JFK

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 3, 2008
Santa Cruz, Ca
Name
James
Boat
14' Livingston skiff
Was originally supposed to hunt next week but due to some last minute work stuff and had to re-schedule for this week. The plan was to get a morning hunt in to get a jump on some of the bad weather that was planned to roll in today, so I was on the road by 0400 to the central coast area. Met the guide/property owner a little before 6, loaded up and we're heading back into the property before day break to start looking around at first light.

I last hunted this ranch back in July and the rains we've had really greened it up with a lot of water holes to look for fresh sign. We looked around the area I shot a pig last year for nothing, then drove around to several ridge tops and glassed. Again nothing. We were going to check another side of the ranch when he spots two coyotes and we took a little intermission in our pig hunting to go after the coyotes. We ended up getting one of them.

After that we re-group and head to another side of the ranch for more glassing. See some deer, some more fresh sign of rooting and rubs on trees, then literally out of nowhere approx 30 pigs bolt in front of us. They were moving! We setup on them and the pigs go up a hill and slow down a little. I was looking for a bigger boar but didn't see any, but did see a few nice medium sized pigs. By now most were booking it up hill straight away from us, but one was going a little slower and quartering away from me so I put my crosshairs low behind the shoulder of a nice sow and send one up the hill. It drops instantly....so fast I thought I might have missed cause I lost it in my scope after firing, but I hear a loud squeal, then look up and see a leg kicking out of some tall grass and know I hit it well. Bullet hit right where I wanted it to and took out both lungs. All in all another great trip.

Was shooting a 270 with Barnes 130gr ttsx.

image.jpg

lee337

ahuntnfisherman
Apr 19, 2014
Name
larry lee
Boat
bass boat
Nice pig! Sounds like a great hunt and great shot!!!

JFK

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 3, 2008
Santa Cruz, Ca
Name
James
Boat
14' Livingston skiff
That's a nice size sow. Congrats

Is this a paid guided hunt, or a pay to "hunt the land" hunt?
It's guided by a member of the family that owns the property.

I'd love to find a piece of land that offered access. Tejon is both too far and too expensive for me.

Fresh One

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 10, 2003
Scripps Ranch
Name
Brent
Boat
none
Nice, that is a clean looking sow right there! Good eater.

Barnes TTSX huh? That copper bullet didn't make it run off? Just kidding, I shoot them all the time and the TTSX is not only a very accurate bullet, it kills the shit out of animals. They get a bad rap.

Fresh One

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 10, 2003
Scripps Ranch
Name
Brent
Boat
none
Nice, that is a clean looking sow right there! Good eater.

Barnes TTSX huh? That copper bullet didn't make it run off? Just kidding, I shoot them all the time and the TTSX is not only a very accurate bullet, it kills the shit out of animals. They get a bad rap.

matt86m

Not worthy of a Title
Apr 6, 2010
Fountain Valley, CA
Name
Matt
Boat
20' Tiara Pursuit
Nice looking pig

"It's guided by a member of the family that owns the property."

Does he guide for the general public too?

Interested

MJB

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Mark
Boat
sold it!!
I heard their booked........right?

watersdeep

I've posted enough I should edit this section