Another hook choice thread. Bait hooks for 2-11 day trips.

Dexter Outdoors

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    I had to do something, because my collection of hooks is pathologic. This is a start, not covering the assist hooks, jig hooks, treble hooks, double hooks, flyer hooks – These actually take more room to store. Gotta start somewhere.

• On 100 pound and larger mono or fluoro I use crimps, (regular length, aluminum) so no ring on the hook
    • On 80lb and less, no crimps. So rings might be an option. (I not use a uni knot that is not tightened or any loop knots. The ring-no-ring tradeoff: Ring improves bait motion, but adds additional visible element.
    • For chunking: no ring, but the chunk can spiral, so swivel somewhere is appropriate. Probably 6’ up is my current preference. (Rather than swivel on hook.)
    • With 100lb test I can straighten regular Mutus, so Super Mutu for 100 and up MAIN LINE. (If using heavier leader, for abrasion protection, but 80 lb mainline, the Super’s are not needed.) Therefore, no ringed Super Mutus. (Bending based on testing with my break-it machine.)
    • Yellowtail and yellowfin less hook shy than bluefin
    • I have become a true believer in circle hooks. The find the corner of the mouth with frequency I find amazing, and corner mouth hook eliminates chew offs
    • There is significant difference in size from brand to brand, so I am choosing one brand. I believe that Owner, Mustad, Gamikatsu, Eagle Claw, Eagle Claw Trokar, Frenzy, Hyabusa, Daiichi, VMC, and Quick Rig Charlie Brown all make high quality hooks. I am, for my bait hooks, choosing Owner.
    • Hooks size variety to be ready for varied bait size, also nose and butt hook need smaller hooks than shoulder hooking.
    • I prefer offset, rather than tournament legal styles.

For 100 pound test and up:
    Super Mutu. Unringed. 3/0, 4/0, 5/0, 6/0 7/0, 8/0 (Smaller sardines thru chunk)

For 80 to 40 pound test:
    Mutu, both ringed and unringed 2, 1, 1/0, 2/0, 3/0, 4/0

For 40 pound test and below:
    Hybrid Mutu 4, 2, 1, 1/0

That is 25 different hooks, even with the limitations considered.

Your thoughts, beyond: "Loc, you are over thinking this.”

Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
    Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat
    24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
    Hybrid Mutus not good too weak they will bend and loose your fish. Even at 30/40# on a good fish.

Reactions: locvetter
    locvetter
    locvetter
    But they sure are stealthy! I agree that the it is difficult to put BFT and easy dress it in the same sentence.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

DannyNoonan

Smarter than I look...
    Apr 17, 2007
    3rd dumpster on the right
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    Lund LX200 LFC
    I rhink you could cut out nearly half of your stash by dropping every other size. The difference between adjacent sizes is very small, such that for a given bait size either would work…

Upvote 0

JoeInMN

Fishing from 40 below to 120 above..
    Sep 10, 2017
    minnesota
    Name
    Joseph Koep
    Boat
    American Angler , Ice Castle Fish House
    I just use all Charlie Browns makes it simple 1/0 to 9/0, for J hooks owner offshore ringed, and VMC dynamic.

Upvote 0

TanstaaflSD

• Dec 3, 2013
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    Tanstaafl
    Boat
    n/a
    For my new seeking for simplicity, I often prefer the standard Mustad 94150 - Mustad Classic Beak in bronze or black - for yellowtail, Reds and many non-Tuna species.
    They are not subtle, but the barb keeps the live bait on the hook.
    I like circles for Tuna and when I need to use lighter line and need a jaw hook.....but, I too still have too many varieties of hooks in my gear. ..... it just took accrued complexity to make me appreciate simplicity.

Upvote 0

Cubeye

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    I had to do something, because my collection of hooks is pathologic. This is a start, not covering the assist hooks, jig hooks, treble hooks, double hooks, flyer hooks – These actually take more room to store. Gotta start somewhere.

• On 100 pound and larger mono or fluoro I use crimps, (regular length, aluminum) so no ring on the hook
    • On 80lb and less, no crimps. So rings might be an option. (I not use a uni knot that is not tightened or any loop knots. The ring-no-ring tradeoff: Ring improves bait motion, but adds additional visible element.
    • For chunking: no ring, but the chunk can spiral, so swivel somewhere is appropriate. Probably 6’ up is my current preference. (Rather than swivel on hook.)
    • With 100lb test I can straighten regular Mutus, so Super Mutu for 100 and up MAIN LINE. (If using heavier leader, for abrasion protection, but 80 lb mainline, the Super’s are not needed.) Therefore, no ringed Super Mutus. (Bending based on testing with my break-it machine.)
    • Yellowtail and yellowfin less hook shy than bluefin
    • I have become a true believer in circle hooks. The find the corner of the mouth with frequency I find amazing, and corner mouth hook eliminates chew offs
    • There is significant difference in size from brand to brand, so I am choosing one brand. I believe that Owner, Mustad, Gamikatsu, Eagle Claw, Eagle Claw Trokar, Frenzy, Hyabusa, Daiichi, VMC, and Quick Rig Charlie Brown all make high quality hooks. I am, for my bait hooks, choosing Owner.
    • Hooks size variety to be ready for varied bait size, also nose and butt hook need smaller hooks than shoulder hooking.
    • I prefer offset, rather than tournament legal styles.

For 100 pound test and up:
    Super Mutu. Unringed. 3/0, 4/0, 5/0, 6/0 7/0, 8/0 (Smaller sardines thru chunk)

For 80 to 40 pound test:
    Mutu, both ringed and unringed 2, 1, 1/0, 2/0, 3/0, 4/0

For 40 pound test and below:
    Hybrid Mutu 4, 2, 1, 1/0

That is 25 different hooks, even with the limitations considered.

Your thoughts, beyond: "Loc, you are over thinking this.”
    Good summary.

Don't really need circles for yellowtail. Owner Offshore hooks work well if you want to stay with the "designer" hooks. Otherwise, a wire hooks will work. Much easier for the deckhands to remove. When they remove circles, they tend to bend them.

I don't think Super Mutus come in 3/0 size.

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    They focus the lift in that angle bend instead of moving back and forth with round hooks where the fish can get leverage to bend the hook. Commercial bait hooks were called skippie hooks were bent the same.

Upvote 0

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
    Jan 14, 2006
    Walnut Creek CA
    longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
    Name
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat
    Long Range and Private
    Hi Loc,

Your approach makes sense to me. You will never run out and if you do, will always have the adjacent size available. I have collected thousands of hooks over the years. I am relatively confident I have 5 lifetimes of hooks. I usually bring about 10% of them on a trip depending on what I think we may encounter. I use Mustad, Charlie Brown, VMC, Owner, Gamakatsu, etc...

I have most of the sizes (#8-20/0) in circle, ringed circle, J and even a few ringed J hooks! Different types, colors and finishes. I keep an open mind, paying close attention to the available bait size and appropriate hook, see who is getting bit most (what are they using and how?) and ask the deck hands their opinions too. Sometimes I just use something different and see what happens!

Many hooks I have were gifts, giveaways and raffle winnings. Some hooks I have make more sense than others. Just like everything else related to fishing... Got to love it!

- Jeff Burroughs

• Love
    Upvote 0