Anderson Greenough 21

HarborSeal

Mar 24, 2015
Santa Barbara County
Name
Justin
Boat
Anderson Greenough 21’
Skiff already posted some pictures of the new project but I figured I would start a thread so I can ask questions and show everyone the goods.

1995 Greenough 21’ built by Bill Anderson.

Started off my quest to upgrade from a Hobie Pro Angler to a boat by driving to Mex for one of the Ensenada Del Mar 13s, brought that back and did some work myself and then Jeff Hull’s guys did the rest. They did excellent work as all of you know. Before I bought a motor and console for that boat I found a Hawkins 10.5 at the ranch and bought that. Sold the Del Mar to a BD member from down south and then started on the Hawkins. Just got into the Hawkins when my parents neighbor contacted me after he heard I was looking for a boat. I went over to his property and to my surprise this was in the barn.

Overall it was in great shape(Covered inside a barn for 6 plus years) but the trailer needed work, electronics were a bit dated, and the motor/shaft had been pulled to replace shaft seals and motor mounts. So the motor was on a pallet but clean and covered. Motor is a 4cyl Yanmar diesel 4LH-DTE with a little over 1k hours. Fuel tanks looked good, 2 55 gal saddle tanks.

After checking it out I called Skiff to get his opinion and next was Ed Anderson. Big thank you to both of these guys for taking the time to hear me out and give their opinions. Now off to the bank I went and the next day she was is in my front yard with my 5 year old pretending she was driving it on the high seas.

So far she has had a good cleaning/waxing and now the trailer is getting rebuilt and the motor goes back in next month. Fingers crossed there are no major surprises. This already feels painfully slow, can’t imagine how you guys feel getting something built or rebuilt that takes years.

Pics don’t quite do it justice but here are a few. Drivers side of the cab is a little shorter than the left. I assume this was a convenience for commercial work. I actually don’t mind it.

Any recommendations for a custom boat cover? Only marine canvas guy up here wants 2k, not sure if that is the norm but it seemed like a lot.

Cheers 🍻

6DB6B3D3-AB17-4683-8374-CAA010E13B6A.jpeg

5BED9DB1-AE51-4062-9682-B5555F29AF79.jpeg

00EB8AA0-8A3C-46DB-A72C-5F3DC69608A5.jpeg

D3E24176-0EBF-47C5-B4EB-E0DD8A238E55.jpeg

8F1B7C14-5D18-4CC3-A01C-B322D7722686.jpeg

E5D2DD20-3598-4860-B72D-389F3166F7FE.jpeg

972886BC-B208-4E16-AFEE-EAD9C078F1CD.jpeg

9D774C99-E0F6-43D6-9CB1-63942F7B10D9.jpeg

005425E5-0834-4D94-8E4E-7A3401497FFC.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Canyon

Mover
Sep 22, 2013
Santa Barbara
Name
Colin
Boat
Less
2k for a custom cover is a steal. Please send me the contact info.

killer boat! If you want a swim platform/ladder/mounting brackets, hit me up.

Reactions: marlyn
Upvote 0

Dippin-tip

Aug 25, 2015
Santa Maria
Name
Mark
Boat
Dippin-Tip
Was this in Buellton? I saw a g21 parked at that trailer lot just north of there a month or two ago, almost pulled off the freeway to inquire about it.

Upvote 0

sbsurfer

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 19, 2010
Name
Mark
Boat
29ft Radon - 15ft Hobie Power Skiff
What a score! Nice G21, with an awesome drivetrain. You're right about Jeff Hull and Ed Anderson, both good friends of mine and both willing to give advice any time...great guys. I have had Vanessa Manten at Manten Marine Canvas in Ventura do all the canvas work on every boat I've owned, give her a ring...but as Canyon said $2k is actually a good deal.

Upvote 0

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    You should go buy a lotto ticket right now!

Reactions: HarborSeal
    Upvote 0

HarborSeal

Mar 24, 2015
    Santa Barbara County
    Name
    Justin
    Boat
    Anderson Greenough 21’
    Ok so it looks like both of my seat bases were screwed into the deck and coming loose. This was done by the original owner not Bill Anderson. I think he did it because it was easy and there was no access from the underside of the deck. Thankfully when I opened them up there wasn’t any rot in the deck or water in the compartments below the seats. I think my best option is a couple 6” access hatches in the deck by each base and then through bolt them? What do you think? I hate to cut holes in the deck but it seems like the right way to do it
    Also I have finally been using it enough to get some fuel burn numbers. A little over 6mpg with the little Yanmar. Bueno?

B97357D7-21A3-4564-8EB2-7BBDFD327817.jpeg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

yakdout

Professional
  • Jun 26, 2014
    San Diego
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    s and hoes
    I like the hatch idea. As long as you properly waterproof with gaskets or silicone, it’s not a bad idea to add access to the hull. Especially being in the cab water intrusion should be minimal if any

Upvote 0

mike mitchell

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jul 25, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Michael Mitchell
    Boat
    20 Bertram
    After re-reading your post I think that cutting more holes in your deck is a bad idea. If you enlarge the holes you have to just big enough to fit your hand/fingers you can flip the bolt and use it as a stud. Use trimable butyl tape around the studs under the base and around the edges of base.

Upvote 0

acefuture

@acecraftco
    Apr 3, 2019
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Name
    Ace
    Boat
    Always changing
    You could glass over that section with ~1” of marine ply and use that as the base for the seats. Run 1” or longer lag bolts in it and it’ll be water tight and no worry of the seat going anywhere

Upvote 0

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
    May 11, 2007
    You're mined!
    www.csicop.org
    Name
    Alan
    Boat
    1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
    Great looking vessel.

6 mpg is great!!!

Have you had it out in any significant weather yet?

I prefer a flush deck, to reduce tripping hazards, but that hatch isn't very tall.

The former owner of my Cobia Sea Queen cuddy cabin used 5" Lag bolts to secure home bar stools to the sole.

Southern Fibergalss Products laid up the hull and they glassed the top of the deck, but not the bottom!

Eventually, the entire bottom side of the sole became watelogged. Soft spots everywhere necessitate complete sole R&R. I am sure that a window leak also contributed to the delaminating. I cannot understand why they would not seal that below deck space because it is the only thing that creates bouyancy to keep the darned thing afloat in the event of swamping.

Upvote 0

Latest posts