anchor question

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by tunakid, Mar 26, 2006.

1. tunakid

tunakid Newbie

Name:
    Austin
    Boat:
    skipjack 30
    My dad, bro and I are in the process of rigging our boat right now and we need to select what anchor we are going to get. I was just wondering what you guys would recommend for an anchor set up. Style of anchor, rope length and thickness, chain length and thinkness, etc. the boat will be in the 35' range. thanks for any help

2. Joey805

Joey805 Administrator Admin

Name:
    Joey
    Boat:
    Too many of them
    All around best anchor I have seen people use is a Bruce. Also most of the sport boats I've seen use them too. West Marine makes one thats just like it for alot less money that works great. I run it on my boat with about 30 feet of chain and have never slipped.

Here is the original:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...1052/0/0/bruce/All_2/mode+matchallpartial/0/0

Here is the one West Marine makes:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/10001/-1/10001/239615/10001/212/11206/5

In my opinion, thats one of the best out there when used with the right amout of chain. I'm not sure of the exact formula for your boat length but i'm sure someone here knows.

3. FishStalker

FishStalker You're no daisy

Name:
    Charles aka "Ben"
    Boat:
    15' Tupperware Sloop
    The anchor size is boat length dependant but the chain length is a function of your scope, not your boat length.

http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/34.htm

Joey is right, the Bruce is the most common anchor I've seen. Don't get a Danforth style fluke. They suck.

4. Afry

Afry Capitán

Name:
    Arnie
    Boat:
    38 Mediterranean, 23 Key West
    Use as much chain as you can, it makes all the difference in holding power. I am assuming you are using a windless on that size boat, if not you probably will before long or you won't use your anchor. I have 300' of chain on mine which allows me to shorten scope and allows easier anchoring in crowded areas.

The marine salvage places are good to save a few bucks on an anchor

5. tunakid

tunakid Newbie

Name:
    Austin
    Boat:
    skipjack 30
    thanks for the help guys. much appreciated

6. tunajeff

tunajeff Newbie

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    xxx
    My experience is all chain if your winch will handle it! the problem is most wont you will burn out the motor. if you are anchoring at the islands bruce or a knock off bruce is the only anchor i would use! If you are going to do a lot of sleeping on the anchor get as big as you can handle with at least 60ft of chain for your size boat. I also wouldnt wire it with a trip if your sleeping a lot. If you are doing basic anchoring use a trip it will save you from loosing your anchor!

7. MM2

MM2 thunnus

Name:
    charlie
    Boat:
    26'PACEMAKER SPORTFISHER "CORAZON"
    right on excellent info, thanx mm2

8. Stuart

Stuart Grand Poobah

Name:
    Stuart
    Boat:
    ProSports 2860WA ProKat
    I use this on my 29 ft. ProKat:
    http://www.mightymiteanchors.com

But, I mostly fish the Sea of Cortez and am anchoring up on deep reefs or structure. 500 ft. of 1/2" line, 20 ft. of heavy galvanized chain. Does a great job. Grabs and holds. Cleat it off when your ready to go and it bends and releases.

If I was anchoring a lot on sandy bottoms, I'd concur with most everyone else on the Bruce. I've got a Danforth fluke collecting dust in my garage.

9. Scrapper

Scrapper Newbie

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    26' Shamrock Pilot House
    I recommend the bruce/claw type anchor as well. I just bought one for my boat. I also recomend at least twice your baot length in chain.

The best price I found for the anchor and chain was at Minneys in Newport Beach. You have to dig around to find what you need but there definately some deals to be had! The 22 pound claw was $63 and I found 55' feet of used 5/16 galvanized chain in perfect condition for $45. Try to beat those prices at worst marine! Now if I could just find a decent windlass.

10. Double Z

Double Z Newbie

Name:
    Harry S. Stamper
    Boat:
    Nope
    I've got 30' of high test chain and a 22lb Delta. Pulling it up without a windlass is a job and a half. Spent many a night on that thing in the open without issue.

11. konared

konared Member

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    Kayak
    Go to Minneys, they have Lewmar claws, cheapest I've found, don't buy them all I still need to get mine!
    red.

12. bertram31

bertram31 Member

Name:
    Jack
    Boat:
    Polaris Supreme
    Dont forget the most important info in this situation. The actual chain gypsy on the winlass you buy has to match the chain you buy. For instance, hi-test, BBB, proof coil, they all hav slightly different sizes on the links and unless you winlass only has a capstan it is important you match the right componets together.

As important, buy a good winlass, Ideal, Muir, Lofrans none of those cheap West Marine products.

Jack

13. tunakid

tunakid Newbie

Name:
    Austin
    Boat:
    skipjack 30
    thanks again for all the good info guys

14. ReelGem

ReelGem Newbie

Name:
    Dave