Inshore Anchoring off Carlsbad State Beach

jcopple

Aug 13, 2007
Carlsbad
Name
Jade
Boat
20' OMC, Quest
Not sure if this is the right spot to post but have a question. I have a campsite Sunday to Sunday week of Fathers Day weekend at South Carlsbad State Beach Campground. Anyone ever anchor a boat outside the surf to have access while camping? Weird idea and not even sure it is legal. Thanks in advance for input.

JC

Upvote 0

fishdog43

Mar 3, 2021
OC
Name
Eric Metz
Boat
none
Just thinking "out loud" here. If you have working anchor lights you could probably do it. However, I'm not sure if you have to have someone on board to keep an anchor watch. If the boat is unattended and it drags the anchor in the middle of the night that could be an expensive problem, not only losing the boat but the amount you'd have to pay for clean up of debris and especially for the fuel spill. If it were me I wouldn't chance it. Oceanside Harbor is only about 10 miles away. I think I'd just look into renting a slip for the week and driving over there to use the boat.

aztec23

• Aug 18, 2017
    North County SD
    Name
    Nick
    Boat
    Wellcraft 18 CC
    Camp there often and have never seen someone try that one. I have docked my boat at Oside harbor before at foot rate. If surf isnt bad thought about using an inflatable yak to get out to the kelp right past the surf zone. Have seen guys catching calico off sup boards there. Surf fishing can be good but usually a hassle with the weeds on line every cast.

Reactions: jcopple

djam

Almost A Member
  • Jun 2, 2008
    Irvine
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    Parker 2320 (Terabite)
    In addition to the run away boat, I'd be afraid of someone getting on board and either trying to steal it and messing up your boat or just being general assholes and damaging your boat.

Danthefishman

Oct 30, 2006
    La Mesa
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Aquasport 215DC
    we camp there often and there is no way I'd be able to sleep leaving the boat unattended. Pick up a cheap SUP and rig it to fish. When the surf is small we fish all the time!

20210317_143759.jpg

108271.jpeg

108277.jpeg

bazzturd

I fish in the ocean, not the internet
    Aug 7, 2008
    Westminster, CA
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    2005 Grady White Seafarer 228 (no name yet)
    I'm just going to say this, "Terrible idea." Would be sweet if there was legit moorings but there isn't and this could be catastrophic.

SEA SEVEN

Feb 2, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    None
    Boat
    None
    1617049097508.png

I know its not helping, but thought it was funny this was on the bottom. Anyway, I think there's a general rule boat has to be attended while on the hook, unless its beached. Could be wrong tho. Good luck either way, but having access to a boat while camping sounds like a blast.