

OMEGA

Dec 17, 2007
WA
Name
MCS
Boat
40 Cabo FB
Anyone know of a low/narrow beam? Seems like all the low range transducer have a beam over 20 d. I look a few years ago and gave up. Althought my 200w seems to work ok hali fishing (700') I'd think a low/narrow would work better
Medium freq I have heard has some advantages like what you are looking for. 85khz is 16 degrees.

Reactions: easydoesit86