flyliner

@thereelflyliner
Aug 19, 2007
Santa Monica
Name
Jonathan
Boat
31' Cabo Express
Now that all we are anchovies, I was trying to think of the best shimano combo for flylining these little guys.

Was thinking about a Terez TZC 80 ML with a Trinidad 12A?

Upvote 0

DRH

NONE-YA
Jul 12, 2008
SANTA CLARITA
Name
DALE....
Boat
Now that all we are anchovies, I was trying to think of the best shimano combo for flylining these little guys.

Was thinking about a Terez TZC 80 ML with a Trinidad 12A?
excellent combo... for local i use a Phenix 866 and the tn12-spooled with 30 braid and a short top shot of 15 or 20lb.

Upvote 0

Timmo

Feb 18, 2013
Westminster
Name
Victor
Boat
None
If all we have is anchovies, I wonder with this set-up how big a tuna can we catch, on a cattle boat. Would it be under-gunned?

excellent combo... for local i use a Phenix 866 and the tn12-spooled with 30 braid and a short top shot of 15 or 20lb.

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
And the recommended rod, please? And this should be ok to cast chovies?

Thanks.
for 25 lb,gloomis psr 96-20c, 8ft 15-25 for 30lb psr 84-30c-su 7 ft 25-40 both fast action for 20 lb I use 700 xl calstar GF, nice and light.

Upvote 0

gnehekul

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 23, 2012
los angeles
Name
Fishead
Boat
cash carrying ho
I use a torium 16 or trini 16 for #25 and trini #20 with 30 for cattle boat,s for 6 pack,s you can get away with 15 or 20 on school size fish.
yea but if it was like last year and they kept on telling everyone on the boats to use 40lb... it will be a huge tangle in the corner :)

Upvote 0

Slater

cuss on Monday,pray on Sunday,dream about one day
Jun 1, 2006
Lakeside
Name
Rob
Boat
sold! / cattle boat
Not really understanding this.
I understand it & totally agree...
Everyones anchovy rigs that were purchased now in panic mode will be 4sale in May........

If you fished for any length of time you should be able to make-due with a rod / reel combo that you already have...
Further more Jason found the dines...

Last edited:
Reactions: short-range
Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2007
San Diego
Name
stan
Boat
None
That was my key point. Dines are on the way down. No point in having such a small reel intended for chovies for offshore fishing with dines. In my opinion the 16 narrow size reel is the perfect size for fishing both. When you go too small I feel it doesn't have that broad of a range of application.

Upvote 0

Timmo

Feb 18, 2013
Westminster
Name
Victor
Boat
None
I understand it & totally agree...
Everyones anchovy rigs that were purchased now in panic mode will be 4sale in May........

Ive you fished for any length of time you should be able to make-due with a rod / reel combo that you already have...
Further more Jason found the dines...

Hahah, thanks for the translation.

I will probably just practice casting something light with my TAC-10ii.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

short-range

Independence
Jan 3, 2010
Thousand Oaks
Name
John
Boat
Independence
One point about the gloom of Dines in the receivers from my understanding the boats have not been out much looking yet...I would not get to paranoid about no Dines this season as I'm sure there will be plenty PLUS there is a good amount of MAC's so going light just for chovie I'm not sure about plus ALBACORE ok 15lb 20lb but as the past couple years have shown I don't fish less than 30 and with the actions of a lot of the rods flipping a chovie is no big deal or just grab a fat mac and let it rip.

Upvote 0

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
sounds like you guys are going to either learn how to actually work fish on 20# gear and mild drags.....or starve. the days of using 40-50# rope with locked down drags on 3-speed winches attached to a broomstick for 10# tunas are over....for now. LOL

Upvote 0

flyliner

@thereelflyliner
Aug 19, 2007
Santa Monica
Name
Jonathan
Boat
31' Cabo Express
One point about the gloom of Dines in the receivers from my understanding the boats have not been out much looking yet...I would not get to paranoid about no Dines this season as I'm sure there will be plenty PLUS there is a good amount of MAC's so going light just for chovie I'm not sure about plus ALBACORE ok 15lb 20lb but as the past couple years have shown I don't fish less than 30 and with the actions of a lot of the rods flipping a chovie is no big deal or just grab a fat mac and let it rip.

We have not had sardines where I am (Long Beach/San Pedro) for almost a year now. The San Pedro bait barge got a load of sardines last week, but these were big horse dines that looked like they were at the end of their lives (i.e. last of the sardine cycle dying out).

San Diego may get luck and have sardines every now and then, but for the guys in Orange County/Los Angeles County, I think chovies are going to be the only fin bait for a while that we will see in the receivers.

I personally always fish light tackle anyway, because I have more fun doing it, but even my bass rods had tips that are too stiff to load up a chovy properly on a cast.

Hence I need to get a few rods with light whippy tips.....and it appears that the Terez 80ML could be the ticket. Phenix makes some nice options as well.

Upvote 0

wkk

Apr 10, 2007
so cal
www.socalfishingdynamics.com
Name
will
Boat
Edge Water CC/Bonafide RS117
Back in the days I used a Calcutta 400s with a 7ft all star rod rated 15-30. It had a really light flexible tip. Took some patience and work but I landed 30-40 lb tuna with it. Used 12 & 15 lb pline on my rigs. Pline has a pretty high breaking strength. Came close to getting spooled lots of times but it worked. I'll probably take this back out there now and use spectra for backing. The reels have been upgraded to carbontex and the scale will measure over 20 lbs of smooth drag. I've also upgraded to the newer larger live bait handle.

Upvote 0

fishjunkie1

Jan 22, 2012
California
Name
Fishjunkie1
Boat
Any
We can have a mix of bait but if the fish are keyed in on the chovies then the sardine guys will be left scratching their heads. Seen it way too many times. You still want a chovie rig.

Upvote 0