Anchor and windlass (Maxwell VWC800?)

Aug 21, 2020
Burbank, California
Name
Harry karaoglanian
Boat
Tiara 3900 open
Hello,

Thanks in advance for the assistance. Purchased a used 2002 pursuit/tiara 3800 open and I’m looking to add/reduce chain and add rope to my existing anchor.

First step - identify current model. 100% a maxwell but not sure what model it is. I have a manual that states it is a “VWC800” and speaking to Maxwell - it appears this is an “only chain” model. True? Maxwell is telling me to switch out to aN RC8 model to add the rope.

Should I? Is there another windlass that will be better?

Second- I have 150’ of chain- a huge anchor locker- I would like to reduce the chain to 50 ft and add 600’ of rope. I’m looking to anchor more often and when rock fishing @ 300ft.

Upvote 0

oceanjake

May 10, 2005
Long Beach
Name
Jake
Boat
36’ Tiara Express
I’m in a new to me 36 tiara, so similar boat. I’m digging into this same project.

you should be able to change just the Gypsy on your windlass to permit combo rope/chain unless the manufacturer never offered this on your model.

I’m going to run 250’ of chain and 300’ of rope. My logic is that most often I will be able to stay on chain only and only need the rope on occasional and infrequent deep spots. IMO windlasses and rope aren’t nearly as compatible as all chain. The rope tends to fray and honestly I just don’t trust it.

Reactions: SpreadsheetSavage
Aug 21, 2020
Burbank, California
Name
Harry karaoglanian
Boat
Tiara 3900 open
I’m just more worried about getting hung up with the chain than the rope, but I guess I’d be able to let the anchor go until the rope then cut the rope.

I have a lot of room in the anchor locker I might do the same as you but any way I’d like to have about 600’ of a mix between the two at least. Tired of drifting all over the place.

Reactions: oceanjake
Upvote 0