The American Tackle Company

Jnicolino7

Aug 25, 2020
Livermore
Name
Joseph Nicolino
Boat
Boat
Like many others, I am venturing into rod building as a Covid induced hobby. I had my first trip last September on the Pacific Queen for a 1.5 day trip and was fortunate enough to land 4 BFT between 20 and 30lbs on some great gear I borrowed from a friend. I have been deep sea fishing out of Emeryville on the Sea Wolf for a while now, but engaging the reel on a running fish was a whole new experience I want more of. Being a self-proclaimed DIY'er, I very quickly put in an order and recently picked up the following blanks at Bob Sands:
  • 800M
  • 800H
  • 800XH
  • 800XXH (not planned)
  • 900M (not planned)
  • BTG 90J
  • Btg 6480 (backordered Father's day present)
This post is meant as an intro for me to the rod building forum so there is some context if I decide to post some pictures of my builds. It would also be great to hear where others are buying their supplies.

Bob Sands has been absolutely great to work with buying blanks. The staff is friendly and makes an effort to pass you off to another staff member that can answer your question best rather than making an uninformed sale. I purchased most components from Get Bit and really liked their online store and customer service.

Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Online I mostly use:

In person: Island Tackle in Carson, CA is tough to beat and where I buy most all my stuff. They will ship to you as well I’ve heard.

Reactions: cmepen
J
Jnicolino7
I checked out Island Tackle while I was in the area and picked up some Atwood cord. I was impressed with the amount of space in their shop and the amount of stuff they carry. I'll give them a call to see if I could have a component order shipped to me. Overall Get Bit was great but having a middle man located in Florida doesn't make a whole lot of sense logistically.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Hector Garcia

@hectorscustomrods on instagram
  • Dec 28, 2017
    Lake Los Angeles, CA
    Name
    Hector Garcia
    Boat
    I need a ride.
    Those are awesome blanks, and they will make awesome rods, but I would suggest you buy a beater blank to start and not risk messing up an expensive blank. Island Fishing Tackle has the biggest rod building supply locally, but Get Bit is awesome as well.

Another thing, are you wrapping by hand or do you have a power wrapper? Wrapping that many rods by hand is not going to be fun.

Reactions: kayakbeast33
    J
    Jnicolino7
    I hear that about the beater blank. You are right that's a safer way to start but I typically pursue my hobbies with a lot of research and dive into the deep end.

I bought the power wrapper from Alps. The startup cost is high but it looks like resell is great for all the items I purchased if I want to make an exit at any time.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

agarcia

Almost A Member
    May 19, 2006
    Nor*Cal
    Name
    Art Garcia
    Boat
    rowboat
    Right on, another Bay Area guy (love the sea wolf).

I normally pick up my blanks when I’m in So Cal, but phenix and seeker were at the sportsman’s expo in Sac last year so I picked up a few from them there. Aside from the online places already mentioned, I also buy from AcidRod. I did recently hear that Hi’s in South SF was carrying blanks also, hopefully that’s true, it’d be cool to have a semi-local place to run to.

You may want to get the alps bed extension for the 9’ers.

Upvote 0

Jnicolino7

Aug 25, 2020
    Livermore
    Name
    Joseph Nicolino
    Boat
    Boat
    @agarcia
    Cool to find another Sea Wolf customer. My dad stuck a patch on me when I was 10 and got me out deep sea fishing. Jon and Joe on the Sea Wolf taught us a lot and we are loyal because of that and they fish hard. I am looking forward to getting a lingcod with a swimbait on a custom rod. I think the 900m will be perfect for that. I have been fishing swimbaits with my m1 inshore and its pretty beat at this point.

I was wondering about buying the extension. I'll keep that in mind if it becomes an issue.

Upvote 0

IronMikeAC

Aug 2, 2013
    torrance, ca
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Vagabond
    Online I mostly use:

In person: Island Tackle in Carson, CA is tough to beat and where I buy most all my stuff. They will ship to you as well I’ve heard.
    Agreed about Sam and the guys at Island tackle. A 7 foot medium or medium heavy rod is probably the most versatile one to build. Good one to start with but I didn't see it in your list.

Reactions: Jnicolino7
    Upvote 0

cmepen

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Jun 16, 2009
    Chula Vista
    Name
    Einar Lohner
    Boat
    Cabo Marine 226
    You are poised to build an awesome arsenal with those blanks. I agree with those above that a rebuild or a build on a lesser blank is a good idea prior to starting on building on those “iconic” Blanks. Please make sure you are comfortable static testing, using the reel to be used with each blank. This will insure mechanically successful builds. The aesthetics will come with practice. Remember “it’s just a tool” (Don C. AKA ORCA) if it is usable, the build is a success.
    Good Luck!! Please do not be shy with asking for advice as there are several outstanding builders that monitor the rod building strand.

Upvote 0

Woodhunter

Jun 12, 2011
    Port Angeles, WA
    Name
    Big John
    Boat
    Classic MAKO 22
    Utmost Enterprises can get you any Batson or Alps product at decent rates.

Hey Grant you back from Mexico?

I was at Utmost Friday and dropped off the rod lathe parts and some of the large rubber bands I use between the chuck jaws and the rod butt.

John in Port Angeles

PS I found a RCJB96XH in the rod racks. New in the wrapper. Man, what a jigging stick! I will wrap it next week.

Upvote 0

Woodhunter

Jun 12, 2011
    Port Angeles, WA
    Name
    Big John
    Boat
    Classic MAKO 22
    great to see another bay are guy! I started building last year as well and it’s become an addiction!
    Just wait, it never ends

DSCN6220.JPG

DSCN6221.JPG

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Nirvana

But I don't want to edit this section
    Aug 20, 2010
    Sequim, WA USA
    Name
    Grant Darby
    Boat
    Which one?
    First day out in about 20 minutes John. A ton of folks here......with rods......looks like our year of rest is over. Thanks for the goodies.

Upvote 0