Anchor winch

Paulthefishkilla

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 3, 2014
Name
Paul Gassmann
Boat
La Chingadera
I’m looking on recommendations to replace my Lewmar pro fish.

Tyler Doan

Nov 9, 2016
Anaheim
Name
Tyler
Boat
Parker 2520 MV
My Pro Fish only lasted a year and Lewmar said it'd take a year to send a new one. So I got the pro series 1000 and I haven't had a problem for 3 years. If you want to go to the drum style windlass, the ez anchor puller is a great and reliable alternative. https://www.ezanchorpuller.com

Paulthefishkilla

Jun 3, 2014
Name
Paul Gassmann
Boat
La Chingadera
My Pro Fish only lasted a year and Lewmar said it'd take a year to send a new one. So I got the pro series 1000 and I haven't had a problem for 3 years. If you want to go to the drum style windlass, the ez anchor puller is a great and reliable alternative. https://www.ezanchorpuller.com
Was the bolt holes the same for the pro series 1000?

BBLDarkStar

I'll fish next to you while you get bit
Aug 13, 2015
Redlands
Name
Randy Champion
Boat
Tyrant Flycatcher
I’m looking on recommendations to replace my Lewmar pro fish.
I just got done stuffing a Lone Star GX2 into the anchor locker on my 2120. Can't tell you how well it works yet, but it seems like a really well made product. I've only heard good things about them except for the occasional warning about getting the line stuck in itself. I think that has a lot to do with how you wind it when you rig it though.

One of the best things is that I now have 650' of rode in a really small anchor locker. Unlike a traditional windlass, the drums will accept any type of rode that you want to use. No issues with eye splices or thin rope.

Carpfisher

Chief Cook & Bottle Washer
Jul 3, 2012
Carpinteria
Name
Paul
Boat
226 Cabo Cuddycon, 16' Bayrunner
4 years ago, I bought a Pro Fish 700 from WM on sale, I think 750ish. Just had the pulpit modified to install today. Besides tying off the rode at anchor, is there anything I can grease or do to prevent the inevitable. I'll have to search for Lewmar preventive maintenance thread. Something about a stripped or loosening nut and repacking w grease.

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
From what I have seen, no conventional windlass handles the line to chain connection well, and for some of them getting it unstuck is a major production. So, unless someone can tell you they have a windless that works perfectly with line/chain, I would either go to the drum type or all chain (though that isn't practical for most boats).

Long Beach Bob

May 13, 2004
Long Beach and points due west
Name
Bob Ballew
Boat
2520 Parker with twin 200 Yamahas
The older Lewmars had a small gear shaft...don't know if the gear is still the same size....put side pressure on the shaft and the gear head can snap off when the boat bucks up and down in swells (when anchored, line pressure should always be on a cleat, not the winch itself)...you need to pull the sideplates once a year, clean out any salt and repack with grease if there is no rubber seal between the sideplate and winch housing...

Reactions: Carpfisher

Paulthefishkilla

Jun 3, 2014
Name
Paul Gassmann
Boat
La Chingadera
I just got done stuffing a Lone Star GX2 into the anchor locker on my 2120. Can't tell you how well it works yet, but it seems like a really well made product. I've only heard good things about them except for the occasional warning about getting the line stuck in itself. I think that has a lot to do with how you wind it when you rig it though.

One of the best things is that I now have 650' of rode in a really small anchor locker. Unlike a traditional windlass, the drums will accept any type of rode that you want to use. No issues with eye splices or thin rope.

Paulthefishkilla

Jun 3, 2014
Name
Paul Gassmann
Boat
La Chingadera

what size rope you put on it and how much chain?

#WHERESTHEKELPPADDY

Jan 3, 2017
COSTA MESA
Name
Tee-Oh-Double-Dee
Boat
Small raft
Lone Star offers a 5 yr warrenty on their motor and EZ Anchor system offers a 7 yr warrenty.... While the drum winchs look ugly on deck, the appear to do the job and make pulling and dropping anchor effortless - Any have an opinion on Free Fall features for a drum winch - seems only practical for deep water achoring.

Jef

Jun 16, 2015
Name
Jeff
Boat
None
Running a lone star (don’t remember model ) with 30 feet of chain and as much Amsteel as I can fit

it’s great

A69CA8F7-EC72-4E1F-93B0-45A5C1C8FE23.jpeg

Jef

Jun 16, 2015
Name
Jeff
Boat
None
I honestly don’t remember the size of the rode , I think it’s 5/16 maybe .

it’s been a while .

next week we are mounting out minn Kota so we probably won’t use the winch that often

Reactions: scaryfast26

#WHERESTHEKELPPADDY

Jan 3, 2017
COSTA MESA
Name
Tee-Oh-Double-Dee
Boat
Small raft
X2 on the install - did you fiberglass the old winch holes or use starboard to cover? Was the install tough or did you have a shop do it? How many hours to install?

Jef

Jun 16, 2015
Name
Jeff
Boat
None
No old holes since I didn’t have a winch before

fairly easy install.

Cost of the wiring harness and the rope was almost as much as the winch lol

I think all said and done I had 3k into it

Paulthefishkilla

Jun 3, 2014
Name
Paul Gassmann
Boat
La Chingadera

You have any pictures?

BBLDarkStar

Aug 13, 2015
Redlands
Name
Randy Champion
Boat
Tyrant Flycatcher
what size rope you put on it and how much chain?
Never did see a notification for this for some reason.

My rode consists of 600' of 6mm dyneema rope, 10' of 3/8 3 braid as a snubber, and 30' of 1/4" short link chain.

BBLDarkStar

Aug 13, 2015
Redlands
Name
Randy Champion
Boat
Tyrant Flycatcher
You have any pictures?
Still haven't taken any good ones but here's what I have so far. Will try to remember to take some in the daylight this weekend while lobster fishing.

I replaced the old wooden locker cover with a cover I made of 3/4" starboard. Apparently I genny taken any pictures since I installed the hawse pipe in the cover or filled the drum. There's about an inch of clearance in every direction for the windlass. It's tight and it was a major headache getting it in there, but I like having the fore deck clear. The Lone Star is pretty big and would really be in the way on the bow for me. I already feel like I'm straining to see over the bow all the time.

PXL_20210115_021457200.NIGHT.jpg
PXL_20210114_222428027.jpg
PXL_20210114_222505086.jpg
PXL_20210114_222432462.jpg
PXL_20210114_222453255.jpg

BBLDarkStar

Aug 13, 2015
Redlands
Name
Randy Champion
Boat
Tyrant Flycatcher
X2 on the install - did you fiberglass the old winch holes or use starboard to cover? Was the install tough or did you have a shop do it? How many hours to install?
In my case it took two of us a full day between fabricating the brackets and the anchor locker lid. Old windlass was mounted on a hokie 2" thick piece of Doug Fir in place of the anchor locker cover that was dry rotting from the inside out. No holes since I made a new cover from starboard.

BBLDarkStar

Aug 13, 2015
Redlands
Name
Randy Champion
Boat
Tyrant Flycatcher
No old holes since I didn’t have a winch before

fairly easy install.

Cost of the wiring harness and the rope was almost as much as the winch lol

I think all said and done I had 3k into it
Same here. About 3k between windlass, rode, starboard, hawse pipe, etc....