Another 100lb reel thread

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Shimano Penn, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Shimano Penn

Shimano Penn Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Fond Memory
    I've pretty much gone through all the threads I can find on this. So many opinions... I recently had two rods made "rail" style, a 76 Centaur and a 76 Viper. What I have is a couple of HXW 5/2 Raptors. They both have about 80% spool of solid spectra. I am convinced that they will be fine at 80 but it seems opinions are I'm at the cusp for 100. This is strictly for the larger grade BFT we are seeing. I am willing to buy a new reel if I have to, looking at the HXW 5/3 to keep weight down and get that low gear or maybe go to a 20 size VISX or Mak. I have some older Int'l 30 and 50 SW2's but have been convinced it's just not worth getting them hot rodded and still have a 7 pound reel to carry around. One thing to consider is that I don't see any serious long range in my near future, I do have a couple 4.5 day trips coming up. Still, there are some pretty big fish to be had locally.

I guess I'm wondering if I should just go with what I have, upgrade from the 2 speed Raptors to a 3 speed or just get the heavier 20 series reel. Thoughts?

2. mberggre

mberggre Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    N/A
    I really love the versatility of the hxw raptors. They’re great 60-100lb reels. I also love the low gear in the hxw 3 speed. They’ll easily dispatch a jumbo bluefin. You could also hot rod your raptors. This is unnecessary but some of us are always looking for an edge.

My line up is 50VSX Super Cow Special, ATD30, HXW 3 speed and HX 3 speed. I mainly fish the Avet 3 speeds locally for big fish. As a disclaimer, I tend to gravitate towards small reels.

3. swami 805

swami 805 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sunk it
    A lot of big fish have been killed with those internationals. If you don't see yourself going long range that's a big chunk of money to invest on the local tuna that could be gone anytime. Get the reels you have dialed in and use the money for more trips and try to catch one.

4. Shimano Penn

Shimano Penn Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Fond Memory
    But it's sooo much fun to buy new toys :D

5. Lake

Lake I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Blaine Lake
    Boat:
    none
    Although guys say you can fish to 100 on the HX raptors that's probably at their upper limit. If you want a 100# class reel then get one. The VISX or Mak 20's are fine. I have both but like the Mak better. Other guys will say the opposite. I did a cranking power test from my balcony, reeling up a bucket with 22# of weights in it. The Mak easily outperformed the VISX.

Fishybuzz likes this.
  6. a_p

a_p Newbie

Name:
    John Wayne
    Boat:
    Taob
    And your wife's comments were ...?

;)

7. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    If its just for kite and flatfall your internationals will be ok. For the most part the newer reels really makes a big difference when it comes to casting and fishing a bait.

8. H20buffalo112

H20buffalo112 El Bombero

Name:
    Sergio
    Boat:
    SANCHA Bonita
    Great advice, baby steps let’s hook that monster fish first. The PENNS international can handle just about anything local or international.

360DEC95-DBE5-4616-9F86-3886D857A653.jpeg

Texlee and geebee like this.
  9. Lake

Lake I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Blaine Lake
    Boat:
    none
    She was impressed by the Mak

a_p likes this.