Another Alternative to the Secret Tuna Society...

Trent

Almost A Member
Jul 16, 2009
Olympia WA
Name
Trent E Rickman
Boat
20' NorthWest Signature
I just read the "Tuna Fishers: Be carefull of your reports!" thread... Wow! I never thought I'd see anything like this discussion on Bloody Decks. Am I understanding this thread? Are we saying we don't want to post pictures or mention large numbers of tuna being caught because we're worried about public perception? The very name of this site suggests lots of fish dying!

I'm wondering if it may be a little too late to worry about clueing the Eco-fanatics into the fact that Washington sport fishermen have the potential of putting a lot of dead tuna on board the boat during the summer months... sometimes over 50 fish in a day. (Which I have never seen on any of the trips I've been on.) So I'm wondering if trying to pretend it isn't happening, and keeping our catch numbers a secret is really the best solution to preventing tuna limits from coming to Washington. What if the Eco-fanatics use the fact that we're no longer posting pictures and reporting big numbers of tuna being caught to claim the resource must be on the decline. After all, "...those Bloody Deckers aren't hardly catching what they used to."

Of course I'm only saying this because I live for the opportunity to brag about how I get the opportunity a few times a year to be a clueless deck maggot, and get to fish with a few knowledgable tuna fishermen on their boats. There's nothing like the feeling of taking credit for someone else's skill, equipment, and experience... but enough of the sarcasm.

A better solution may be to have a system on the forum where members can enter their catch numbers and have them appear on the site as "The BD'ers total sport catch," while displaying a running total of the current commercial catch for Washington, the US, and world wide.

Secrecy leaves room for speculation.

Upvote 0

Genie Aye

FISH BOSS
  • Sep 25, 2008
    Westport/Renton
    Name
    Cap't Paul
    Boat
    V-20 Wellcraft w/200 G2
    I just read the "Tuna Fishers: Be carefull of your reports!" thread... Wow! I never thought I'd see anything like this discussion on Bloody Decks. The very name of this site suggests lots of fish dying!

I'm wondering if it may be a little too late to worry about clueing the Eco-fanatics into the fact that Washington sport fishermen have the potential of putting a lot of dead tuna on board the boat during the summer months... sometimes over 50 fish in a day. (Which I have never seen on any of the trips I've been on.) So I'm wondering if trying to pretend it isn't happening, and keeping our catch numbers a secret is really the best solution to preventing tuna limits from coming to Washington. What if the Eco-fanatics use the fact that we're no longer posting pictures and reporting big numbers of tuna being caught to claim the resource must be on the decline. After all, "...those Bloody Deckers aren't hardly catching what they used to."

Of course I'm only saying this because I live for the opportunity to brag about how I get the opportunity a few times a year to be a clueless deck maggot, and get to fish with a few knowledgable tuna fishermen on their boats. There's nothing like the feeling of taking credit for someone else's skill, equipment, and experience... but enough of the sarcasm.

A better solution may be to have a system on the forum where members can enter their catch numbers and have them appear on the site as "The BD'ers total sport catch," while displaying a running total of the current commercial catch for Washington, the US, and world wide.

Secrecy leaves room for speculation.

I disagree on this Trent--The state is still going to have numbers from the checkers, do not need to be secretive---Terms such as--We stuffed the boat, maxed the capacity of the vessel with tuna--Almost sank the boat with all the tuna-- all work great.

There is my .02

Upvote 0

Trent

Almost A Member
    Jul 16, 2009
    Olympia WA
    Name
    Trent E Rickman
    Boat
    20' NorthWest Signature
    I disagree on this Trent--The state is still going to have numbers from the checkers, do not need to be secretive---Terms such as--We stuffed the boat, maxed the capacity of the vessel with tuna--Almost sank the boat with all the tuna-- all work great.

There is my .02

Sorry Genie Aye, but I'm not sure what you disagree with. It sounds like we both agree there's not much point in trying to keep our catch numbers secret.

Upvote 0

Ugly Bayliner

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Sep 18, 2008
    Olympia, Wa USA
    Name
    Steve Ericsson
    Boat
    20' Ugly Bayliner
    I've never had fish checkers count or even look at our tuna, nor want to. I don't think anyone has a clue to the total number but I do wonder if anyone is paying attention to our posts for the reason of ammunition to limit the fishery.

It does seem as though the tree huggers are always just itching to shut down any fishery they can to "save" fish, yet the nets just keep on killin'.

Upvote 0

Fish Slapper

I would love to be your Captain for a day!
    Jul 30, 2008
    Tacoma,Wa
    www.markyoungbloodsportfishing.com
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    30 Ft "Pacific Addiction". 26.5 ft Alumaweld Columbia "Turbos Palace"
    Well for the record, I made 16 runs for tuna this year, we never got skunked and my total fish caught was somewhere around 26 fish.

Upvote 0

lingcod todd

May 28, 2009
    sumner wa USA
    Name
    Todd Girtz
    Boat
    26' North River o/s
    Well Mark, as long as we are trying to get the records straight
    Here are my season totals I made several trips and saw thousands of jumpers on each trip but was unable to hook any.
    All the reports that I heard on the VHF and on the the docks were about the same as mine .
    Maybe the fishing will be a little better next year.

Upvote 0

Genie Aye

FISH BOSS
  • Sep 25, 2008
    Westport/Renton
    Name
    Cap't Paul
    Boat
    V-20 Wellcraft w/200 G2
    Sorry Genie Aye, but I'm not sure what you disagree with. It sounds like we both agree there's not much point in trying to keep our catch numbers secret.

I am just saying there is another way to say you did good or even great--just not posting numbers.

Upvote 0

Genie Aye

FISH BOSS
  • Sep 25, 2008
    Westport/Renton
    Name
    Cap't Paul
    Boat
    V-20 Wellcraft w/200 G2
    Well for the record, I made 16 runs for tuna this year, we never got skunked and my total fish caught was somewhere around 26 fish.

Ya---:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Well Mark, as long as we are trying to get the records straight
    Here are my season totals I made several trips and saw thousands of jumpers on each trip but was unable to hook any.
    All the reports that I heard on the VHF and on the the docks were about the same as mine .
    Maybe the fishing will be a little better next year.

Ditto-:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

This is what I am talking about----:rofl:

Upvote 0

Genie Aye

FISH BOSS
  • Sep 25, 2008
    Westport/Renton
    Name
    Cap't Paul
    Boat
    V-20 Wellcraft w/200 G2
    I've never had fish checkers count or even look at our tuna, nor want to. I don't think anyone has a clue to the total number but I do wonder if anyone is paying attention to our posts for the reason of ammunition to limit the fishery.

I was checked last time out by the checkers on catch and numbers--so apparently this is coming to the states attention.

Upvote 0

Trent

Almost A Member
    Jul 16, 2009
    Olympia WA
    Name
    Trent E Rickman
    Boat
    20' NorthWest Signature
    I am just saying there is another way to say you did good or even great--just not posting numbers.

That's true, but does it matter? Is our fear of public perception going to stop us from sharing the facts about the success of our fishing trips on Bloody Decks? I would think a forum called Bloody Decks would be the last place guys would be worried about public perception.

Kill 'em all!!! Lol! :2gunsfiring_v1::finger:

... or are we trying to become a kinder gentler group of fishermen on here?

Upvote 0

TexMojoII

Well, Shit!
    Jul 18, 2010
    Lacey, Washington
    Name
    Larry
    Boat
    Parker 2820
    I have no knowledge on this and I am only spewing what I overheard somewhere, but I heard the Mexicans got into it and that is what has affected the Cali fishery, don't remember where I heard this or whether its true. Just like I said, passing along rumor I guess. I always wondered whether its true or not, because you don't hear the Cali guys complain much. If the Indians got involved I would think they would have to abide by the commercial guys since its not on tribal land, but who the hell knows. I do know WP Seafood said something like there has been 600,000 lbs of tuna came thru there this year from the commercials. Once again, we're only a mite on a chickens ass yet we're targeted Makes no sense other than politics and money. Off my soapbox. Fuck my fingers are tired. LOL

Upvote 0

Ugly Bayliner

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Sep 18, 2008
    Olympia, Wa USA
    Name
    Steve Ericsson
    Boat
    20' Ugly Bayliner
    I was checked last time out by the checkers on catch and numbers--so apparently this is coming to the states attention.

Well that really SUCKS!! Interesting turn of events, especially since the last time I came in from salmon fishing the checker told me they are required to man the ramp at Westport until 8pm. now!

Upvote 0

TexMojoII

Well, Shit!
    Jul 18, 2010
    Lacey, Washington
    Name
    Larry
    Boat
    Parker 2820
    I have had a fish checker come up to me this whole season and asked about tuna. Something is def in the mix, one also said, they expect each boat to be in the teens, regardless of what you tell them, so what's the point, their going to tweak the numbers to justify whatever they have in mind for us anyway. Sucks.

Upvote 0

Fog Ducker!

Misanthropical member
  • May 9, 2010
    North of Kali!
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    3 and counting!
    Seems like the winners smile, and the loosers say shut up and deal!

Ducker!

Upvote 0

Trent

Almost A Member
    Jul 16, 2009
    Olympia WA
    Name
    Trent E Rickman
    Boat
    20' NorthWest Signature
    Now if the tribes got hip to Albacore fishing we would be fucked.

That is the truth! Our "Co-managers" here in Washington have a lot of influence on the fish management decisions. Now that's something to be concerned about!

Upvote 0

KC Lanier

Capt. KC Sportfishing
    Jun 11, 2009
    Mexico Beach, Florida
    www.KCsportfishing.com
    Name
    Kevin and Cyndi
    Boat
    32 Luhrs Open "Fishin'Luhrs"
    If you look at Fishnuts thread about getting involved and click on the link, you will notice that the State is proposing a limit on Pelagics such as Blue fin and Yellow fin here in Washington.

It is simple, we can't win battles when we hand the other side all the Ammo.

Upvote 0

Elkfins

Ungrateful Prick
    Aug 8, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    "Cleanup Required" '99 Grady White 232 Gulfstream
    Upvote 0

Talon5050

Almost A Member
    Jul 3, 2012
    Graham via Forks
    Name
    Dano
    Boat
    Team Mojo
    I have no knowledge on this and I am only spewing what I overheard somewhere, but I heard the Mexicans got into it and that is what has affected the Cali fishery, don't remember where I heard this or whether its true. Just like I said, passing along rumor I guess. I always wondered whether its true or not, because you don't hear the Cali guys complain much. If the Indians got involved I would think they would have to abide by the commercial guys since its not on tribal land, but who the hell knows. I do know WP Seafood said something like there has been 600,000 lbs of tuna came thru there this year from the commercials. Once again, we're only a mite on a chickens ass yet we're targeted Makes no sense other than politics and money. Off my soapbox. Fuck my fingers are tired. LOL

Actually you forgot a an extra zero there T-Mo. 6,000,000lbs is the correct number or an estimated 350,000 tuna so far this season. But that was from the commercial guys we were talking to at WP Seafood and not WP Seafood staff. What we, private and charters, catch in just miniscule compared what the Commies catch. So if the tree huggers are looking at BD and us pleasure fisherman as a scapegoat than that's just plain idiotic. I guess putting tree hugger and idiotic in the same sentence is an Oxymoron.:finger:

Upvote 0

TunaHore

World Champion Boat Ho
    Jun 5, 2012
    Island
    Name
    Tuck
    Boat
    Carolina Dory
    This topic again - couldn't we just argue
    Politics
    Religion
    glass vs tin boats

We are never going to get a consensus agreement across the board. But hopefully all of us have been given enough information to make informed decisions about what we choose to post. I am relatively new to this board, but there sure seems to be a lot of unofficial members making up unofficial rules and enforcing them in unofficial manners.

tight lines and screaming reels to everyone:finger::finger::finger:

Upvote 0