Dexter Outdoors

Squid Sammich

Aug 23, 2015
Texas
Name
Matt
Boat
To be determined
OK sorry about that, texting technical difficulties.

Just left San Diego this morning from taking my first long range trip and have to say I'm blown away on so many levels. But the one thing that made my experience so care free and amazing was meeting Mike Morris and using his concierge service "Big Fish Transport Service".

As a life long Texan and someone who has known about the extraordinary fishery out of SD I have to say I waited a long time to pull the trigger on a trip like this and a lot of that was due to planning and logistics. After reading about Mike's service on here I knew it was something that could help any out of area angler especially a noob such as myself. So I called Mike up and he walked me thru what to expect, what to do, and most importantly what to bring and how to get it there.

Two weeks before my trip I fed-exed my gear to Mike's house where he was there to personally track it and sign for it. And I had a lot of gear. A LOT of gear! Mike didn't seem to mind though and as a fisherman himself he understands how some of us are OCD/tackle whores. Also I had a problem with some screws for a reel seat and Mike called the manufacturer and even took care of that problem for me. He went thru my stuff to make sure it wasn't damaged by the shipping gremlins and made a list of what I might want to consider picking up at a tackle shop for the expected trip.

I gave Mike the info on my boat/trip, flight, hotel, and gear I expected to have available and he was at the airport waiting at baggage claim for me even though my flight was delayed for hours due to crappy weather. We loaded up and he took me by the hotel to check in and lock my gear in the room then we went shopping. First he took me by a store to pick up a few items I had forgetten or intended to pick up in SD. Then we stopped by Squidco to pick up a few jigs, reel oil, other stuff I wanted but probably wouldn't need (y'all have some awesome tackle shops in Cali btw!) etc. I even had a bunch of loose crap that I had just shipped in a box, stuff like boots, tools, a trolling lure bag and more, and Mike had all that junk packed up in a couple of his own personal bags. And lead weights? Forget about high shipping fees or buying shit you won't use, Mike had some of his own lead packed up for me and said I only have to pay for what I lose. You can't beat this kind of service.

After taking me back to the room and dropping me off with my new toys he kept in touch to see if there was anything else I forgot or needed. Even though all the above was an immense help the biggest plus was when we got back to the dock after the trip.

We got back into port early. I mean like 5:30am early, you guys know how it goes. And there was Mike waiting at the landing. And equally important there was Mike's truck parked front row where it will be for everyone who uses his service. I wouldn't have to worry about dragging gear to the end of the earth or worry about people stealing my shit while we sorted fish because there was Mike with my gear and watching it like a hawk. This level of service and security just can't be expressed in words. And to top it off Mike is storing my gear for me for my 15 day trip in a few months.

I really think if you are travelling to SD for a trip and bringing any amount of gear whatsoever Big Fish Transport can and will make your trip that much better.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Squid Sammich

Aug 23, 2015
Texas
Name
Matt
Boat
To be determined
http://bigfishtransport.com/

Here's a link to Mike's page. And just to add to this story, Mike is taking a couple of rods damaged on the boat ride over to SaltyDawg for me. This guy takes care of my gear like it's his own and keeps going out of his way to help. Thanks again Mike.

Upvote 0

NaplesJohn

Never Forget 343
Jun 9, 2010
Port Aransas, TX, USA
Name
John
Boat
Wilderness Systems T-160...and just sold the boat!!!
As another Texan, that grew up and worked in the west coast fishery, Mike is a true blessing to the out-of-state long range angler. What a great deal, absolutely eliminated 95% of the stress of the logistics puzzle!!!! Matthew captured it above perfectly! Thanks again Mike....my gear will be on the way in 9 months and 23 days!

Upvote 0

dinko

Almost A Member
Jul 13, 2009
long beach, calif
Name
danny
Boat
excel
OK sorry about that, texting technical difficulties.

Just left San Diego this morning from taking my first long range trip and have to say I'm blown away on so many levels. But the one thing that made my experience so care free and amazing was meeting Mike Morris and using his concierge service "Big Fish Transport Service".

As a life long Texan and someone who has known about the extraordinary fishery out of SD I have to say I waited a long time to pull the trigger on a trip like this and a lot of that was due to planning and logistics. After reading about Mike's service on here I knew it was something that could help any out of area angler especially a noob such as myself. So I called Mike up and he walked me thru what to expect, what to do, and most importantly what to bring and how to get it there.

Two weeks before my trip I fed-exed my gear to Mike's house where he was there to personally track it and sign for it. And I had a lot of gear. A LOT of gear! Mike didn't seem to mind though and as a fisherman himself he understands how some of us are OCD/tackle whores. Also I had a problem with some screws for a reel seat and Mike called the manufacturer and even took care of that problem for me. He went thru my stuff to make sure it wasn't damaged by the shipping gremlins and made a list of what I might want to consider picking up at a tackle shop for the expected trip.

I gave Mike the info on my boat/trip, flight, hotel, and gear I expected to have available and he was at the airport waiting at baggage claim for me even though my flight was delayed for hours due to crappy weather. We loaded up and he took me by the hotel to check in and lock my gear in the room then we went shopping. First he took me by a store to pick up a few items I had forgetten or intended to pick up in SD. Then we stopped by Squidco to pick up a few jigs, reel oil, other stuff I wanted but probably wouldn't need (y'all have some awesome tackle shops in Cali btw!) etc. I even had a bunch of loose crap that I had just shipped in a box, stuff like boots, tools, a trolling lure bag and more, and Mike had all that junk packed up in a couple of his own personal bags. And lead weights? Forget about high shipping fees or buying shit you won't use, Mike had some of his own lead packed up for me and said I only have to pay for what I lose. You can't beat this kind of service.

After taking me back to the room and dropping me off with my new toys he kept in touch to see if there was anything else I forgot or needed. Even though all the above was an immense help the biggest plus was when we got back to the dock after the trip.

We got back into port early. I mean like 5:30am early, you guys know how it goes. And there was Mike waiting at the landing. And equally important there was Mike's truck parked front row where it will be for everyone who uses his service. I wouldn't have to worry about dragging gear to the end of the earth or worry about people stealing my shit while we sorted fish because there was Mike with my gear and watching it like a hawk. This level of service and security just can't be expressed in words. And to top it off Mike is storing my gear for me for my 15 day trip in a few months.

I really think if you are travelling to SD for a trip and bringing any amount of gear whatsoever Big Fish Transport can and will make your trip that much better.
As another Texan, that grew up and worked in the west coast fishery, Mike is a true blessing to the out-of-state long range angler. What a great deal, absolutely eliminated 95% of the stress of the logistics puzzle!!!! Matthew captured it above perfectly! Thanks again Mike....my gear will be on the way in 9 months and 23 days!

Upvote 0

canyonman

Dec 2, 2005
brooklyn
Name
joe
Boat
Independence
This is a must if you are flying in. I am sitting in JFK waiting to board and the entire process took 20 min. I shipped everything with Bigfishtransport and mike took care of the rest.

Reactions: Squid Sammich
Upvote 0

Latest posts