Another Mission Belle 4/15 postAgain just a couple of yellows here

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Lake, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Lake

Lake I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Blaine Lake
    Boat:
    none
    I know streetnfish already posted this trip but I was there too and don’t want to poach his post. I wish I lived closer to San Diego because of the great opportunities available for fishing. I remember in the 70’s once the fleet averaged one yellowtail(or albacore) per rod there would be 2,000 anglers(not exaggerating) there fishing, and every boat in the fleet would be out. This last weekend the boats were averaging 3-5 fish per rod so I was anticipating a decent bite with a lot of anglers. I chose the Mission Belle because I was hoping for the lightest load possible, and, for some reason, it seems to fill up last, even though it gets good reviews. Actually all four open party boats that fish the Coronados are good and I don’t think you can go wrong fishing any of them. On this trip I was bringing my son, who really doesn’t fish. I took him on a trip to Catalina a few years ago and he really wanted to catch a yellowtail. I hooked and handed him a fish but after an interaction with a sea lion he got the head back of a very small yellow. The day prior saw about 800 yellows between the four boats So I thought we were prime to get a decent shot. The boat wasn’t even listed as a definite run until Sunday afternoon and I booked it then as the 10th reservation. The other boats were already filling. I was hoping for a lighter load because I didn’t want my son having to go elbow to elbow in a crowded stern. Anyway, we left with 38 passengers. The other three boats were out with 50-60.

My dumbest move of the day was not checking the schedule. The other three boats all leave at 5:30 so I got up at 3:00 to make the drive down to the landing. We watched the Liberty load and get ready to leave. Then another passenger informed me we were scheduled to leave at 6:00. We arrived at the island the same time as the Grande so we certainly weren’t behind on anything. The day prior they’d absolutely slayed the fish around north island so everyone started there. Unfortunately no fish were there. Everyone went off in search mode. We headed down around South Island and spun around on some small marks with no responders. We finally found a mark on the south side of the island where we started a drift a short cast from Ali’s new ride. Very sweet rig! I was going to throw my jig at him so I could be first to scratch his cowling but I held off. I wish I would have taken a picture of it. We got a couple of fish and at least got on the board. For the rest of the day we would search, throw bait on some marks, and hopefully bag a few fish. We never saw any good schools, and I think the best we found gave up 6 or 8 fish. Many of them were dry or gave up a fish or two. Early on it seemed most were caught on the surface and yo yo iron. One spot a guy bagged 2 on bait and I think from then on bait out fished jigs. I spent a lot of time straightening out the backlashes on my son’s reel. I had actually lost sleep trying to figure how to give him his best shot at a fish. I set him up with a Tranx 500HG and 40# line with a 6X jr. I figured he’d be able to drop and wind and with good fishing he’d get some fish. About the second stop I told him we were on the wrong side of the boat for that drift so I went to the other side thinking he’d follow me. I hooked one on a yo yo and called him for a hand off but he was still on the other side and didn’t hear me. I finished the fish off, getting a gaff job right as a sea lion went for the grab so I got one on the board. He was up the rail so I showed it to him and told him to stay closer to me. He was in awe of the size of the fish but they were nothing big. Most were probably 10 to maybe 15 pounds, although there were a few smaller later in the day, including a sub 5 pounder that the guy released. About an hour later, after his bought with sea sickness, we stopped on another mark. I was hanging on the bottom and looked at him and he was too. Brian, a crew member said no it was a yellow. I quickly got my stuff loose and followed him for pictures. He struggled, trying to hold the rod correctly- thank goodness he was using a Tranx and didn’t have to level line- but soon enough had it to color and then to gaff. Brian stayed with him the whole time and got him through tangles and around people. My kid was real worried about getting hit by a dog but he got it clean. It’s now late morning and my day is complete. I’m ecstatic that he got his fish, and it didn’t have to be a hand off.
    We made the move south looking for volume. Steve, the skipper, kept saying these fish are missing. They’d seen so many the day prior he couldn’t believe how scarce they were. I don’t know if we made it all the way to the rock pile but we did get on another spot down there for a few hand fulls but moved back to the islands because there just weren’t that many. We covered all areas and never found any big schools. We fished the shallows and got a few more as well as some numbers of bonito that included some beautiful(maybe 10 pound) fish. Again just a couple of yellows here and there. We finished up near north island where they got them the day prior and found what Steve called the best school of the day and scratched another 6 or 8 fish. All four boats stayed out late. It was near 7:30 when we docked. These guys really wanted to put us on fish. On the way in some guys looked up the counts for the day. The other boats all had 29-30 fish for close to 60 passengers. One of them had a stop in the morning for 29 fish and didn’t get another the rest of the day. We ended up with 45 fish for 38 anglers. I talked with a guy off of another boat and he got one sculpin. It was just tough fishing.

I am really pleased with the Mission Belle. Steve is very personable, works very hard to find fish, communicates well- just a great skipper. Brian and Frank were the crew members and they did a great job. With 38 passengers and only 2 guys working the deck I was impressed how Brian stayed with my son to get his fish. The girl in the galley- forgot her name- was very nice and made great food. I think all four boats down there are good operations but this is the first boat I’ll try for when I get back down. They have a lot of regulars and they were all nice guys, pleasant to be around.

5A522D29-FECD-4649-80CB-9332D3BE07EE.jpeg 273F6CBC-C7B3-41C6-8F06-EE0AD61063E8.jpeg 69117E31-D375-407C-86BD-EDAD9263FD6F.jpeg

2. streetnfish

streetnfish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ray
    Boat:
    Float tube
    Hey Blaine,

Thanks for the detailed report. I was trying to get mine on the board on the way back but reception was spotty so kept it short. Good fishing with you again. Was stoked for your kid on that yellow. I was the guy who gave you the ginger chew for your boy. Looks like they got on them again today :jig:

HighWildFree and Lake like this.
  3. Yella1

Yella1 So Fishy

Name:
    Jarrod
    Boat:
    Pay to Play
    Awesome write-up, Lake. Glad you guys found a few yellas to pull on. Yeah, Capt. Steve runs a GREAT rig. Definitely a classy operation. Nice job.

4. Lake

Name:
    Blaine Lake
    Boat:
    none
    I was pretty impressed that I had service all day at the islands. Certainly better than I’ve ever had at Catalina.

5. tommysdad

tommysdad Member

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Parker 2320
    Great report. Congrats to your son on his YT!

6. Lake

Name:
    Blaine Lake
    Boat:
    none
    By the way, thanks again for the ginger chew. A good example of the cool people on this trip.

7. c sick

c sick "IF YA DON'T GO YA DON'T KNOW"

Name:
    mark
    Boat:
    "C SICK" 255 OS Pursuit
    Good on you dad,that's one of many trip's the both of you will keep in your heart. I'm lucky enough to have lot's of great father and son trip's.

8. c sick

c sick "IF YA DON'T GO YA DON'T KNOW"

Name:
    mark
    Boat:
    "C SICK" 255 OS Pursuit
    P.S. love the son's team. Your doing it all perfect!!

9. Danny

Danny Fish Doper

Name:
    Danny
    Boat:
    SS FAT GUY
    Awesome report!
    Still I can't get away from the fact that 45 yellowtail for 38 guys is not bad! Dam good actually.
    Yes we all remember those wide open times but day in and day out that is a great count.
    Congrats on your son getting his first yellowtail!

10. Lake

Name:
    Blaine Lake
    Boat:
    none
    I agree. We nickeled and dimed a fairly decent day. The fact the one guy got four, a couple got three, several of us caught two, and a total inexperienced newbie caught one shows it was okay. We did have 12 or 13 guys with none though. I wish everyone could have gotten one.

dctalk523 likes this.
  11. Phat Boat

Phat Boat I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    Grady White Marlin 300
    Great report thanks for posting.

12. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    Nice report! What family memories are made of.

13. Baller

Baller Jig Chucker

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    American Angler
    Nice job Doc..

14. Capt Devo

Capt Devo Fish Hard

Name:
    Devo
    Boat:
    Trophy
    Best report ever that's the Way to Roll....Brian and Franko are awesome and you are right it is always that the fish bit wide open the day before....lol You are #1 Dad!!!

15. kuyamonster

kuyamonster I only wishes to catch some fishes...

Name:
    Marcel
    Boat:
    Limited load cattle car
    Great work, Blaine. Love your report and seeing the next generation getting "hooked" is close to my heart. The Belle is one of my favorite boats. Steve Peterson and Tony are solid captains plus Brian, (how's my hair look?) and Karen are two of my favorite deckhands. May have been Cassie or Karen in the galley cooking that day? Glad you had fun with your son and extending my personal thank you again last season for your generous fishing rod donation to one of my charity charters on the Alicia out of H & M. Hoping you have a stellar pelagic season this year!
    Much mahalo...
    Marcel

16. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Fine job!