Shimano Penn

I Should Upgrade My Account
Dec 3, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
David
Boat
Fond Memory
Last few trips out, 3/4 days and overnights, I've felt like I want to go a tad lighter. I watch guys tossing sardines easily with long, whippy rods and light reels while I struggle with my mostly ~30lb rated and all 7' sticks. The reels I usually take are; Torium 20, Torium 30hg, TLD 15, Diawa X-40 SHA. I was thinking of trying a baitcaster like the Lexa 400HS-P, there is one in the classified section I'm trying to buy. So the question is; what rod? From what I've seen it seems something 8', light with the pistol grip is the way to go but I'm open to suggestions. I know people will rave about some Phoenix rod but I'm not dropping $3-400 on this, I'll start with a used reel and maybe under $200 for the rod to see how I like it.
Ideas? Again the idea is to be able to toss those light little sardines away from the crowd.

Upvote 0

loosendrag

Jul 13, 2006
Greater Los Angeles Area
Name
John
Boat
None
Last few trips out, 3/4 days and overnights, I've felt like I want to go a tad lighter. I watch guys tossing sardines easily with long, whippy rods and light reels while I struggle with my mostly ~30lb rated and all 7' sticks. The reels I usually take are; Torium 20, Torium 30hg, TLD 15, Diawa X-40 SHA. I was thinking of trying a baitcaster like the Lexa 400HS-P, there is one in the classified section I'm trying to buy. So the question is; what rod? From what I've seen it seems something 8', light with the pistol grip is the way to go but I'm open to suggestions. I know people will rave about some Phoenix rod but I'm not dropping $3-400 on this, I'll start with a used reel and maybe under $200 for the rod to see how I like it.
Ideas? Again the idea is to be able to toss those light little sardines away from the crowd.
Under $200, you should check out Daiwa Proteus rods IMO.
They are surprisingly well built with quality components. The blank feels sort of like Phenix. You'll be surprised how strong the backbone it has.
Go visit a shop and play with some of them.

Upvote 0

Grmanrocks

Almost A Member
Aug 17, 2006
Newport Beach, CA
Name
Spencer
Boat
26' Navy Whaleboat
lots of choices out there.

the older shimano teramars (brown blank split grip style) were awsome, still some around at shops.

i suggest looking at swimbait and umbrella sticks from other manufacturers as well, (okuma guide select, daiwa dx) most of them will fit the bill.

look for a 12" or longer rear grip, double footed guides throughout, and buy a line class lighter than you think you want. that will help with loading up with a light live bait.

as for the proteus, the butt section is really short, same with the new teramars (excluding the cork handled models, those seem to be on point!) and makes really leaning into a cast awkward.

Upvote 0

mackereljoe

Apr 1, 2007
Long Beach
Name
Joey
Boat
None
Graftech inshore (15-25) with a baitcast reel works great, able to fling small live bait and don't have to wait for deckhand to gaff fish under 6 pounds, just bounce it onboard. Also, my Shimano teramar South East 76H works good, softer tip with enough back bone to bounce the 3 B. Kinda silly yelling for help for somebody to gaff your fish under 5 pounds, so make sure it has enough backbone and pull on it.

Upvote 0

Paulo Grandez

Sep 28, 2014
Name
Paulo
Boat
N/A
Cousins Raze series

St. Croix Tidemaster

Both rods are great and can handle anything our local islands can throw at us and both are made in the USA (I can't believe their not more expensive)

Reactions: herbc
Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Practice casting, its probably more of a technique issue than a rod or reel issue.

Are you fishing from a drifting or an anchored boat? Different casts for each situation.

The reels you are using if properly lubed and tuned are more than capable of flylining anchovies, much less a sardine.

People are casting sardines on 100lb+ test now pretty easily with a little technique.

Upvote 0

Mickeyfin

Mickeyfin
Jul 18, 2003
santa monica,ca.
Name
Mickeyfin
Boat
no
got a lamiglas x11hbc 8ft rated 15-40 from Turners for 100 bucks. Whippy tip for bait and plenty of backbone. Feels like a $300 Loomis
go gettum
Mick

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
If you can find a used Seeker inshore, they are bad ass as a bait stick. You will definitely want to cast lures once you get your hands on that Lexa, so I'd go with a Cousins Raze or a Shadowstalker

Upvote 0

Shimano Penn

I Should Upgrade My Account
Dec 3, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
David
Boat
Fond Memory
Practice casting, its probably more of a technique issue than a rod or reel issue.

Yea I totally get that there is some "operator error" involved here, but still I notice others having the same issues. Besides, it's an excuse to buy some new gear which makes my inner tackle ho happy :)

The used Lexa 400 isn't gonna happen, too far away. Probably overkill anyway? Now the plan is to forget buying used and pick up one of the new HD300 HS or XS-P reels. I'm guessing the same rods mentioned are still appropriate? Also wondering if Daiwa makes a suitable rod since, after all, they make the reel :D

Upvote 0