Start Me Up Sportfishing

LundieF

Jul 3, 2009
Haiku
Name
Lundie
Boat
20' Shamrock WA, Maka 'oi 'oi II
Unfortunately, because this is going to be a state run program, i'm sure they'll fuck it up. They'll focus on getting paid rather than ensuring that boaters get the right information to become safer while on the water.

We disagree on a bit, but this right here is exactly right. If the benefit outweighed the inconvenience it'd be a good thing. Got a feeling it won't.

Upvote 0

popoki

Nov 20, 2009
Formerly of Hanapepe Kauai, now Honolulu
Name
Quintin
Boat
"Ho'oKele" 26 Alii Kai
its sad to see how many are willing to be nay Sayers instead of trying to be proactive. seeing as how the "new law" is just about signed in, there's not much we can do at the moment.
I would encourage everyone here to write to the Gov. and the other parties in charge, and express your thoughts; for or against. this will at least show him that we are willing to take part in this process, hopefully giving us a chance to rewrite this so that it works for us.

Upvote 0

LundieF

Jul 3, 2009
Haiku
Name
Lundie
Boat
What do you mean sad? Maybe not everybody, but I'm sure some of the people who disagree with this law will go to the meetings, submit testimony, and do their best to change it to something a little better. Nothing wrong with being a "nay Sayer" for a poorly written law.

Upvote 0

popoki

Nov 20, 2009
Name
Quintin
Boat
"Ho'oKele" 26 Alii Kai
last nights meeting had may 40 people as far as I can tell only 10 might have given testimony.
theres nothing wrong with being a "nay Sayer" for a poorly written law, if you do something. to many people would rather be nay sayers then be proactive.
truth is we are going to have to deal with some sort of this law in the very near future, Lundie if your a license operator then no sweat to you.

Upvote 0

LundieF

Jul 3, 2009
Haiku
Name
Lundie
Boat
Yup, I hear you. I'll do my part as far as letter writing goes. Planning to hit the meeting tonight too. Its true that I won't have to ever take the class, but some of the guys I fish with will, and also will have to tuck a copy of my license away somewhere dry on the boat. Guys should definitely do their best to be heard, either for or against.

Upvote 0

East Side

Certified Masterb8er
Feb 16, 2010
Kaneohe
Name
James
Boat
23' Custom, Caroline II
Enforce the laws & regs already in place!!!!! DLNR is weak & drag ass on everything.
Why tack on more bullshit that they can't even handle just for some table scraps worth of money.

They should have Coast Guard come in K-bay every weekend & enforce all the fckn clowns....not just holidays.

I really don't give a shit about the license. I'll eventually get it I think it you've had the boat registered in your name longer than 10 years or have had a boat for a period longer than 5 years you should be exempt.

But some of us rarely come in contact with any 'enforcement' much. Leave the harbor 4am get in after dark most times.

Upvote 0

HelluvaBoater

Kihei, Hawaii
Mar 7, 2012
Maui
www.facebook.com
Name
Matt Reigle
Boat
Force 28'
I refuse this bill in it's entirety because it is proposed under false pretenses and it provides unnecessay funds of an overfunded department that would rather hurt the community than protect our land and resources. It will put many business around the state out of business and add yet another fee to the wallets of Hawai'i boat owners' already-rising costs.

In their May 26th news release regarding the proposed rule, DLNR has already admitted the law is about money by complaining about the cost to removed boats that sank and washed up on shore. They complain, "the DLNR has paid out in excess of $860,000 in the last 10 years to remove boats that ran aground or sank in State waters."

They also say, "it will protect marine life", but, how. I think that if someone is going to hit something, they will hit it regardless of taking a four-hour class. People never take a boat on the ocean without regard to safety. Anyone who would, usually already had a mishap or two in life that prevented them from every getting behind the wheel of a boat anyway. These kinds of people wouldn't take the class anyway, and even if they did, they would get nothing out of it. It's pointless.

DLNR says in their newsletter that people should have a license for driving a boat, just like people should have a license for driving a car. Well, driving a car is not at all like driving a boat. Anyone who's ever driven a boat knows this. There's about 1% of the traffic, and much less to hit. People don't turn 16 and automatically get a boat. Not everyone has a boat, and people usually get into boats gradually when they have a passion and natural respect for the ocean. People are usually taught by parents, uncles, friends, or take classes on their own. Forcing people to take a pointless class is not the right way to go about this.

The only ones who really seem to support the bill are DLNR, DOBOR, the people teaching the courses, NASBLA, the ones who make the boating tests, and huge safety organizations like the National Transportation Safety Board, Coast Guard Auxiliary Hawai'i, Hawai'i Ocean Safety Team, etc. Just huge faceless organizations that could never say no to safey. I have only heard of one other person besides these big faceless organizations that actually supports the bill. Everyone else I have seen respond to the bill, we are talking about hundreds of people, are against it. No one at any of the meetings at either Maui or Honokohau supported the bill. All were against it.

The saddest and sickest part of this whole thing is, the DLNR is trying to promote "safey", when they are just trying to get more funds for more toys and another reason to stop anybody, for anything, anytime, anywhere. You can't blame them really, it's a great opportunity. There was one or two more deaths this year in Hawaii, both by caused experienced boaters who would have probably had the license anyway. I know for sure one would have been exempt from it because they had a captain's license. The deaths were highly publized in newspapers and televisions. When our elected legislature decided not to make a law on the issue, DOBOR saw an opportunity for funds and stepped in to make the law.

The fact is, this is not about safety and it will not make things safer. Hawai'i has averaged only 2.88 deaths per year since 1995. This law is, admittedly, about money. The law will hurt our state and inconvenience a large portion of our residents. It will destroy many business that generate millions of dollars in business each year and bring in thousands of tourists each year. It will be expensive for our inefficient DLNR and it definitely will not save any lives.

Upvote 0

grander007

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 10, 2007
Honolulu
Name
zzzz
Boat
46, Bertram, Deep Blue
The dlnr are a bunch of clowns that can't even track / enforce basic insurance requirements for the boats in their harbors. Now they are going or design some kind of required safety test that can somehow wait 2 yrs to go into effect? In that case I am finally going to take that damn captains course to stay out of those dlnr clowns so called jurisdiction. Those clowns should be required to take some bidness classes at HCC.

Tight lines,

Upvote 0

popoki

Nov 20, 2009
Name
Quintin
Boat
"Ho'oKele" 26 Alii Kai
I agree with what your saying Maka. what you need to realize is that this law is only a signature away. so simply speaking your mind and and disagreeing will do no good. on one of the pages in this thread is a link to address for the Gov' write to the the gov and express your disagreeement, everybody needs to do this!!!

Grander, getting a capts license is one way to do it. if this is your first license be prepared to cough up about 2g's for it and go for it soon the USCG will be tightening restrictions at the end of this year or so they say.

Upvote 0

FASTWATER

Almost A Member
Dec 12, 2006
seattle
Name
DLR
Boat
alumaweld sled,drift boat, campion discovery bay boat
So if I have a NASBLA card from the mainland will I have to take the test in H awaii and get a new card just curious since it will matter to me?!!!PEACE

Upvote 0

grander007

May 10, 2007
Honolulu
Name
zzzz
Boat
46, Bertram, Deep Blue
I agree with what your saying Maka. what you need to realize is that this law is only a signature away. so simply speaking your mind and and disagreeing will do no good. on one of the pages in this thread is a link to address for the Gov' write to the the gov and express your disagreeement, everybody needs to do this!!!

Grander, getting a capts license is one way to do it. if this is your first license be prepared to cough up about 2g's for it and go for it soon the USCG will be tightening restrictions at the end of this year or so they say.

Thanks for the heads up!

Upvote 0

grander007

May 10, 2007
Honolulu
Name
zzzz
Boat
46, Bertram, Deep Blue
Thanks for the heads up!
Just passed the HI 'test' on www.boatus.org

Reallly dumb, questions on jetskis, lochs (yes, really!).... What a waste of time, classic local politicians at work......... I guess every boater needs to know about jetskis, kayaks, trailers, etc

About 50% of it was spot on re basic safety, rules of the road, etc.

Tight lines,

Upvote 0

hiroshi808

Nov 2, 2010
Kauai
Name
Ryan
Boat
Hiroshi
how long did it take, 3 to 4 hours?

I remember my uncle, his electric went out. Had to redo the whole thing again. I have heard, that you can do whatever, and go back and finish the rest?

Upvote 0

grander007

May 10, 2007
Honolulu
Name
zzzz
Boat
46, Bertram, Deep Blue
Yeah about right 2-3 hrs. You can save it and come back but the 'final' is harder because you forget the BS stuff like loch rules. I passed every section except the trailer one on the first try, 100% on a few sections, but due to the amount of BS stuff only passed the 'final' with 6% to spare.

Truly a bunch of Bs / useless on over 1/2 of it.

Tight lines,

Upvote 0

finishright

May 17, 2008
Oceanside Ca.
Name
Mike Morris
Boat
prowler kayak
will there be a meeting on Oahu?
I know this sounds like drag and there are many different ways to go about it, but as a commercial operator, I say its time to do something about idiots with boats.
There should be some sort of grandfather law exempting boaters who owned their vessels prior to a law of this sort, are in good standing with the powers that be, and have no prior incidents on record.
now if your a "brand new" ie your first boat.... or you are a prior owner with a recent incident( after the law) then I think you should need some sort of drivers ed.
as a daily operator I see idiots with boats doing things that are very dangerous on the regularly, eventually someone will die as a result and we will pay for it with even more regulation!
those that do go to the meeting(s) lets try to keep the voice calm cool and collected or they'll know we really are nothing but drunken pirates......
all need to get to the meetings on your Island it is a money grab same as here but volume speaks and cool heads will prevail but this man states very good points ie: first time boaters have had close calls when in a kayak I know 16 year olds that have way more experience that some idiot with money just because you can afford a boat doesn't make you smart enough to run one. get to your meetings show volume nice thing about an island they can't hold meeting away from the public like it is here good luck.

Upvote 0

hiroshi808

Nov 2, 2010
Kauai
Name
Ryan
Boat
Hiroshi
Just finish my online class. Took about lil over 4 hrs. I used boat-ed.com
I check boatus.org, for a few days. I guess everyone must be using it, since it saying check back later in the evening/morning. Plus its free.
I paid $29 for boat-ed.com. It says 3hrs to finish, it took 4hrs. Lots of videos and repeated sections. I'm sure they can minimize the time even less, if they stop repeating sections over n over.
Bonus, you can go back and do it where you left off. If you have a high level of ADD. Haha.
Do 1 section a day. Haha!
Whoever didn't, should do it now before it comes closer to that month and flood the network. "Check back later!"

Upvote 0