silez

Sep 1, 2009
Gold Bar, Wa, US
Name
Eric Wilson
Boat
None, Yet!
Hello

I've been researching anchors for use in the North Puget Sound and have come up with nothing conclusive. What do you guys use? Is it a Bruce or "Bruce Style" claw anchor or a Danforth fluke style? Plow?

During my research I have learned that "everyone" has the "best" anchor.

This will be used on a 24 foot osprey.

Thanks.

Jan 19, 2009
Arlington, WA
Name
Gary
Boat
24' North River O/S & 21' Nexus Dory
I have a 24 foot North River with a Danforth and it works well. Two years ago with a strong wind out of the south I caught a crab pot line in the prop just south of Hat Island in Padilla Bay. That anchor kept me off the beach long enough to clear the mess in some shitty conditions.

Whatever you get make sure you can deploy it quickly and you have plenty of chain and line. I carry thirty feet of chain and 200 feet of line and I am not convinced that I have enough line.

Spring Fever

Jul 2, 2009
Gig Harbor
Name
Bait dragger
Boat
Floater
We've used a bruce for anchoring in the straits for several years and have been super impressed. 28' boat in very heavy current and we've never moved once. Sticky as hell. 30' of good heavy chain and you're golden. And depending on how you intend to pull your anchor, the bruce works well with the scotsman ring.

Ducky Duckworth

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 29, 2013
Anacortes
Name
Curt
Boat
Duck, Duck, Goose
I don't have a Windless. Last week we had a hell of a time breaking lose the anchor then lifting it to the surface. I have 25 ft of chain on a 22 lb Rocna. What is the preferred method to lift an anchor in 150 ft of water while fighting wind and tide?

Spring Fever

Jul 2, 2009
Gig Harbor
Name
Bait dragger
Boat
Floater
I don't have a Windless. Last week we had a hell of a time breaking lose the anchor then lifting it to the surface. I have 25 ft of chain on a 22 lb Rocna. What is the preferred method to lift an anchor in 150 ft of water while fighting wind and tide?
Scotsman ring in my opinion.

Glad Wrap

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 21, 2009
Tacoma, WA
Name
Scott
Boat
boat whore
A few companies make these type. Put the boat in gear, throttle up and the boat pulls the anchor up. The anchor will be pulled up to the chain.

ipo_anchorlift_puller_with_red_bouy.jpg

LipRipR

May 3, 2008
portland oregon usa
Name
Mick Nuttall
Boat
#1. 2252CP WET DREAM #2.1854 F/S
A few companies make these type. Put the boat in gear, throttle up and the boat pulls the anchor up. The anchor will be pulled up to the chain.

View attachment 515218

That columbia river anchor pulller Aka: Ez
puller is what I've used for over 20 years with a Bruce/plow.

Great system.... They work for crab/shrimp pots too.

I use a quick disconnect for/on the ball so it can be removed/installed.

Iis it FUCKING TIME YET?

Last edited:
O

oldfisherman#1

A Lawson 11 lb claw holds me just fine. I didn't drift 1 foot last weekend when I anchored in 130 feet with 4 foot rollers near Dungeness spit. I gave up on Danforths, in my opinion they suck.

tambs

Yo BD! Color Screens-Invented Mid '50s. Jus sayin.
Oct 1, 2009
Tri-Cities, WA
Name
Tom
Boat
"Bottom Line" - 25' Carolina Classic SF

Voice activated windlass. "Junior, grab that line and don't stop pulling until I tell you!".

LndShrk

Lost And Found
Feb 13, 2012
WA
Name
Steve
Boat
20' Thunderjet Luxor "No Limits"
I run a Lewmar claw anchor. Mine is 16lbs (Overkill for my boat I used an 11lb for years and it worked fine) It is quick to set and holds like a dream.

It holds so well that when the current is really blowing it will pull the buoy under.

I also use the above mentioned anchor lift.

Hewes OP

Night Crawlers & Powerbait Baby!!
Apr 2, 2010
Arlington, WA
Name
Geoff
Boat
Hewes OceanPro "TIN-ASS-CITY" & Starcraft 1648 Mod V for the ducks
Ask anyone........

A pipe jig and a couple hundred yards of 80lb braid will anchor your ass pretty well.
Ture Dat!!

I use a Danforth with 30' of 1/4" chain and 600' of 1/2" of rode.

jgsons2

Dec 29, 2010
LaConner, WA
Name
James
Boat
401-K 28' North River
The Bruce company only makes very large anchors(500lb) as of a few years ago. The bruce style is what I use as my main anchor and a Danforth as my back up.
My bruce style has 30ft of chain and 300ft of 1/2 nylon rope. (Yes I have a windless for that much rope.) My back up has 30ft of chain and 400ft of 3/8 nylon rope. We use the backup mostly for a shore rope.