An odd question...

Discussion in 'Personal News' started by gungr, Oct 16, 2013.

1. gungr

gungr Member

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    2000 Trophy 2302
    Hi all. I have a friend whose father-in-law passed away recently. He asked if I could take a few of his family members out for a small ceremony and burial of his cremated remains at sea. I'm not at all familiar with the laws regulating such a practice. I've heard I may need to report it to the EPA but how, or which form to use is unclear to me. Part of me just wants to go out a few miles and dump them without saying anything. I've read online that non-creamated remains can be buried 3 miles offshore in 600 ft of water, but I can't find anything clear on cremated remains. Anybody have insight into this?
    Thanks in Avance

2. @-EZ

@-EZ Fail, try again.

Name:
    Max
    Boat:
    Trophy Pro, @-EZ
    Disposition of Cremated Remains

In California, you may choose any of the following methods of disposition of cremated remains:

• Placement in a columbarium or mausoleum – There may be additional charges for endowment care, opening or closing, recording, flower vase, and nameplate
    • Burial in a plot in a cemetery – There may be additional charges for endowment care, opening or closing, recording, outer burial container, flower vase, and marker
    • Retention at a residence – The funeral establishment or crematory will have you sign the Permit for Disposition showing that the remains were released to you and will file it with the local registrar of births and deaths. You may not remove the cremated remains from the container and you must arrange for their disposition upon your death
    • Storing in a house of worship or religious shrine if local zoning laws allow
    • Scattering in areas of the state where no local prohibition exists and with written permission of the property owner or governing agency. The cremated remains must be removed from the container and scattered in a manner so they are not distinguishable to the public
      Scattering in a cemetery scattering garden; or
    • Scattering at sea, at least 500 yards from shore (this also includes inland navigable waters, except for lakes and streams)
    • Cremated remains may not be transported without a permit from the county health department and they may not be disposed of in refuse.
    Scattering

Cremated remains may be scattered as described above by a licensed cemetery, cemetery broker, crematory, registered cremated remains disposer, funeral establishment staff member, or the family. All cremated remains must be removed from the container for scattering.

Source: http://california.sacreduniverse.com/2008/07/cremation-ca-state-laws/

3. laroman00

laroman00 Newbie

Name:
    RED
    Boat:
    '87 Seaswirl- El Rojo 2
    I recently had that same request. So to my understanding, the place that takes care of the cremating will provide a permit/paperwork that will allow you to spread the ashes. Double check with them to make sure.

4. gungr

gungr Member

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    2000 Trophy 2302

Thanks you guys, I really appreciate the direction. Any idea where I can find the document used to report it to the EPA?

5. ConSeaMate

ConSeaMate Legend in my own mind

Name:
    Buster Brown
    Boat:
    28' Silverton "ConSeaMate"
    Just do it.....you'll be fine.......I've done a couple nobody's going to say anything......

6. Crashburn

Crashburn Executive Board Member

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Never Ever Again 7 has been enough !
    Be very careful with wind direction, took care of both my parents in this manner. Even a good Captain can't control the wind.

7. furniture 4 me

furniture 4 me Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    17 crusader
    JUST Do it!
    been there and done that to help out a family before.

PLUS ITS DURING A GOVT SHUT DOWN, what are they going to do!!!

8. gungr

gungr Member

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    2000 Trophy 2302

Yeah, I thought about the wind... I's hate an eye/mouth full of someones ash if I was down wind...barf

Right, Gov't shut down! I forgot that I can't live my life without them!:Beat_Them

9. stucktip

stucktip I've posted enough I should edit this section

OG Spring Valley, currently- North Park, San Diego
    Name:
    Gabe
    Boat:
    Whatever
    Like everyone else said, Just Do It. We spread my aunts ashes in a couple spots by in the ocean that she really loved and nobody ever said anything.

10. Johnlgarrison

Johnlgarrison The ultimate goal is memories not dreams.

Name:
    Johnny Garrison
    Boat:
    Parker 2320 "Sticky Business 5"
    I have never heard of the government requiring a permit. I have scattered my Son's remains, My Fathers, Aunt's, Uncle's and Grandmothers remains. As far as I am concerned it is none of their business.
    When I go I want my remains divided in thirds, Part where we spread Erik's remains (My Son) part at Cedros (My favorite fishing spot on Earth) and part I want spread on the Baja 1000 race corse.

Just do it

11. gungr

gungr Member

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    2000 Trophy 2302
    Thank you Johnlgarrison, it sounds like you've experienced some painful days. I'm sorry for your losses. I really do appreciate everyones responses and experiences. To be honest I wouldn't mind "just doing it" for my own family, but my friend (and his wife) want to keep things completely above board. I did learn that we need an "Application for Disposition of Human Remains" that costs about $11 from the crematory or mortuary. Once that is filed we can legally dump the ashes at least 500 yds from shore. We'll probably just fill out the form. When I called a local crematory, he told me the same thing you all are saying... just go out and dump them.

12. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    ^^^^

....unless you post about it afterwards on the internet, of course.

13. johnnylite

johnnylite Never too late to change.

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Triumph 210cc
    Good for you by the way.

14. stairman

stairman ......

Name:
    doug
    Boat:
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    just go do it...if the women want a permit type up something official looking and have somebody sign it.

What will they regulate next? If I die and my son buys a permit from some government agency he knows i'll come back and haunt him!

15. Professor

Professor Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Yale
    Boat:
    32' Blackman Sportfisher "Riley"
    Done it numerous times. Just go do it and remember cast a bait into the wind and scatter ashes on the other side of the boat. Flowers for each to toss in are good also. Sorry for your friends loss.

16. mercerm

mercerm Member

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    24 skipjack
    Make sure to note the lat/lon where you do it. The family will be glad to have that...

I have always said to take some of my ashes and mix em into a few plastic swim baits, that way I can keep catching fish after i am gone....

17. Jig Strike

Jig Strike . . . new and improved

Name:
    Glenn
    Boat:
    Ho Ho Ho

Sorry for your loss.
    Make a day of it.

You know best.

Everyone is with you.

18. capt. kirk

capt. kirk Member

Name:
    kirk
    Boat:
    parker 2520
    Just amazing, $11.00 fee. You would think you would be done paying the government once you have passed.

Guess not :(

I have done it several times. Just do it seems to be the right answer here...

19. Aggro

Aggro Keepin my pimp hand strong!

Name:
    AGGRO
    Boat:
    skiff
    I want my ashes spread into the biggest freshwater drinking supply of the most liberal City in the US :D Spread the love so to speak :rofl: I'll even pay 11 bucks to do it. Then, maybe all my left over lead ammo too :D

20. @-EZ

@-EZ Fail, try again.

Name:
    Max
    Boat:
    Trophy Pro, @-EZ
    Brilliant!!! :D