Saltwater Another kick ass Sekiu fishing report

Hot_Pursuit

Jun 21, 2013
Seabeck
Name
Eric
Boat
2022 Pursuit OS325
TLDR: Fishing at Sekiu is friggin hot right now. Spent all last week at Sekiu on the new Pursuit. It was an awesome week. So many coho there, but was difficult to find the finless ones. We started counting our fish “encounters” every day, we averaged about 45 fish per day to get our hatchery limits (2-4 people on the boat each day). We had monster wild fish to about 15 lbs. We were strictly using spoons and fake flashers. I was using the 4” silver Kingslayers spoons and a Swarm Fake flasher, my brother was using 3” green/white coyote spoon with a hotspot flasher rigged to the ball. Our spoons were fished only about 3‘ behind the flashers. Most of our fish were caught in the 60-100’ downrigger depth in 500-650’ of water. We managed to get a few small Halibut, all off the garbage dump. We had Canadian licenses as well and we ventured over to look for halibut and lings, but just ended up burning lots of expensive gas in the search. Theres a spot between Sombrio Pt and Magdalena Pt that I’ve caught large Halibut (214#) and a 400’ spot in the middle of the straight, but there was nothing biting other than tons of dogfish. We also tried for bottomfish off the Jordan river, but I don’t have any spots there and tried exploring a bit, but couldn’t find any good bottom structure to hold fish. I need to pick the brains of the Collective Genious of this group for some good areas and maybe some numbers.
The new boat fished awesome. We did some backtrolling due to the strong current and winds, and the Yamaha 300s with the new Pattern Shift worked awesome to dial in the right speed to keep us steady. The Pattern Shift feature will automatically shift in/out of gear to get you the speed you desire. Works in forward and reverse, but couldn’t figure out how to do it when running a single engine. I don’t think it works when running singles.
On Thursday we fished the garbage dump and it was pretty sporty with about 7’ seas at 7 seconds, along with some wind chop. She handled it great. Super happy with our purchase of this boat and look forward to chasing Tuna next summer.
Fishing was awesome and imagine the fishing in the Sound should be good for awhile with all those coho coming through Sekiu.
Trailering this 15000lb beast went pretty well, but kinda nervous coming around the lake with logging trucks coming the other way. She’s just under 11’ wide and each time I looked back when a logging truck passed there wasn’t a lot of space between us. I guess i need to stop looking back...I dumped her in the water at the Van Rivers Launch. Launching was easy, but loading was a bit sketchy. I need to figure out how deep to soak the trailer, drive on or float on, etc. I bent the arms on my bow roller when we loaded at Misery Point by driving on the trailer, and actually pushed the truck up the ramp a bit. Need more practice to get it dialed in I guess.
1D666889-ECC5-44AE-949B-0C64648B77DF.jpeg
D30CAE2F-38B1-411F-8F5E-651C1CFAE924.jpeg
2889A349-217C-41D7-BE9F-C7822A0C3473.jpeg
E3980B75-A439-4519-B2D1-B109963C0EED.jpeg
C66AA055-2FBA-40DE-AB19-7ECD523B9DB3.jpeg
F58D2D40-EF8D-4883-98F0-DCB3DC8A7A68.jpeg
DEF0E78D-CB7D-4290-9BCE-3B66DC873638.jpeg
A95451E7-B76B-4850-AE8F-FD837A3FE667.jpeg

2C08E61C-EB53-4C1B-B7B5-1969B1673A25.jpeg

11DEBC49-7441-4981-A301-3E077D0F0CCE.jpeg

CA35FF11-CD40-403F-9CA9-2402A90D71E5.jpeg

fishing fanatic

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 12, 2008
Alger, WA
Name
jason
Boat
28’ almar sounder //16' lavro
I’m really glad you had a great trip but I have to say to go through 45 coho to get 6-8 keepers is unethical. Those fish don’t survive C&r well and that’s just way to lopsided. My opinion.

Reactions: k9hohriver

fishing fanatic

May 12, 2008
Alger, WA
Name
jason
Boat
Yes that’s exactly what I’m suggesting

Hot_Pursuit
Hot_Pursuit
In 4 hours of fishing we caught 40+ fish to get our 8 legal for the day, only using two rods. I guess we should have just stopped after the first hour since there were just way too many fish in the water...cmon man get real. If you had kids onboard I’m sure you would just stop and tell them we can’t fish anymore because we are catching too many.
Upvote 0

fishing fanatic

May 12, 2008
Alger, WA
Name
jason
Boat
Just because our wdfw is to stupid to say keep the first two you get doesn’t make it right to “follow the rules” and knowingly knock off that many to get “keepers”.
I want you to know I’m not saying you broke any rules I’m looking at it from a realistic point of view and sometimes that’s hard to do , especially when we have so few options. Not trying to shit on your trip but rather point out a different angle for maybe future thought

Reactions: k9hohriver
Upvote 0

tacklejacked

Capt./ Ho if I get to drive
Jun 2, 2009
Seabeck
Name
Greg
Boat
22 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
Thanks for the report. Everyone up there is experiencing the same type of lights out fishing. We don't make the rules we just follow em...
Good to see ya getting the boat dirty. Surprised ya didnt boat up. Way less stressful than towing.

Reactions: Hot_Pursuit
Upvote 0

Hot_Pursuit

Jun 21, 2013
Seabeck
Name
Eric
Boat
2022 Pursuit OS325
Thanks. I contemplated boating up from Seabeck but decided against it. My boats pretty economical at 1.3 MPG at 30 mph, but with gas at 4.91/g at Olsons I decided to tow. It would cost at least 300$ in fuel to go that 90 miles, each way. Also, I purchased about the largest boat I could tow so that I could fish other places, I need some trailer time to get it all dialed in so I’m more comfortable doing it.

Reactions: MA9
Upvote 0

fishing fanatic

May 12, 2008
Alger, WA
Name
jason
Boat
“We don’t make the rules we just follow them”
The lack of intelligence in this statement is outstanding. When the “rules” work in our favor then hell yeah let’s party, when they don’t let’s get pissed. So we lose 90% of our fishing for bullshit co-manager excuses so they can better their financial situation and control but the one open season left we will look just as ridiculous as they are behind closed doors but we will do it openly and report it so they can leverage with the wdfw to certainly take that away next year? Like I said before I’m aware that’s following the rules and everyone loves catching fish but killing 32 to get 6-8 is bullshit. We’ve all agreed coho don’t do well c&r.
Let’s realize this is also as dumb as the rest of the wdfw bullshit and fight for the first two coho caught get kept? Justifying actions based upon rules is two faced. My opinion

Hot_Pursuit
Hot_Pursuit
We had a day when we ran large 6-7“ spoons to try and minimize how many shakers we were catching, but it didn’t matter. We were still catching a few 12” coho. I don’t think making the rule to keep the first two fish caught will work with that many fish around and how aggressive coho can be. You going to call it a day when your limited on trout sized salmon??
Upvote 0
Beached
Beached
Well in your opinion what do suggest we do? Or better yet what do you do? Look for posts of people getting skunked and fish there?
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

sgwill122

Feb 21, 2011
Redmond/WA/USA
Name
Stephen
Boat
'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
sounds like a great trip. Lots of action to be had in the sound right now and if you stay 10 or south you get to keep the wilds.

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    TLDR: Fishing at Sekiu is friggin hot right now. Spent all last week at Sekiu on the new Pursuit. It was an awesome week. So many coho there, but was difficult to find the finless ones. We started counting our fish “encounters” every day, we averaged about 45 fish per day to get our hatchery limits (2-4 people on the boat each day). We had monster wild fish to about 15 lbs. We were strictly using spoons and fake flashers. I was using the 4” silver Kingslayers spoons and a Swarm Fake flasher, my brother was using 3” green/white coyote spoon with a hotspot flasher rigged to the ball. Our spoons were fished only about 3‘ behind the flashers. Most of our fish were caught in the 60-100’ downrigger depth in 500-650’ of water. We managed to get a few small Halibut, all off the garbage dump. We had Canadian licenses as well and we ventured over to look for halibut and lings, but just ended up burning lots of expensive gas in the search. Theres a spot between Sombrio Pt and Magdalena Pt that I’ve caught large Halibut (214#) and a 400’ spot in the middle of the straight, but there was nothing biting other than tons of dogfish. We also tried for bottomfish off the Jordan river, but I don’t have any spots there and tried exploring a bit, but couldn’t find any good bottom structure to hold fish. I need to pick the brains of the Collective Genious of this group for some good areas and maybe some numbers.
    The new boat fished awesome. We did some backtrolling due to the strong current and winds, and the Yamaha 300s with the new Pattern Shift worked awesome to dial in the right speed to keep us steady. The Pattern Shift feature will automatically shift in/out of gear to get you the speed you desire. Works in forward and reverse, but couldn’t figure out how to do it when running a single engine. I don’t think it works when running singles.
    On Thursday we fished the garbage dump and it was pretty sporty with about 7’ seas at 7 seconds, along with some wind chop. She handled it great. Super happy with our purchase of this boat and look forward to chasing Tuna next summer.
    Fishing was awesome and imagine the fishing in the Sound should be good for awhile with all those coho coming through Sekiu.
    Trailering this 15000lb beast went pretty well, but kinda nervous coming around the lake with logging trucks coming the other way. She’s just under 11’ wide and each time I looked back when a logging truck passed there wasn’t a lot of space between us. I guess i need to stop looking back...I dumped her in the water at the Van Rivers Launch. Launching was easy, but loading was a bit sketchy. I need to figure out how deep to soak the trailer, drive on or float on, etc. I bent the arms on my bow roller when we loaded at Misery Point by driving on the trailer, and actually pushed the truck up the ramp a bit. Need more practice to get it dialed in I guess. View attachment 1319718View attachment 1319719View attachment 1319720View attachment 1319721View attachment 1319722View attachment 1319723View attachment 1319724View attachment 1319725

View attachment 1319726

View attachment 1319727

View attachment 1319728
    GREAT REPORT info, pics. What a load of fish. Solid Work Guys!!

Upvote 0

Team Sency

Fish!! Or be Fished!!!
    Jan 6, 2012
    Black Diamond
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    JuiceBox2
    Jesus Jay! Who pissed in your Cheerios! Grumpydecks!!

I’m your worst offender than…..weather permitting I CNR all day and keep the best quality possible. Limit is secondary to a full day on the pond.

A contender for my dream boat that got to have a killer trip...and that dudes beard is legit!!

Now everyone please repeat after me…….

There are no Ho’s in the Q! Seriously! Never! And forget you saw this post!!!!!……

….possibly needing someone to cancel lodging for next weekend so I can bring the Sency Mini Killers!!

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Nosecrets

Blackmouthers good side
    Jul 6, 2012
    North of seattle
    Name
    Blackmouther
    Boat
    9' bullfrog "mr big"
    Jesus Jay! Who pissed in your Cheerios! You make BlackMouther look sweet and cuddly nowadays!!!

I’m your worst offender than…..weather permitting I CNR all day and keep the best quality possible. Limit is secondary to a full day on the pond.

A contender for my dream boat that got to have a killer trip!

Now everyone please repeat after me…….

There are no Ho’s in the Q! Seriously! Never! And forget you saw this post!!!!!……

….possibly needing someone to cancel lodging for next weekend so I can bring the Sency Mini Killers!!

Oh really,

Reactions: Team Sency
    Upvote 0

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
    Nov 30, 2010
    Redondo/WA
    Name
    Erik
    Boat
    "Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
    Nice report, like the details. That is one HELLUVA a boat. You should be proud. Iv'e had days when we released 60+ pinks/silvers. We do our best to keep them in the water and just a quick "pop" with a dehooker, they swim right away. If you net or handle them it affects their scales and protective slime. BTW, what kind of crowd was there? Good job.....

Upvote 0

Nosecrets

Blackmouthers good side
    Jul 6, 2012
    North of seattle
    Name
    Blackmouther
    Boat
    9' bullfrog "mr big"
    It’s a solid report (no details left out). I think there’s a little bit that could of been left out and I think that’s what maybe is being implied. Saying you caught 34000 fish to keep 8 hatchery fish may not be the right thing based on recent mortality rates of coho in particular. Maybe leave the ego for how many fish you have to catch to keep a limit out. Or don’t. Doesn’t really matter anymore anyway. I was pulled into this because I chose to attempt to help our fisheries by limiting the amount of accuracy as far as location and exacts but ended up in the end being compared to another member trying to do the same thing but not holding back. What’s really fucked about it. I sold my boat years ago and fished with buddies knowing we were going to lose it all so me fighting for it doesn’t make sense anymore. And I really don’t care for salmon either and gave it to my family and friend.

Upvote 0

Chasin' Tail

~Jumpers!!~ <*)))><
    Aug 10, 2008
    Lacey WA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    17' Thor-Built Sled, 27' NorthRiver OS
    I’m really glad you had a great trip but I have to say to go through 45 coho to get 6-8 keepers is unethical. Those fish don’t survive C&r well and that’s just way to lopsided. My opinion.
    Obviously you didnt fish Westport for coho this summmer right??

Because the wild/clipped ratio was pretty much the same there in WP.... and I sure didnt see any Charter boats cancelling trips or moving off the WFO bite that was parked off of GH Buoy for weeks...... I guess we all must be Unethical by your estimation.

I do agree with you on the keep your first 2 idea..... I think less fish would die if the WDFW adopted that idea. (i think the same thing every summer when Im having all the High Finner encounters)

Upvote 0

Team Sency

Fish!! Or be Fished!!!
    Jan 6, 2012
    Black Diamond
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    JuiceBox2
    To add to the concern…..

tribes and state are not clipping(not at a high percentage)……

Two day Neah trip July…..

20 kings….

18 with fins…..

14 of those WILD fish with chips getting 1/3rd head chopped off?!!!?!)??$$??!??!$?!!

Solution….CLIP “ALL” hatchery fish.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Dleonardo

Jul 6, 2016
    Bothell
    Name
    Darren Leonardo
    Boat
    Case of the Mondays
    I get the concept of selective fishing. But the mechanics of enforcing and complying with selective fishing is almost assuredly causing more mortality and loss than abandoning it. The only way it will work is if there is sufficient hatchery stock so that encounters are mostly of the hatchery variety.

Now add the 'encounter' quota model, and fishermen are going to naturally fudge those numbers even more out of pure self interest. Particularly as the process becomes more widely understood and experienced. Leading to even greater native mortality.

The rules as applied and now compounded, incentivize anglers to behave in ways that are entirely counterproductive to conserving or reviving wild stocks. And only fuel frustration, anger and distrust of the entire process and goal.

They'd probably be better served, just abandoning the selective fishery entirely and simply adjust/reduce quota to match. That won't necessarily make friends -- but if the goal is to conserve stocks by creating a system where evading impact on native stocks is the currency of the sport, the effort is going to be doomed to fail.

Co-managers will never get a reliable estimation of wild stock mortality with the way the current system is constructed and that estimation is going to get worse with each successive season.

Reactions: Gmac23
    Upvote 0

tinmaniac

Almost A Member
    Jul 17, 2013
    Washington
    Name
    Bob
    Boat
    Sled
    “We don’t make the rules we just follow them”
    The lack of intelligence in this statement is outstanding. When the “rules” work in our favor then hell yeah let’s party, when they don’t let’s get pissed. So we lose 90% of our fishing for bullshit co-manager excuses so they can better their financial situation and control but the one open season left we will look just as ridiculous as they are behind closed doors but we will do it openly and report it so they can leverage with the wdfw to certainly take that away next year? Like I said before I’m aware that’s following the rules and everyone loves catching fish but killing 32 to get 6-8 is bullshit. We’ve all agreed coho don’t do well c&r.
    Let’s realize this is also as dumb as the rest of the wdfw bullshit and fight for the first two coho caught get kept? Justifying actions based upon rules is two faced. My opinion
    Seriously,you should sell you boat to help save the resource.

Upvote 0

seabeckgrown

Mar 10, 2019
    Kitsap
    Name
    Neil
    Boat
    1999 Smokercraft 172 Salmon
    Awesome report. Had the same experience up there a few weeks ago with the ratio of marked to unmarked fish. Definitely seems to be causing a fair bit of mortality to the fish that regulations claim to be protecting but oh well. Still fun fighting 10-15 fish per person.

Kind of eyeballing a trip up there next Thursday and Friday. Salmon and bottomfish on day one, bottomfish early on day two before heading home. If anyone is interested in linking up/sharing intel, feel free to PM me.

Upvote 0

Scot free

Jul 4, 2009
    Renton,wa,usa
    Name
    tim
    Boat
    24'north river os,"scot free"
    imagine what the nets do !!
    how about first 2 (pick a number 20"..22..24" ?? ) and you are done
    helluva boat

seabeckgrown
    seabeckgrown
    I agree. First two fish of legal size would be far less taxing on the resource. Anyone aware if this has ever been brought up to WDFW? I can imagine their response, just curious if it’s been looked at as an option.
    Upvote 0

Nosecrets

Blackmouthers good side
    Jul 6, 2012
    North of seattle
    Name
    Blackmouther
    Boat
    9' bullfrog "mr big"
    What’s wrong with saying! Sekiu was on fire, green hoochie 65-90’ in the shipping lanes. Biggest 12#! Is that so hard? I caught 47 fish to keep 8 hatchery fish. A limit is a limit. But your choice. If you feel the need to think your a saltwater guy by posting stats, or are you putting food on the table. It’s your choice. Spend 250k on a boat only to sabotage the reason you bought it entirely. My personal experience, landed 65 chinook in a day selectively taking the fish I wanted. Throwing many 12# fish back only to keep 13# fish. Later I thought about it. I gained little to nothing weeding thru the same school. Not the same but I feel like we should all think of the next guy when bragging up how great we think we are.

Upvote 0