TOTW

Time On The Water
  • Dec 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris L
    Boat
    Leo's
    Several years ago my friend Kevin started the idea of touring the long range fleet to see what each operation has to offer. I’ve joined him on many of these trips, and since I missed out on his first spin with the Intrepid, I decided I should join him on round two this weekend. This was a super-extended 1.5 day trip that had an early 11AM departure (Sunday) and returned this morning.
    We were holding out hope for those larger units we happened upon a couple weeks ago, but these fish never showed. It was much more of a finesse game all around. JP was a 32# model that came in the morning on a jig. I had success with light line and smaller hooks and sardines—landing 2 of three hooked. Several other fish were also boated on the faster sinking flat falls, flat sided, snipers, etc. I did hang one larger fish that I’m guessing was 50-60lbs but that battle ended quickly in the fish’s favor after a couple good runs. I was overmatched using 25-lb and a small j-hook.
    If I were heading back out tonight, I’d be sure to have some smaller flat falls and some snipers in the mix—along with some light fluoro and size 1 or 2 j-hooks. Incidentally, I think all the bait fish were on fly line—no sinker fish were caught. I did put in some time with a bridled flat fall, but could not make it happen. The crew was intrigued with the bridle idea, so I left that rigged lure on the boat for them to try—not sure how easy it will be to get any feedback!
    Lastly, my overall impression of the Intrepid and its crew were very good. They really do work hard to make everything a great experience. The boat does have a lot of little luxuries! My only beef is with the house overhang that does not play nice with any rod over 7’6”. This is not unique to this boat, however.
    I didn’t take a bunch of pics this trip, but Bill used my mug on the Intrepid page, so I’ve copped that to close out. Hit me up if I can highlight anything for you in preparation for an upcoming trip.
    DF4E71FB-83D3-4A33-BBE2-DAF260422571.png

Last edited:

Pitchinwedge

• Aug 7, 2016
    So Cal
    Name
    Sammie
    Boat
    None
    Longer rods are the norm now. Most of mine are 8' and I own just about as many rods longer than 8' as I do that are shorter. Intrepid sounds like a good operation, though. I might have to make an exception even though I'm trying to stay away from boats with short overhangs.

Reactions: TOTW
    Upvote 0

Fishhead17

Almost A Member
    Nov 20, 2017
    Northern CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Willie
    What kind of tackle station does the Intrepid have? Will SKB tackle boxes with rod holders work? Almost all my rods are 8-footers now. Is there room to store them diagonally along side the boat. Will they let u store extra tackle topside?
    thanks, Mike

Bill W
    Bill W
    I have rod racks for long rods that work on top deck wood rails. Unfortunately the Intrepid does not have wood rails on top deck.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

streetnfish

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jun 7, 2009
    south pasadena
    Name
    Ray
    Boat
    Float tube
    What kind of tackle station does the Intrepid have? Will SKB tackle boxes with rod holders work? Almost all my rods are 8-footers now. Is there room to store them diagonally along side the boat. Will they let u store extra tackle topside?
    thanks, Mike
    Tackle ststion will fit SKBs and holders.. (make sure you can tie them down good. (Saw 1 tip over once in very rough/hurricane weather)

There is room up top for rods as well as PLENTY of room up front for longer rods placed diagonally. I take several (5-6) 8-9 foot rods on my trips along with other passengers and we are never even close to filling up all the holders. Remember this isn't a small cattle boat filled to capacity. These are limited load trips on a 100+ foot boat.

Upvote 0

TOTW

Time On The Water
  • Dec 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris L
    Boat
    Leo's
    thanks, Mike

I stored my rods at an angle along the side, and put a few in the rod holders on my tackle box. The rod racks have a lower shelf-type deal that keeps the rod butts secure and just off the deck. To get longer rods into the holders, you have to put the tip in under the overhang and tilt butt back and let it sit on the deck—this will make sense when you do it. The tackle area will accommodate SKBs. The station just forward of the bait tank is fairly high—I’m 6’3” and had to stand on my toes to see into the top of my bag. The crew told me I could keep stuff up top if I wanted, but I didn’t end up needing to.
    Here’s the station by the tank. There is also storage at the galley entrances with pretty good clearance on the shelves.
    CA91A531-9F0F-4E0B-B914-56E83BE1F298.jpeg

The crew said this was the 1-3 day line up. On longer trips that row is all SKBs!

Upvote 0

TOTW

Time On The Water
  • Dec 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris L
    Boat
    Leo's
    Tackle ststion will fit SKBs and holders.. (make sure you can tie them down good. (Saw 1 tip over once in very rough/hurricane weather)

There is room up top for rods as well as PLENTY of room up front for longer rods placed diagonally. I take several (5-6) 8-9 foot rods on my trips along with other passengers and we are never even close to filling up all the holders. Remember this isn't a small cattle boat filled to capacity. These are limited load trips on a 100+ foot boat.
    Yes! Secure your boxes! We had very rough weather and one guy set up his box and fully loaded its holders with combos. It toppled and put at least one of his rigs out of commission.

Upvote 0

Fishhead17

Almost A Member
    Nov 20, 2017
    Northern CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Willie
    Thanks Streetnfish and TTOW. Very much appreciate your feedback. Will be doing my first trip on the Intrepid, a 7-day in early June and wanted to set my mind at ease re tackle arrangements.

Upvote 0

TOTW

Time On The Water
  • Dec 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris L
    Boat
    Leo's
    This is awesome! Have you done similar for the Shogun, or Excel?
    I’ve done a few trip reports for the Shogun. Some were pretty pic heavy which would give a good feel for its layout. I’ve only ridden the Excel once in 2014, so I’m probably not the best information source for their operation. It was quite nice—I do remember that much!

Upvote 0

fishin_kid

Almost A Member
    Sep 5, 2012
    riverside
    Name
    David
    Boat
    nada
    Yes! Secure your boxes! We had very rough weather and one guy set up his box and fully loaded its holders with combos. It toppled and put at least one of his rigs out of commission.
    What are you using to secure your box? I recently picked up a predator bag.

Upvote 0

TOTW

Time On The Water
  • Dec 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris L
    Boat
    Leo's
    What are you using to secure your box? I recently picked up a predator bag.
    I use a combination of rubber tie downs and tuna cord, and run the tie downs over the inside of the rod tubes. I’m sure there are other more creative solutions out there, too.

Reactions: fishin_kid
    Upvote 0