And... yet another skipjack rebuild. Help needed

Basscatjosh

Jun 14, 2018
Nor cal
Name
Josh
Boat
Basscat Pantera classic, trophy cc, Cajun, jonboat, trident 13 ocean kayak
I'm rebuilding an old skipjack 24 open and I have some questions. I'll be redoing the transom for outboard bracket and the stretch of the stringers between the transom and gas tank. I've never done any extensive fiberglassing but i am mechanically capable. So far I've ripped out all interior, most of the wiring and cables, motor and outdrive. Oh yeah, and gas tank...what a nightmare that foam can be! I've read every post in every forum I can find about transoms and fiberglassing boats, every video on YouTube, etc. My plan is as follows. Cut out transom and stringers and rebuild transom with either coosa or marine ply and stringers with marine ply. The transom will be 3 layers of 3/4 coosa or wood. I intend to run epoxy resin and 7 layers of 1708 on the inside transom skin and 3 layers of 1708 on stringers. The stringers I'll be replacing are only about 6-7 feet long. They seem pretty solid everywhere except where the motor mounts we're bolted through. So my thought is to just chase them all the way up to the next bulkhead to connect and reinforce that as well. I figure on laying 3 layers of 1708 on the floor as well to help tie in the new transom and stringers as structural support for the outboard bracket setup. I guess the question is this, what am I missing in my order list?

Order as follows:
40 yards of 50" 1708
15 gallons of slow cure epoxy resin
10 pounds 1/4 chop strand
4 gallons cabosil
50 quart cups
50 tongue depressors for templates
50 mixing sticks

All the other consumables I can get at the big box stores in town.

Am I missing anything that I need from a specialty shop? I don't want to pay shipping twice.

By the way my name is Josh and this is my first skipjack so I'm stoked. Currently fish a center console and I'm looking forward to a seated driving position. Already have the suspension seats sitting in the garage!

Upvote 0

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
Shop around for epoxy, prices vary considerably...

Upvote 0

Fishbones

Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
Any recommendation o
Any recommendation on sizes or diameters?

3/8-1/2” are good all around sizes for flat surfaces and inside radius’s

Reactions: SkipJack Boats
Upvote 0

Basscatjosh

Jun 14, 2018
Nor cal
Name
Josh
Boat
Shop around for epoxy, prices vary considerably...
I was going to order all glass and epoxy from uscomposites. Prices seem decent, seems to be a reputable company. Anyone have any experience with their products? The opinions on different brands of epoxies seem to vary as much as price.

Upvote 0

Basscatjosh

Jun 14, 2018
Nor cal
Name
Josh
Boat
I added squeegees, various size rib rollers and various size nap rollers to the list. Am I ordering enough epoxy? It's 10 gallons of part a and 5 gallons of part b. Slow cure 2:1. Bonding the cores and fillets will probably take more than I am considering. Should I pick up another 5 gallons? 10?

Upvote 0

Basscatjosh

Jun 14, 2018
Nor cal
Name
Josh
Boat
Couple pics. Buffed a little on one side and she seems to want to shine.

IMG_20200628_113024921_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200628_113115720_HDR.jpg

Upvote 0

Basscatjosh

Jun 14, 2018
Nor cal
Name
Josh
Boat
She looks rough but I think she will be better than new somesay. Some back story on the boat. She was in a field in the middle of nowhere and the farmer that sold it to me had to drag it out with a tractor. All 4 tires and rims were shot, I had to bring wheels when I went to pick her up and we swapped them out in the dirt. The farmer had a air compressor and impact, thank God. Lugs were all Rusty and would have been an nightmare by hand. Him changing the wheels out and dragging it out of the field was worth the $100 I paid him for the boat. Bearing buddies accepted grease and she towed just fine over 2 hours back home. Going to repower with an Armstrong bracket and 300 Suzuki. Hope it's enough power to push her sufficiently.

Upvote 0

Fishbones

Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
15 gallons should be plenty

Reactions: Basscatjosh
Upvote 0

Fishbones

Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
Great candidate for a pilothouse build later

Upvote 0

fishgrappler

Jul 4, 2015
Name
Bru
Boat
Skipjack 24 Open
You might need a fairing compound as well.

I like to use milled fiber, either with, or instead of chop strand. I find it easier to work with, especially if i'm trying to pack resin into holes or other tight spaces.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

Basscatjosh

Jun 14, 2018
Nor cal
Name
Josh
Boat
Finished initial cleanup and didn't intend to do any cutting today but I got curious. Center stringers where the motor mounts located is a mushy mess. After cutting out the stringer glass I could pull the wood out by hand. Wish I could post pictures but it says all the files are too large. I don't own a computer, only the phone. Any advice for getting pictures posted? A couple pics will post but most say too large for server.

IMG_20200630_113541649_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200630_113631647_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200630_113631647_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200630_113606905_HDR.jpg

Reactions: marlyn
Upvote 0

Basscatjosh

Jun 14, 2018
Nor cal
Name
Josh
Boat
Forgot to add that i got the quote from uscomposites for all materials for glass work. Just shy of $1400. I'm just waiting on a call back from a tech to verify the hardener I am going with is correct for the application and high temps I will be working in. 90°+ during the days and 65°+ at night. Anyone know of any distributors of coosa in northern cali? Someone in the bay area must carry it?

Upvote 0

Mike Rudovsky

Jun 23, 2017
Half Moon Bay
Name
Mike Rudovsky
Boat
27' Farallon
She looks rough but I think she will be better than new somesay. Some back story on the boat. She was in a field in the middle of nowhere and the farmer that sold it to me had to drag it out with a tractor. All 4 tires and rims were shot, I had to bring wheels when I went to pick her up and we swapped them out in the dirt. The farmer had a air compressor and impact, thank God. Lugs were all Rusty and would have been an nightmare by hand. Him changing the wheels out and dragging it out of the field was worth the $100 I paid him for the boat. Bearing buddies accepted grease and she towed just fine over 2 hours back home. Going to repower with an Armstrong bracket and 300 Suzuki. Hope it's enough power to push her sufficiently.
Just wondering if you have a price on the Armstrong bracket?
Looking forward to seeing your progress.
Good luck with the rebuild.

Upvote 0

Basscatjosh

Jun 14, 2018
Nor cal
Name
Josh
Boat
Talked to uscomposites and I'm glad I did. They recommended 3:1 for anything structural. The 2:1 is not recommended for structural use do to the flex after curing. Picked up a couple extra gallons of epoxy and another 4 gallons of cabosil for unknown fiberglassing I'm sure I will have to do. I will submit quotes to stainless marine and Armstrong for brackets this week. I'm confident in either one of those manufacturers so basically going with low bid. Atleast that's what I'm thinking for now. Floatation bracket with 72" swim platform is what I'm spec'ing. Hoping to get a lot of demo cutting done this week. Talked to berry sheet metal for a replacement tank and decided to go with a belly tank for added fuel. I might even consider opening up the gas tank area to get a bigger tank in. I'd love to get closer to 150 gallons.

Upvote 0

Basscatjosh

Jun 14, 2018
Nor cal
Name
Josh
Boat
Just wondering if you have a price on the Armstrong bracket?
Looking forward to seeing your progress.
Good luck with the rebuild.
Quoting it out this week to Armstrong and stainless marine. I will get back to you on it.

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
My opinion,you're missing Vinylester resin.Why epoxy ? That boat is made using typical polyesters.Vinylester would be absolutely fine for this job.Probably cheaper too.

Reactions: 40Grit and tuner
Upvote 0

nu2reels

edited so you don't read the defaulted stuff, lol
  • Nov 26, 2008
    Los Angeles- South Central
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    None
    iPhones allow you to adjust the picture size when u upload, from actual size to Large or medium or small

When u select a pic look at the bottom of the screen before you upload to choose size

Good luck on the build

Upvote 0

Basscatjosh

Jun 14, 2018
    Nor cal
    Name
    Josh
    Boat
    My opinion,you're missing Vinylester resin.Why epoxy ? That boat is made using typical polyesters.Vinylester would be absolutely fine for this job.Probably cheaper too.

I've heard this same thing several times doing research for this project and I believe you are correct. Being someone with very little experience with fiberglass I just decided to go overkill on all aspects of it. I figure if I give myself the least amount of opportunity for failure I should be successful. From what I can find epoxy has a better bonding strength and no matter the temperature always mixes the same ratio. Im really just trying to give myself as little to think about and more importantly mess up as possible. I'm going to have atleast $30k into this boat with this build so I don't mind spending the extra money on epoxy and coosa. If for nothing else, a little piece of mind. The real question is, what the hell am I doing putting $30k into a boat I picked up for $100? Oh well, down the rabbit hole we go. Thanks for the input, I appreciate all opinions on fiberglassing. I will be picking everyone's brains for the next couple months on this build.

Upvote 0

Basscatjosh

Jun 14, 2018
    Nor cal
    Name
    Josh
    Boat
    iPhones allow you to adjust the picture size when u upload, from actual size to Large or medium or small

When u select a pic look at the bottom of the screen before you upload to choose size

Good luck on the build
    Unfortunately I have a Droid. I'll try to figure it out though. Thank you

Upvote 0

Fishbones

Nov 7, 2005
    Chula Vista
    Name
    Rich
    Boat
    A&J Marine welding built my current bracket and was $1000 less than Armstrong. I’ve had two Armstrong’s in the past and the A&J is right there in quality.

6C290167-B4F3-44F2-9A28-D2692A0BE721.jpeg

2F8BC3C7-A8D5-4F78-BD0F-5398E73944DF.jpeg

59F7B2C7-A0F8-4954-B43C-3031356CDC7B.jpeg

4802185F-2018-4668-8E8B-756F38A5013F.jpeg

Upvote 0