PENN

chef gabe

Eat the collars!
Aug 23, 2014
Dana Point
Name
Gabe
Boat
Aqua Pazza (translates to Crazy Water and this is the name of an Italian Fishermans Stew)
Well I wasn't expecting much after the rain we had. I finished work a bit early and went to pick up my son Kaden from school. We rushed to get the boat out and make some macs so we could fish for an hour or so before dark. Making macs was easy so that was great. In 15 minutes we had 20 or so of the most perfect mini macs. Pinned the macs on 4/0 J hook with 10 oz weight and made one drift for nothing in about 120 feet of water. Moved north a bit above the point and dropped again at about the same depth. Within 1 minute I'm being hammered...I give it some line and then let it load!!! Hard set and hold on. The head shakes were unreal. 43" and 33 lbs. My PB and high fives to my son. Cruise back to the harbor with stellar sunset. What a life!!! When I got home I thanked my son and daughter for the xmas Hogan's Hoody gift and the good luck it must have brought me:jig:

IMG_0740.JPG IMG_0730.JPG IMG_0745.JPG IMG_0764.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RyanErb

Love to fish!
Aug 7, 2012
All over the 805
Name
Ryan
Boat
OnTheWater
I'm impressed!

Congrats!!

Glad you are enjoying life to the max!

What kind of rig were you using, dropper loop or sliding egg sinker with a leader, etc? Lengths of line on the rig?

Upvote 0

chef gabe

Eat the collars!
Aug 23, 2014
Dana Point
Name
Gabe
Boat
Aqua Pazza (translates to Crazy Water and this is the name of an Italian Fishermans Stew)
I'm impressed!

Congrats!!

Glad you are enjoying life to the max!

What kind of rig were you using, dropper loop or sliding egg sinker with a leader, etc? Lengths of line on the rig?
Reverse dropper loop with about 20" of line from weight to hook. I was on 30 lb mono.

Reactions: RyanErb
Upvote 0

cortezpirasea

Pangero
Feb 23, 2012
la mesa, ca
Name
Russell
Boat
21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
:appl:

Upvote 0

dragonballs

I'm off probation
  • Mar 28, 2008
    Arlington WA
    Name
    Vance
    Boat
    40' ocean sport fisher
    tasty... you should try a pipe jig they hate them, 8" x 3/4 cooper pipe filled with lead treble hook on a swivel mounted by drill a hole through the pipe insert with cotter pin make sure the hooks dont go past the bottom use a downrigger ball brass eye to secure to the line. (melt it in the top of the pipe when you pour)
    pipe1.JPG

Reactions: FloMar
    Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    Nice job, congratulations, don't you just love it when your plan comes together!!!

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    tasty... you should try a pipe jig they hate them, 8" x 3/4 cooper pipe filled with lead treble hook on a swivel mounted by drill a hole through the pipe insert with cotter pin make sure the hooks dont go past the bottom use a downrigger ball brass eye to secure to the line. (melt it in the top of the pipe when you pour)
    View attachment 812206

What's the biggest Pacific Halibut you've nailed with that there Copper pipe thang?

Upvote 0
    P

Paddyman1

View attachment 812206
    Ingenious!

Upvote 0
    P

Paddyman1

You
    Well I wasn't expecting much after the rain we had. I finished work a bit early and went to pick up my son Kaden from school. We rushed to get the boat out and make some macs so we could fish for an hour or so before dark. Making macs was easy so that was great. In 15 minutes we had 20 or so of the most perfect mini macs. Pinned the macs on 4/0 J hook with 10 oz weight and made one drift for nothing in about 120 feet of water. Moved north a bit above the point and dropped again at about the same depth. Within 1 minute I'm being hammered...I give it some line and then let it load!!! Hard set and hold on. The head shakes were unreal. 43" and 33 lbs. My PB and high fives to my son. Cruise back to the harbor with stellar sunset. What a life!!! When I got home I thanked my son and daughter for the xmas Hogan's Hoody gift and the good luck it must have brought me:jig:

View attachment 812198 View attachment 812199 View attachment 812200 View attachment 812201
    So how is Chef Gabe going to prepare that beautiful, white meat??? Congrats Dude!

Upvote 0

Caseydmaze

Aug 7, 2012
    Temecula
    Name
    Mackerel Marauder
    Boat
    18' Stringari Skiff
    View attachment 812206
    OK, admittedly a little dumb here, so I apologize ahead of time....are you using bait with this, or just straight jigging it or bouncing it off the bottom.

Upvote 0

chef gabe

Eat the collars!
    Aug 23, 2014
    Dana Point
    Name
    Gabe
    Boat
    You

So how is Chef Gabe going to prepare that beautiful, white meat??? Congrats Dude!
    Oh man Steve. So much fun cooking a fresh catch. I make soup with the bones. I make sushi with the belly meat (called ingawa in Japanese google it so good). Pan sear the prime fillets. Not sure if you've ever eaten halibut cheeks but they are amazing. Only 2 per fish. I love it. Thanks for asking.

Reactions: Paddyman1
    Upvote 0
    P

Paddyman1

Oh man Steve. So much fun cooking a fresh catch. I make soup with the bones. I make sushi with the belly meat (called ingawa in Japanese google it so good). Pan sear the prime fillets. Not sure if you've ever eaten halibut cheeks but they are amazing. Only 2 per fish. I love it. Thanks for asking.
    When Bristol Farms was alive and well at Kaleidoscope, they used to have butt-cheeks available quite often. Love them sauteed! Thanks for the tip on ingawa, never tried it.
    Cheers!

Upvote 0

dragonballs

I'm off probation
  • Mar 28, 2008
    Arlington WA
    Name
    Vance
    Boat
    40' ocean sport fisher
    OK, admittedly a little dumb here, so I apologize ahead of time....are you using bait with this, or just straight jigging it or bouncing it off the bottom.

the copper and lead create a type of electrical charge when introduced to salt water the ling cod and halibut just nail it. you can add some squid to the treble hook if you want or even trail a grub behind it further up the line. they work naked as well as dressed up.

For more info search the washington forum for lead melt and you will see how they are made

Reactions: Caseydmaze
    Upvote 0