I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 20, 2010
San Diego
Name
Andre
Boat
Any Boat that I can go on
Dreams are pretty funny.

Like many of you probably , I often dream about fishing and especially LR fishing while alseep. For me sometimes 50% of my dreams involve LR fishing or some aspect of it . sometimes the dreams are all I have, LOL

so last night..
I find myself in Tonight's Dream and I am going on the Excel on a 16 day trip(why the Excel , I don't know as I have nothing scheduled) . I have gotten on this trip on very short notice so It was a super surprise type of thing. We are on the boat at the dock getting ready to leave and I am talking with some of the passengers I know. One jokes about the food potential for the trip(yes even the BD LR board content infiltrates my dreams). I laugh. The boat then leaves the dock and I am stoked.. so stoked..
It is a couple miles out and we cleared the point- when I then realize that I have forgotten half my rods and all my tackle boxes at home.
Stoked turns into Panic...
My popping rods, My Stellas, My Hooks , My jigs and Poppers...
I then wake up . Wide eyed and in a sweat, I can't fall back asleep. It's after 5 Am anyway so I just get up and start my day.
and here I am now.

This got me thinking about a couple things..
1-I really need to go fishing
2-I wonder what are the real life stories of people who have forgotten stuff on a LR trip?

Let's hear the stories of the forgotten stuff...

Last edited:

nu2reels

edited so you don't read the defaulted stuff, lol
Nov 26, 2008
Los Angeles- South Central
Name
Dan
Boat
None
I baby sat a nice full tackle bag for an hour while I was waiting for a charter at H&M last year. Guy was hanging out with his buds and forgot it while they were loading their stuff for a different boat.

He came running up the ramp, looked around and was surprised he left it there. I started laughing :rofl:

Home is not the only place where you might leave your gear.

Reactions: vegasandre

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
I have missed the boat from sleeping in. Arrived a day late and missed the boat. Forgot all my gear and clothes and got on the boat with only what I was wearing for 14 days...…...

Luckily this was all in my dreams. so far I have only forgot to pack my sun screen and I left some nice shirts in the hotel once.

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
Jun 11, 2015
Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat
arima - the SLIDER
I just realized this; by you bringing up fishing dreams. I have never had this realization when awake, till now.

In my dreams I always forget my gear, everything! The rest of the dream is scrounging for all kinds of other peoples F,up gear that doesn't work for some reason or another. No line, reel doesn't turn, half a pole. pole that doesn't bend, you name it. A real nightmare!

If that isn't bizarre enough, The Sporty just drives down city streets (no water) and I look for manhole covers to sink my fishing line into. If I ever catch anything, it ends up being some scary ass creature with only a slight resemblance of a fish.

All true.

I know . . . drug test.

Last edited:

Russ Scholl

Apr 1, 2018
Tuscaloosa
Name
Russ Scholl
Boat
Kayaks
Dreams are pretty funny.

Like many of you probably , I often dream about fishing and especially LR fishing while alseep. For me sometimes 50% of my dreams involve LR fishing or some aspect of it . sometimes the dreams are all I have, LOL

so last night..
I find myself in Tonight's Dream and I am going on the Excel on a 16 day trip(why the Excel , I don't know as I have nothing scheduled) . I have gotten on this trip on very short notice so It was a super surprise type of thing. We are on the boat at the dock getting ready to leave and I am talking with some of the passengers I know. One jokes about the food potential for the trip(yes even the BD LR board content infiltrates my dreams). I laugh. The boat then leaves the dock and I am stoked.. so stoked..
It is a couple miles out and we cleared the point- when I then realize that I have forgotten half my rods and all my tackle boxes at home.
Stoked turns into Panic...
My popping rods, My Stellas, My Hooks , My jigs and Poppers...
I then wake up . Wide eyed and in a sweat, I can't fall back asleep. It's after 5 Am anyway so I just get up and start my day.
and here I am now.

This got me thinking about a couple things..
1-I really need to go fishing
2-I wonder what are the real life stories of people who have forgotten stuff on a LR trip?

Let's hear the stories of the forgotten stuff...
Andre-you really do need to go fishing! I didn’t forget much of anything on my recent EXCEL 16 DAY but it wouldn’t have mattered as I was offered everything from hooks to sinkers to the use of both conventional and spinning outfits. Even lures cocktails and great advice. Wonderful group of fisher folks!

Yellowtail Dan

Apr 10, 2006
Roseville Ca
Name
Dan
Boat
Excel, American Angler
I got on the AA for my 10 day in December and left one of my reel bags in my truck. Didn’t notice till it was to late. Didn’t have any of my 50lb reels or lower line class reels and we were heading to the Lupe. Lucky for me Ray and the crew hooked me up and A friend lent me his brand new Penn Torque 15xnld2. They bailed me out and helped save my trip and I deserved all the shit I got on the trip down and then at Ken’s the day after we got back

woodfish330

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
Brother in the day....did many trips on all the boats. After one trip....I went with a crew member to the boats storage unit. Inside.....could not believe all the items and tackle people "forgot" while loading out. Maybe 25 tackle boxes....25 rod bundles.... suitcases....shaving kits.... clothes... everything....you name it. Literally 10's of thousands of dollars in tackle alone. This wasn't crap....Some of it was better than my stuff... lol. It was just overwhelming. Needless to say, I never forgot that...and actually contacted a few people I knew personally who's rods or boxes were in there.

Forgetfulness happens to all of us...but when the maddening rush and realities return consume our "been on vacation" brains.... sh*t happens. Double check, triple check. ...always!

Workplacesafety

Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses
Feb 20, 2010
Long Beach Ca.
Name
Jeff Bruner
Boat
14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
This wasn't a dream, I actually did this.

I've talked about this before around here. I left my entire reel case on my front porch, and took off for an 8-day trip. Didn't figure it out until I was loading up my cart.... Didn't have time to go back and get it. Called my Brother and he went up and got it off the porch, off we went.

Luckily, this was a Willy (Billy Casper) and Wahoodad (David Choate) trip. On board were Louis Tilley, BillW, Sonny Jones, Titan05, Themacs, Fishybuzz, Ray Jarvis, Silent Jim, Rick Xavier, Pappy (Bob Michner), Boltar ,Hermosa Joe, Just Jan, so many others I can't remember.

Looking back on it I did alright, with a little help from my friends And I think that was the best group I ever fished with, and that's saying something.

Last edited:

yakmandan

Well-Known "Member"
May 30, 2007
AZ.
Name
DAN
Boat
19ft Bayrunner Baja
I thought I left a 10ft Ulua on a boat once and then found it in my garage weeks later Usually
in my fishing dreams my reels don't work or the boat is on land but I've had those dreams of forgetting my gear and or clothes and not just about fishing trips
I think it's comes from when I was 10-11 I went on a camping trip with the Boyscouts up in the mountains. The day we left to go up there I was running around barefoot. I forgot to pack my shoes. We were up there for a week. And we all know what the Boyscouts motto is don't we.

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
If you ever roomed with me on a trip BEWARE... I yell and talk in my sleep... Last month on the Excel 16 day trip I was on I caught a 305LB Swordfish on the way down to the bank... I never remember my dreams... my roommate thought it was funny and I told him to put a gaff in it... yelling the entire dream...

egarratt

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 11, 2005
San Diego
Name
Eddie G
Boat
None
Mine usually resolves around forgetting my gear, running home to get my gear, and trying to get a ride to meet the boat at the bait dock.

woodfish330

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
If you ever roomed with me on a trip BEWARE... I yell and talk in my sleep... Last month on the Excel 16 day trip I was on I caught a 305LB Swordfish on the way down to the bank... I never remember my dreams... my roommate thought it was funny and I told him to put a gaff in it... yelling the entire dream...
Practice...practice...practice....lol! :git:

afraser

Apr 20, 2008
sf, ca
Name
aaron
Boat
NA
My wife makes fun of me as I have these nightmares all the time about forgetting to bring gear on a trip. Or not being able to find the hook or lure I need. I forgot a bundle of rods upon leaving the boat once. Fortunately they called me before I got far. I think I’ve mentioned forgetting my car one time after leaving it in line while I loaded the boat. I now take a picture of all of my gear and make a list. And just to be sure I use a unique color of tape on all my bags and rods, and pliers, those things sure get passed around.

AKSalmon

Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
Last year on the Rooster, one of the passengers freaked out when he realized he forgot his fleshlight. Fortunately, several other guys offered to lend them theirs.

Reactions: Yellowtail Dan

reellady

I'd rather be catching TUNA
Aug 26, 2011
fresno, ca usa
Name
donna
Boat
reel lady
Soda Pop is not kidding. One time he scared his roommate so bad by yelling he was going to kill him, he moved out and never talked to Soda again.

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Kind of funny that everyone seems worried about forgetting their gear when all you really need is your passport and everything else is optional.

I constantly see anglers pull out the goofiest shit to add to the challenge of angling. Trolling with a corn cob, casting fake rats to wahoo. Fishing with a bamboo rod...…. What is goofier than scrounging up an entire arsenal after you get on the boat, making wahoo bombs out of sinkers and potato chip bags.

woodfish330

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
Forgot my ear plugs.....

Poor SODA.....don't worry brother... I've seen and heard worse. Once a guy and gal angler on one of our long ones, met... dated... then married.... just before going a year later as "newlyweds". Still being "frisky".... In their state room numerous times daily. She was a "screamer" and he loved the "dirty talk". I remember one night while traveling.....The "hanky panky" was so loud.... it drowned out the engines and I was next door. Tried to ignore it..... but finally it was way to much. Like someone slamming the drawer over and over....While screaming and swearing. I'd had enough... opened my stateroom door, somewhat pissed, only to find I wasn't the only one. 4 - 5 other anglers were in the hallway as well trying to figure out if they were just perverts or sleep deprived souls. I wasn't expecting this.... and we all started breaking out, laughing our asses off!! Jealous or sleepy.... I'll never know for sure. But the next day....During a "raffle" I gave them the prize for "noisiest anglers without a fish on".... :confused: :hali_parkutuli:LOL:shake:

marlyn

Dec 18, 2005
oak hills
Name
mark
Boat
21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
In my dream all the other passengers are strippers and we all forgot our tackle but remembered the bourbon,In the end i bring home lots of tuna and pay 5star nothing!

Reactions: woodfish330

HoxFish

Family Crest - My Lure is True
Jan 17, 2007
A daydream about fish
Name
Aaron
Boat
Moo
Thankfully, I have yet to forget anything of importance. It's probably because I bring too much stuff. :D

For me, I have fishing dreams ALL the time. Sometimes they're flat out nightmares (getting skunked or losing the big one), while others are the exact opposite. When I was 15, went to hang put with a cousin and crashed on the floor. He said I woke him up when I yelled. Apparently, I sat straight up in my sleep and yelled out, "GOT HIM!" while swinging and reeling in whatever it was. He said, I caught it, and laid back down. To this day, neither us knows what it was.