Another Saturday at San Clemente Island / 8/11/18 Report

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by get some, Aug 13, 2018.

1. get some

get some So Cal Editor BD Writer

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    Robalo 226 Cayman
    Decker and I did our weekly San Clemente Island run on Saturday and were joined by his stepson Briggs who was fired up to try and catch a tuna or dorado on the way across. Decided to pick up a half scoop of sardines in case we saw something worth fishing for. Ended up finding some some dolphin with a big jag of tuna on them at the Mackerel Bank and realized that we hadn't rigged up any live bait rods. After spending quite a while trying to locate a pack of hooks and get rigged up (this was the first hook I've tied on anything other than a marlin caster in at least two years lol) we chased the dolphin down again but never found the tuna. It was a really big area of dolphin and apparently there was only one isolated school of tuna under it. We gave up on tuna fishing in less time than it took me to locate and tie on the hook and I gladly cut it off and replaced it with a hard bait.

Started at Gold Bluff and the current was smoking uphill. The bass usually don't like that current direction along the front and Saturday was no different. Northwest Harbor was showing as closed on the island's website so we were going to run south but once we got off the island a bit we saw several boats fishing up there so it didn't look like the Navy was enforcing the closure. This is the third week in a row that the area has showed closed but had not been enforced. We even saw a Navy boat with guys fishing off it.
    The conditions just above Wilson Cove looked amazing but the kelp was absolutely devoid of any bass. Hit a couple more spots in Northwest Harbor for no bites and then ran out the 9 to look for yellows. The 9 was lifeless but the current was screaming across it to the point where the surface looked like a river. As we were leaving we saw some birds working back towards northwest harbor and as we approached found a football field foamer of calicos chasing anchovies in that river-like current. Started out fishing hard baits and it was wide open on 1 to 4 pound fish. A spot of yellows came up in the middle of it all and I cast my Sebile Stikk Shad into them but a big calico got to it before a yellow could. 39026966_10209739144235402_1074770378473078784_o.jpg

Briggs got a cast on the yellows too and was immediately bit on the SP Minnow. You can see him fighting the fish in the background of the pic. This was a good sized yellow and we were in shallow water and kelp so he had to pull hard. Apparently he pulled a little too hard because he straightened out the 3X Owner Treble hook on the bait. I think 65# braid to 60# fluoro is a little too heavy for hard bait fishing.
    IMG_1329.jpg

The yellows stuck around for a bit so I switched to my jig stick with a Tady Starman 112. I had three yellows bite the jig and watched all three of them dog bone the jig and not get the hook. It was very frustrating to say the least. The bass bit the jig too and at times it would be multiple bites per cast. The fish were keyed in on rice so they weren't biting the jig solidly which resulted in many lost fish, some of them absolute giants. After a while we started messing around with different baits and I caught several fish walking the dog with a YoZuri Hydro Pencil. Decker tied a popper on and caught several that way as well but the bigger bites were all on the jig.
    38949119_10209739143915394_6254453194592616448_o.jpg 38936135_10209739145155425_4911023858611388416_o.jpg 39086614_10209739144115399_6601613485572882432_o.jpg

The bite slowed down after about an hour but we'd had enough and left the island with 60 to 80 fish and at least another 200 missed bites. Didn't get any monsters but who cares when the fishing is that wide open. Looked around on the way home but didn't see anything exciting. Calm conditions the whole way home had us in the harbor by 2:30 and we were cocktail in hand on Decker's patio by 3:30. Heard that the guys that stayed a couple hours longer got absolutely punished on the ride home.

Untitled.jpg

BTW I’ve decided that the Rainshadow RCJB106H is my favorite jig stick ever (and I’ve fished them all). I wasn’t really sure that I liked it when I first got it because it felt too stiff, but after catching everything from calico bass to 40 pound yellows and 50 pound tuna on it the last few months, I can say that it’s a good fit for any so cal application.

2. fishfish

fishfish I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    Sold and Gone!!!
    Not only are your reports awesome but your pictures/mapping skills are amazing !!!
    Keep em coming and thanks for the continued education !!!

get some likes this.
  3. dctalk523

dctalk523 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    ChoeMan
    Boat:
    Never
    :appl:

get some likes this.
  4. the SLIDER

the SLIDER https://multimediabylj.com

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    arima - the SLIDER
    upload_2018-8-13_10-19-13.png

What's the price for a Non Pro Staffer?

5. get some

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    Robalo 226 Cayman
    The blank is around $140 and I think Chark Bait sells them built for under $300.

the SLIDER likes this.
  6. Croaker.Stroker

Croaker.Stroker Old White Guy

Name:
    Croaker
    Boat:
    Arima Sea Pacer
    Nice report. Thanks for the rod endorsement, I’m going to have to look into that. My S.Seeker SSCSW908 is my go to, but it’s a one-off. So, eventually I will have to find a replacement.

get some likes this.
  7. MurdaJ

MurdaJ Newbie

Name:
    JDawg
    Boat:
    BayWitch II
    Holy crap, Briggs grew up! We used to fish Newport bay when I worked at daveys locker back in 05-07

get some likes this.
  8. PacificPredator

PacificPredator Captain

Name:
    Brad
    Boat:
    29' Phoenix Sportfisher
    Thanks the report, wow, nice colors on those checkers!

get some likes this.
  9. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Way to go guys, a stellar day for sure!

get some likes this.
  10. John S.

John S. Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    1996 Seaswirl 1850 W/A
    I do love your no BS reports. What worked, the conditions and the honesty. I would kill to fish those calicos on an 8 or even 10 weight fly rod. I get into them down here but not in the sizes that you guys are pulling them in.

John

get some likes this.
  11. mrkrabs

mrkrabs I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Marty
    Boat:
    Lard ass
    :jig::jig::cheers::lux::finger::urno1:

get some likes this.
  12. Hugh Kollar

Hugh Kollar Newbie

Name:
    SEABGB
    Boat:
    SEABGB Grady 282 Sailfish
    YEAH, Great report and pictures of some beauties!! Well done!

get some likes this.
  13. Bitedb8

Bitedb8 Fisherman

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    Grady-White 228
    Great report thanks
    Where do you launch from when you go to SCI?

14. get some

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    Robalo 226 Cayman
    Launch out of Newport when we take Decker’s boat because he lives 10 minutes from the ramp. Launch out of Alamitos Bay when we take mine because I live 10 minutes from that ramp. Newport makes for a better angle running home on windy days but not enough to justify towing my boat all the way there to launch.

repo805 likes this.
  15. namotuman

namotuman Afflicted with Boat Envy

Name:
    ned
    Boat:
    9'8" cooperfish mello yello modelo
    As always....well done!

get some likes this.