PENN

azbaseball

Apr 2, 2007
la mesa ca
Name
mike de vito
Boat
20ft nitro
Saturday 24APR2021This is a Turners outdoorsman sponsored trip. As you boarded the pearl they gave you a raffle ticket for some swag, and a goodie bag with hooks, plastics Big Hammer swim baits a spool of 30lb line and some top shelf Turners beef jerky. 0500 on the button we push off the dock. A little tired as I drove over night from San Diego to fish this trip on the Pearl. Both super clean Ms. Lisa has the crew in great shape.
As you board the Pearl you are asked to stand next to your number on the rail. I head to the bow get number Lucky 13. This is your number for the trip. This is also they way the captain and crew know everyone is on board. Captain gets on the horn and says, Folks get something to eat or sleep it is going to be a 4 hour steam to the fishing spot. Well I head into the galley and Ms. Lisa has the breakfast cooking. I get a steak (tri-tip) bacon egg and cheese burrito. Now I am not a small human by any standards. I could barely finish the burrito. Time to rig up 2 poles max. So I set up the jig rod and a double dropper loop for bait. We arrive at the first drop 0915. Very slow a couple of medium size reds. we let them go. Captain moves off shore about 1/2 mile. We setup and drop. Bang double 5-7 pound reds. One on the jig one on the gulp pink slime 6" curly tail. Up and down the rail the fish fish are flying over. Cheers and high fives all around. Now remember I said Ms. Lisa has the crew in top shape. There are 3 crew members on deck. You could not get your fish over the rail before one of the crew was there to assist with landing the fish, taking it off the hook and bagging your catch. They worked their collective butts off. 3 crew 25 hard core fisherman. The crew kept count of your fish. On your bag there is a red tally square. As they place a red into your bag they mark the tag. Only 5 reds this year.
We move to another spot a little deeper 360ft and finish off the reds for the boat 1130. Now the captain says get some lunch as we have a 45 minute steam south to the next location. Well I am surprised as the deck hands asked us what we would like for lunch. Me I love the boat burgers. So that is what I ordered. i did not know what I was getting myself into. A bacon, tri-tip, cheese burger with all the toppings. it must have weighted in at 3/4 of a pound. But who am I to complain. I finish the burger by the way the best Boat burger I have ever eaten, have a cold beverage and we are at the next location. We are now fishing 180 ft. No reds are to be kept. We are looking for finish off our limits on other bottom fish, lings and whitefish. Well the Lings did not want to play but oh the Whitefish. 3,4,5 even up to 8 pound white fish were on the attack. We fish as the captain kept the boat over the rock pile. Doubles coming over the rail. Some Blue bass, Chucklehead and a couple for 24 inch ling. Oh but the whitefish. They told me that this is a rare event as the white usually are not this larger. I ended up with 5 white fish between 4 and 7 pounds. The smaller ones were released to fight another day. Really how much fish do you need to kill. 1300 we are finished and are headed to the dock. They hold the raffle, a rod, reel and some hats all from turners. The pearl gave a 12 hour trip ticket also. Thank you all. Yes as you may know I did not win anything as usual. 4 hours later we arrive docks. Fished cleaned and bagged. put in the cooler on ice for the drive back to SD. Wrap up Great trip KJ from KJ Mag 12 swimbaits was on the trip so it cost me 35 dollars on new lures and the super fishy bait rub. I totaled 5 white fish, 5 large reds, 1 salmon grouper, 3 chuckleheads and 2 jumbo Johnny bass. Below are some picture of the fish and filets. Also the picture of tonight's dinner Steamed Chucklehead and veggies. Cheers to all and many thanks to the crew of the Black pearl.

100_0150.JPG

100_0155.JPG

100_0156.JPG

100_0157.JPG

100_0158.JPG

100_0160.JPG

watersdeep

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 19, 2016
LB
Name
Jed Venture
Boat
the twisted ducker
Now that there is a report. I want a Ms. Lisa burger.

What landing is she running out of?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FishinMcNuggets

I've edited enough I should section this post.
  • Oct 25, 2010
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Avon 2.85 "C-¢"
    I've seen yellows on BD smaller than that whitefish.

Reactions: kevina
    Upvote 0

Aug 4, 2004
    California
    Name
    JB
    Boat
    Matson Inc.
    Nice report, your easy to please. Good luck with that

The Black Pearl has got to be the absolute worst sportfishing boat on the California coastline. Kicked out of San Diego, Long Beach and now is running in the Morro Bay area. Far too many factual events that occurred on that boat and operation at all the berths that boat was at.

I'd become a vegan if I had to rely on that boat catching fish for my family's food.

Upvote 0

azbaseball

Apr 2, 2007
    la mesa ca
    Name
    mike de vito
    Boat
    20ft nitro
    5150 to each their own. I do not require alot of assistance on the boat. I hook, unhook and bag my own fish. If I am in a tangle i do not sit and wait for the crew I either untangle the mess or I cut my line out of the tangle and re tie. If you have something bad to say about the boat and crew Please give details not just they were kicked out of or you would be a vegan if. Give details or do not say anything

Upvote 0

lazyfisherman

Nov 28, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Bobby
    Boat
    Cattle Boats
    Nice report, your easy to please. Good luck with that

The Black Pearl has got to be the absolute worst sportfishing boat on the California coastline. Kicked out of San Diego, Long Beach and now is running in the Morro Bay area. Far too many factual events that occurred on that boat and operation at all the berths that boat was at.

I'd become a vegan if I had to rely on that boat catching fish for my family's food.

Boat is only as good as the crew. Boat was sold around because they couldn't get a good crew or captain to run the boat. Seems like they have a decent crew now.

Upvote 0