Andros 12SNii a

clubhunter

Nov 23, 2008
Montgomery, Texas
Name
Rick Stevens
Boat
na
i have read on some posts about a problem with the high gear. Just got mine the other day and I noticed a lot of tension when reeling it in high gear. I have not taken it apart but now after reeling it while watching tv, it seems to be loosening up. The only problem is when I let it sit for a while it stiffens up again and I have to go through the process again. The feeling is that the gears are tight. Don't know if there is some excess grease that dissipates after reeling it for a couple of minutes.
My question is does this take care of itself over time or is it something worse?

londonking

Jan 4, 2006
Torrance ca,
Name
luke
Boat
Boston Whaler Montauk 170 and 15ft Gregor.
Same thing with my new reel, way to much friction in high gear. Sent a note by email to the warranty department today, will update once i have a response.

Anyone else have similar issues?

wes cerny

wes
Oct 18, 2009
fallbrook Ca USA
Name
wes cerny
Boat
none
I have 3 12SIIA reels
What I have seen is
After installing about 450 yards of spectra very tight the gears free up, probably as the grease resistance goes away.
Try it

Benjamin Lau

Aug 29, 2016
SoCal
Name
Benjamin Lau
Boat
no boat
I have a similar experience with my mail ordered 12NSiia - this is my 2nd Andros and I have 2 other Maks.

I also tried out another 12NSiia at a local tackle shop.
I ask the owner on why the crank was not smooth like other Andros.
He brushed me off with the comments that 'they' are all like that.

So glad to find out about the excessive grease issue here.
Looks like I have to send mine back to Okuma for a cleanup.

wahoodad

Yaddah X3
Apr 27, 2003
US/Mexico
Name
Choate
Boat
Highliner
It's kinda like lapping the gears. Such high speed gears have an edge on them, and like Wes said, load the line and it sort of laps the gears for you. Way back in the day, our high speed reels, we'd lap them with toothpaste or lapping compound, clean them up and apply grease.
Mine has loosened up with use.

Reactions: Benjamin Lau

Benjamin Lau

Aug 29, 2016
SoCal
Name
Benjamin Lau
Boat
no boat
It's kinda like lapping the gears. Such high speed gears have an edge on them, and like Wes said, load the line and it sort of laps the gears for you. Way back in the day, our high speed reels, we'd lap them with toothpaste or lapping compound, clean them up and apply grease.
Mine has loosened up with use.
Thanks WahooDad - I will add some toothtaste and keep cranking while watching TV - or just get out there to fish as soon as weather clearup.

Benjamin

wahoodad

Yaddah X3
Apr 27, 2003
US/Mexico
Name
Choate
Boat
Highliner
Thanks WahooDad - I will add some toothtaste and keep cranking while watching TV - or just get out there to fish as soon as weather clearup.

Benjamin
Make sure you clean the toothpaste back off, in fact I wouldn't recommend it. That was old school. I think filling it by hand with a bunch of spectra would suffice.

Reactions: Benjamin Lau

Matt Moyer

DESTROYER
Aug 7, 2004
La Mesa
www.ballastpoint.com
Name
"DESTROYER"
Boat
22' Sea Fox Viper "Even Keel"
i have read on some posts about a problem with the high gear. Just got mine the other day and I noticed a lot of tension when reeling it in high gear. I have not taken it apart but now after reeling it while watching tv, it seems to be loosening up. The only problem is when I let it sit for a while it stiffens up again and I have to go through the process again. The feeling is that the gears are tight. Don't know if there is some excess grease that dissipates after reeling it for a couple of minutes.
My question is does this take care of itself over time or is it something worse?
Most likely too much grease when the reel was put together.

ChuyG

Feb 5, 2017
Corona, Ca
Name
Jesus
Boat
Hobie Outback
I just picked one up for my slow pitch rod on Wednesday at the FHS. Today when I went to Turner's to get line, it bound up in high gear. Finished spooling it in low gear without problem, but it wouldn't budge in high gear. I finally got it to move and it loosened up but is still pretty tight. I'm using it on Friday for rockfish, so I hope it works itself out. If not, I'll be taking it to the service center after next weekend.

jowo

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 9, 2004
Woodland Hills
Name
Johnny
Boat
Sold
I just picked one up for my slow pitch rod on Wednesday at the FHS. Today when I went to Turner's to get line, it bound up in high gear. Finished spooling it in low gear without problem, but it wouldn't budge in high gear. I finally got it to move and it loosened up but is still pretty tight. I'm using it on Friday for rockfish, so I hope it works itself out. If not, I'll be taking it to the service center after next weekend.
just a question for the guys getting big reels for slow jigging- is it because you want to use the same outfit for big fish? A 300 sized babycaster is good enough for anything you'd hook on a cod trip, and a sub 10 ounce reel makes the combo a lot more fun to fish. I've also found it very uncomfortable trying to level line on a slow pitch rod, and much prefer a reel with a thumb clutch and a levelwind.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using BDOutdoors mobile app powered by Tapatalk

ChuyG

Feb 5, 2017
Corona, Ca
Name
Jesus
Boat
Hobie Outback
I'm actually new to slow pitch but plan to use it for yellowtail and local tuna as well as bottom fishing. I've been using a shimano sustain 6000 on a trevala rod and really enjoy it as opposed to yoyo. The Andros 12 NS is really narrow but has a great high gear/line retrieve and has plenty of drag in case I hook something big. It's all an experiment!

ChuyG

Feb 5, 2017
Corona, Ca
Name
Jesus
Boat
Hobie Outback
Would love to do a slow pitch charter! I've been cranking the new reel on and off all day and it's loosened up significantly. It was catching slightly in one spot, but that seems to have worked itself out. Looking forward to testing it on Friday. It does feel a little tall on the new rod but maybe I just need to get used to it.