pescadorrr

Almost A Member
Feb 8, 2013
Seal Beach,CA
Name
Pescadorrr
Boat
Parker 1801
Getting ready to get my galvanized bruce/claw anchor set up. Any suggestions what material to use for the seizing wire for the galvanized shackle?Monel? SS? Does it make a difference if you put the staight pin on the D shackle through the anchor, or the rounded part? How do people feel about swivels for anchor chain?

Thanks!

Last edited:

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
Stainless wire is fine.

Either way for the shackle depending on if the pin is the only part that will go through the chain link.

Not a big fan of swivels. Let the anchor spin straight while raising it - don't try to wind chain that is twisted.

Reactions: pescadorrr
Upvote 0

Capt.C.Delany

The only fishing I do is trolling the Internet
  • Jun 22, 2014
    No Grave But the Sea
    Name
    Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
    Boat
    Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
    I have been using 3 zip ties instead of wire. Works perfectly.

Edit:
    To be clear, I would not go to sleep or leave the boat un-attended with this set up. Just makes it super easy when pulling the anchor by hand if it gets hung up, instead of cleating it off and using the boat.

Last edited:
    Dragon
    Dragon
    What size anchor? I just got a Bruce 11lb was going to use 2 zip ties? they are a little thicker. I went with the swivel, 25' of 1/4 galv. chain & 250' of braided 1/2"
    Upvote 0
    Capt.C.Delany
    Capt.C.Delany
    It's a Lewmar Claw anchor, I believe it is the 22 lb. but it could possibly be the 16.5. Ill check it this weekend.

(30' of 1/4 chain + 300' of 1/2" 8-plait)
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

pescadorrr

Almost A Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    Seal Beach,CA
    Name
    Pescadorrr
    Boat
    Parker 1801
    Stainless wire is fine.

Either way for the shackle depending on if the pin is the only part that will go through the chain link.

Not a big fan of swivels. Let the anchor spin straight while raising it - don't try to wind chain that is twisted.
    Yeah I had my doubts about swivels. Just seems like one more thing that can fail. Trying to keep things simple yet solid. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Islandrat

Wish I was new
    Aug 15, 2007
    Camarillo
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    Davis 22 to Radon 26 to Crystaliner 33
    25’ of chain is not a lot. Some on here will say way more but u should add 10’ to your boat length. I assume your not on a 15’ boat

Dragon
    Dragon
    I added 5' to my boat length...That was what I was willing to spend. By the time you add it all up Rode, hardware, anchor, & chain. Its 3 bills easy...Way better than the POS that I had.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0