Another Good Book

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Abaco, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Abaco

Abaco Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    The Organ
    I had mentioned here earlier that I was reading "Fish or Cut Bait". Finished it a while ago. Loved it. It ended kinda ends in a strange way. But, it's fun.

I'm currently reading a book that some of you guys might really enjoy. It's "The Log From the Sea of Cortez" - Steinbeck. It chronicles a boat trip/expedition that Steinbeck was part of (along with Doc Rickets) in 1940, from Monterey to the Sea. Pretty good read. Steinbeck really was a master writer.

2. Pangamaster

Pangamaster Cow Town Here I come!

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
    That book is awesome. Anyone who has ever been down to and played in Baja owes it themselves to read this book. Amazing.

3. Andy Smith

Andy Smith Newbie

Name:
    Andy
    Boat:
    22 Radon " Silence"
    Don't miss "Four Fish" very informative, can get it on Amazon for under ten $

4. Abaco

Abaco Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    The Organ
    Thanks Andy, I'll check it out.

Man, Steinbeck had a great sense of humor. I find myself laughing out loud when reading many parts of this book. His description of the outboard motor that refused to run is just so right on for anybody who fishes. Very funny.

5. Pangamaster

Pangamaster Cow Town Here I come!

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
    Everytime I see an Outboard motor that is not working I think of that story...Here is a quote about it.

"Our Hansen Sea-Cow was not only a living thing but a mean, irritable, contemptible, vengeful, mischievous, hateful living thing.... [it] loved to ride on the back of a boat, trailing its propeller daintily in the water while we rowed... when attacked with a screwdriver [it] fell apart in simulated death... It loved no one, trusted no one, it had no friends."

6. TShooter

TShooter Team Cheesy Poof

Name:
    Robert Peterson
    Boat:
    Yak, Cheesy Poof
    Try the book "Adrift" Not sure who wrote it but is about a guy who was making his way across the Atlantic and had to ditch his boat and float in his life raft for a looooong time. pretty cool read.

T

7. Abaco

Abaco Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    The Organ
    :rofl: Yeah, that's it. Steinbeck claimed to rename it to protect the manufacturer but it must be the Johnson Seahorse. God...his descriptions just crack me up. "Hansen Sea-Cow"...lol

There's another passage about a type of crab that can read minds in escaping the researchers...funny as hell. His description of Cabo in 1940 is also really entertaining.