Fishingguy

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 15, 2007
Orange County
Name
Billy
Boat
Parker
To no surprise, the bluefin bite has been going off at Tanner bank. I finally decided to give it one more hoorah (*i think). Called up Vu (Svue) and made a last minute decision. Locating
IMG_2570.JPG
IMG_2613.JPG
IMG_2626.JPG
IMG_2649.JPG
IMG_2576.JPG
IMG_2593.JPG
IMG_2588.JPG
IMG_2563.JPG
IMG_2640.JPG
IMG_2653.JPG
IMG_2570.JPG
IMG_2613.JPG
IMG_2626.JPG
IMG_2649.JPG
IMG_2576.JPG
IMG_2593.JPG
IMG_2588.JPG
IMG_2563.JPG
IMG_2640.JPG
IMG_2653.JPG
IMG_2598.JPG
IMG_2673.JPG
squid was really tough as we just got voicemails from bait barges. Nacho wanted no part in helping us at the barge at 9pm. Guess it was past his bed time. He was super pissed we even asked if he had squid. Luckily we got some from the Ultra over at Catalina.

Smooth seas all the way to tanner. I got my first hook up at 7 am. 1 ounce glowing slider on 60lb line. And from there we just kept on picking a way. We were just a few shy for limits for the 5 of us. We had plenty by noon and decided to head in early. Took a quick look at cortez for no tuna but some nice goats and whitefish. What an amazing year for me. Bluefin fishing from end of March till now.

Some interesting things I observed….

1.we were chunking and chumming squid, not sure if that would work or not since fish were breezing, but after cleaning the fish, most all had our chum.

2. Drag. Ive never scaled my drags before because i felt that i didnt need to for most fish. With fishing 60, i set drag to 20lbs on a scale. By hand, i would have never set my drag that tight. With that set, i was able to land the fish in only about 20-25 minutes compared to the long 40 plus minute battles. I even pushed past the "strike" and was surprised how the gear would hold up. Needless to say, I'm not so shy about fishing heavy drag now.

3. go with the flow. All hook ups were on the drift. Saw lots of boats just zig zagging around out there. just shut down and drift…

Well….i think thats the last tuna trip for me..but who knows with the year we've had. IMG_2677.JPG IMG_2672.JPG IMG_2681.JPG IMG_2688.JPG IMG_2689.JPG

Upvote 0

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
HB
Name
Jeff
Boat
Line up
Great report as always!! It has been so sick on these fish. We have been by you a few times in past!! I own the boat "Line Up" We fished Friday. We had Dan with us who had no fish in freezer. We let him keep two. Then we all split a 95# that was plenty for the three of us others to eat fresh a few days. Even give a little away. We released 4 "ON PURPOSE!!!" Several not!! Lol. I want to echo this from your report!!! Us a scale to set the right drag you can rarely guess correct. And with sharks you need to get at these fish. And must on a sport boat get in before crossing. One wierd note: are biggest fish a 118# had a circle hook in other jaw and fight lines down that side!! Additionally had a treble hook in back???? Trip!!

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Excellent! I can't help but suggest that you invest in a vacuum sealer. Seeing all of those great fillets in zip-lock bags made me a little sad. But maybe you give it all away? I cooked up the last of my yellowfin tuna from October of 2014 last weekend, it had been misplaced in the chest freezer and overlooked in the rotation, but it was absolutely perfect and delicious. Vacuum sealing is the way to go!

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
    Feb 19, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    25ft Skipjack fly
    After pulling on the big ones you do have a tendency to say that's it for the year. That's what I say every time!

Side note I'm going Sunday. haha (Weather permitting)

Upvote 0

Azarkon

Aug 28, 2015
    California
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    N/A
    Careful taking sheepshead on the banks, no matter what it says on your depthfinder, if you're outside of the NOAA 60 fathom waypoints you're "deeper" than 360'

Not an issue here, since you can only fish 20 at the banks, and I don't think they've ever published their 20 way marks for the banks. I had the same issue a while ago but found out that the laws were written such that as long as you're off shore, you can basically just use the depth limit rule.

Upvote 0

captainsdc

Apr 19, 2011
    San Jose del Cabo
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    Shopping for something else
    Excellent! I can't help but suggest that you invest in a vacuum sealer. Seeing all of those great fillets in zip-lock bags made me a little sad. But maybe you give it all away? I cooked up the last of my yellowfin tuna from October of 2014 last weekend, it had been misplaced in the chest freezer and overlooked in the rotation, but it was absolutely perfect and delicious. Vacuum sealing is the way to go!
    Yep, I too just ate a bag of yft that said 2014 from way down in the bottom of my chest. My vacuum sealer is a lifesaver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: surfgoose
    Upvote 0

fish impaler

Almost A Member
    Mar 5, 2008
    Santa Barbara /LA
    Name
    SM
    Boat
    Bayrunner baja 19
    Not an issue here, since you can only fish 20 at the banks, and I don't think they've ever published their 20 way marks for the banks. I had the same issue a while ago but found out that the laws were written such that as long as you're off shore, you can basically just use the depth limit rule.
    My bad. Yeah there are no depth pts for 20 and shallower.

Upvote 0

toadstoadsonly

Just your average Jon chasing a fish of a lifetime
    Jun 16, 2008
    Newport Beach
    Name
    JONATHAN @grindmentality1
    Boat
    Trophy
    Great job out there It was a hell of a run you had this year. But I have a spidy feeling there will be more reports before the season ends. Or.... Maybe just maybe the season will not end and roll into 2017.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

jim isbell

Jun 25, 2015
    Anaheim, CA
    Name
    Jim Isbell
    Boat
    19' Campion/115 4 stroke Yamaha
    To no surprise, the bluefin bite has been going off at Tanner bank. I finally decided to give it one more hoorah (*i think). Called up Vu (Svue) and made a last minute decision. Locating View attachment 803129 View attachment 803130 View attachment 803131 View attachment 803132 View attachment 803133 View attachment 803134 View attachment 803135 View attachment 803136 View attachment 803137 View attachment 803138 View attachment 803129 View attachment 803130 View attachment 803131 View attachment 803132 View attachment 803133 View attachment 803134 View attachment 803135 View attachment 803136 View attachment 803137 View attachment 803138 View attachment 803139 View attachment 803140 squid was really tough as we just got voicemails from bait barges. Nacho wanted no part in helping us at the barge at 9pm. Guess it was past his bed time. He was super pissed we even asked if he had squid. Luckily we got some from the Ultra over at Catalina.

Smooth seas all the way to tanner. I got my first hook up at 7 am. 1 ounce glowing slider on 60lb line. And from there we just kept on picking a way. We were just a few shy for limits for the 5 of us. We had plenty by noon and decided to head in early. Took a quick look at cortez for no tuna but some nice goats and whitefish. What an amazing year for me. Bluefin fishing from end of March till now.

Some interesting things I observed….

1.we were chunking and chumming squid, not sure if that would work or not since fish were breezing, but after cleaning the fish, most all had our chum.

2. Drag. Ive never scaled my drags before because i felt that i didnt need to for most fish. With fishing 60, i set drag to 20lbs on a scale. By hand, i would have never set my drag that tight. With that set, i was able to land the fish in only about 20-25 minutes compared to the long 40 plus minute battles. I even pushed past the "strike" and was surprised how the gear would hold up. Needless to say, I'm not so shy about fishing heavy drag now.

3. go with the flow. All hook ups were on the drift. Saw lots of boats just zig zagging around out there. just shut down and drift…

Well….i think thats the last tuna trip for me..but who knows with the year we've had. View attachment 803141 View attachment 803142 View attachment 803143 View attachment 803144 View attachment 803145

I'm getting where I recognize you guys--just too cool and great photos too. I'll bet you either A, have a huge freezer and/or B, give one heck of a lot of fish away, especially this year.

Upvote 0