Orange County, CA
Visit site
Name
Jeff
Boat
Royal Polaris - sold the boat
Hey guys,

I know this has been discussed before.

But, what are your thoughts about using a J hook vs circle hook on the assist hooks for a flat fall ?

I have several that I plan on rigging and am interested on the newest thinking on this for this upcoming season.

I did catch a 205 and a 145 on the way home from my RP 18 day trip.. using 9/0 Trokar circle hooks as the assist hooks, I was 2 for 3 bites (one hook pulled)

Thank you all for your suggestions

Tight lines,

Jeff.

mmayo

Barking Spider
  • Jul 18, 2006
    Tehachapi, CA
    www.landofmayo.com
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    Vagabond & Royal Star
    I just rigged a 120 gram Shimano flat fall. I removed the split ring and treble hook. I then used a #6 Rosco Butt ring and an 8/0 VMC 9260CB J hook. The butt ring was aligned and silver soldered in place. I washed and brushed the ring to remove excess flux. Bring on the tuna!

Reactions: IronMikeAC

afraser

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Apr 20, 2008
    sf, ca
    Name
    aaron
    Boat
    NA
    J hooks on the assist hooks, that's what I use when fishing smaller fish. But if you're fishing over 100lb tuna, a bridled circle hook has a much higher hook to land ratio than any assist hook setup. Almost 2:1. If I can get into another heavy bite, I'll give out more detailed stats. But, I see 50-60% casualty rates on bft hooked on j hooks and the limited sample I have on bridled circle hooks is about 80-90% landed. I would be at 100% but I got sawed off on one. I use 13/0 ringed circles at night, 6/0-9/0 during the day. I can recall one missed bite on a fast retrieve, that is the only downside, but usually 80% of the bites are on the sink or while jigging.

Upvote 0

jmch75

Almost A Member
    Apr 28, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Joe Curly
    Boat
    None
    @afraser I assume bridling the flatfall is what you have in your avatar photo. Could you go into a bit more detail about the connection?

Specifically, I guess you are going heavy mono/flouro directly to your circle. What do you use to connect the belly of the hook to the eye of the flat fall? And if you are putting assist hooks, are you putting them on split rings connected to the head of the lure, or in the back towards the tail?

Upvote 0

Blind Luck

• Feb 14, 2015
    Temecula
    Name
    Mike Grieco
    Boat
    MALAKAS
    Gamakatsu 720 heavy duty assist
    11/0 hook 4) 220 lb cords

Screenshot_20210430-164409_Samsung Internet.jpg

Reactions: kimbo
    Upvote 0

afraser

Apr 20, 2008
    sf, ca
    Name
    aaron
    Boat
    NA
    @afraser I assume bridling the flatfall is what you have in your avatar photo. Could you go into a bit more detail about the connection?

Specifically, I guess you are going heavy mono/flouro directly to your circle. What do you use to connect the belly of the hook to the eye of the flat fall? And if you are putting assist hooks, are you putting them on split rings connected to the head of the lure, or in the back towards the tail?tie

Specifically, I guess you are going heavy mono/flouro directly to your circle. What do you use to connect the belly of the hook to the eye of the flat fall? And if you are putting assist hooks, are you putting them on split rings connected to the head of the lure, or in the back towards the tail?
    So tie the hook directly to the end of the line. Then make a loop in Kevlar cord about 1.5-2 inch circle. A simple overhand knot will do. You loop one end on the top of the flatfall, then you loop the other end onto the bend in the hook. You can easily remove the loop from the hook should you want to change lure. Lopo g onto the hook is a little tricky at first, you simply fold the end of the loop back over the rest of the Kevlar,and thread the point of the hook thru the two holes that are created by folding the loop over the Kevlar. Lure never comes off by itself.

Upvote 0

afraser

Apr 20, 2008
    sf, ca
    Name
    aaron
    Boat
    NA

No assist hooks if you bridle. I gues you could use circle assist hooks on the bottom of the lure but it is unnecessary. To test this, rig the bridle, throw the lure in a trash can and try to pull it out quickly at a 90 degree angle. It sets on the edge of the trash can every time. The lure makes the circle hook work better.

Upvote 0

RichG

Jan 20, 2007
    California
    Name
    Richard G/
    Boat
    none
    So tie the hook directly to the end of the line. Then make a loop in Kevlar cord about 1.5-2 inch circle. A simple overhand knot will do. You loop one end on the top of the flatfall, then you loop the other end onto the bend in the hook. You can easily remove the loop from the hook should you want to change lure. Lopo g onto the hook is a little tricky at first, you simply fold the end of the loop back over the rest of the Kevlar,and thread the point of the hook thru the two holes that are created by folding the loop over the Kevlar. Lure never comes off by itself.
    How about a picture.

Reactions: DOGHOUSE26

IronMikeAC

Aug 2, 2013
    torrance, ca
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Vagabond
    I'll post a pic, but I just bend the hook prong, put a large swivel on the hook, then weld a ring thru the swivel and jig. Quick simple.

Upvote 0

mmayo

Barking Spider
  • Jul 18, 2006
    Tehachapi, CA
    www.landofmayo.com
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    Vagabond & Royal Star
    J hooks on the assist hooks, that's what I use when fishing smaller fish. But if you're fishing over 100lb tuna, a bridled circle hook has a much higher hook to land ratio than any assist hook setup. Almost 2:1. If I can get into another heavy bite, I'll give out more detailed stats. But, I see 50-60% casualty rates on bft hooked on j hooks and the limited sample I have on bridled circle hooks is about 80-90% landed. I would be at 100% but I got sawed off on one. I use 13/0 ringed circles at night, 6/0-9/0 during the day. I can recall one missed bite on a fast retrieve, that is the only downside, but usually 80% of the bites are on the sink or while jigging.
    How about a photo of one of your flat falls with the bridled circles?

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Ideally imo. I would prefer to hook a head shaking giant. On the bottom of the jig. The jig length acts as a wire leader and can't be chewed through

Reactions: Tuna Dreamer
    Upvote 0

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
    Jan 14, 2006
    Walnut Creek CA
    longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
    Name
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat
    Long Range and Private
    Ideally imo. I would prefer to hook a head shaking giant. On the bottom of the jig. The jig length acts as a wire leader and can't be chewed through
    If the fish is big enough, the jig comes across the mouth and if it is shorter than the width of the mouth, it still can get chewed through just like line to hook. On big boats, often big tuna will "rollover" during the death spirals coming up so the hooked corner of the mouth is on the opposite side - away from the fisherman. In this scenario, The line is coming across the fish mouth and giving it lots of line to chew on. Time is the critical factor in these situations. Pull on it like you are going to lose it - or you will...

We should all have such problems!

- Jeff Burroughs

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    If the fish is big enough, the jig comes across the mouth and if it is shorter than the width of the mouth, it still can get chewed through just like line to hook. On big boats, often big tuna will "rollover" during the death spirals coming up so the hooked corner of the mouth is on the opposite side - away from the fisherman. In this scenario, The line is coming across the fish mouth and giving it lots of line to chew on. Time is the critical factor in these situations. Pull on it like you are going to lose it - or you will...

We should all have such problems!

- Jeff Burroughs

Absolutely

Put a sardine 283 on the boat with a super mutu 4/0 on 130lb Seaguar. The hook pined the corner plate. When the giant would charge the boat head shaking or direction changes. The line went across the fishes teeth. I think that 283 the fluoro kept me from being bit off, as crew and captain inspected the line after the fish was landed. Then 298 next flyline bite was a easy fish, 2 runs then up and down with no radical direction changes with the line going back and forth across the teeth. Only the 283 did that

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Would prefer to hook a fish in the corner plate then in the gut

Going across the teeth with a corner plate hook set is one thing. Chewing on the line non stop and going across the teeth. Is a double whammy

Upvote 0

greatbasin

Jun 22, 2007
    Idaho
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    Knot Yet
    What are the details on the Kevlar cord? How it it rated by strength, thickness, size?
    Also what is the knot on the Kevlar tag end...just a 1 pass through overhand knot? Thx.

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
    Apr 10, 2012
    The 505
    Name
    Nick B
    Boat
    African Queen
    Here's one I did the other day, 220# flouro to an 11/0, and 100# braid to attach the jig. View attachment 1277412
    Man, that just looks sooooo simple! Rig a few leaders in advance, change lures in 30 seconds. I've read a bunch about this method from guys who do really well with it, and it's starting to sink in.
    The only two fish I've caught on flat falls were with the two J hooks on the bottom. One, I got right in the corner of the mouth, the other got hooked in the eye socket (yeah, don't ask me how!). But changing leaders each time, crimping, tying, etc, took time.
    I think I'm sold on this method and will be giving it a go this November if we target BF.

Upvote 0