An interesting read about one persons observation of sharks....

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Loudmusic, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Loudmusic

Loudmusic Newbie

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    Fish From Shore
    Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

Read this a couple minutes ago. Interesting observation he had about the Galapagos Sharks coming in and cleaning out his local banks. Obviously the Galapagos Sharks have been pretty thick at Alijos the last couple years and the fishing there seems to be correspondingly down too.

With the big tuna being more mobile than the reef predators I imagine that when the sharks are in, they just go about their business or move off to another location but has anyone noticed a difference in the quality of other catches at clarion or HB since the Galapagos Sharks seem to really enjoy those waters? Not sure how often people are dropping down for olive grouper, pargo or any of the other reef fish there when the tuna aren't hungry.

2. backlashjack

backlashjack Scallywag

Name:
    Jackson
    Boat:
    Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
    a few weeks ago the sharks were eating the bottom species before you could get 'em up. They were super aggressive, someone told me that they were all pregnant females. They also ate PL68's, wahoo bombs and poppers - mine. rotten pricks

3. The Right Kind

The Right Kind Slave

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    The Right Kind - 31' Cabo Express
    Did you see this picture on the mainland Mexico reports?
    I think this is at Clarion. This could shut down a bite!

[​IMG]

4. Holi-e-Mackeral

Holi-e-Mackeral Holi-e-Mackeral

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    Royal Polaris - sold the boat
    Lets go swimming....

5. Soda Pop

Soda Pop I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    David Rouse
    Boat:
    Long range fishing
    That looks just like our trip on the Intrepid in May. Shark convention... LOL

6. bbuck

bbuck Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Buck
    Boat:
    sunk
    After 40+ trips to Clarion/H.B. over the last 16 years I don't really see any shark change. Now as then, some trips you fish clean, other trips it's shark city. One thing I have noticed is that the warmer the water the more sharks we seem to have.

7. Saluki

Saluki .

Name:
    Mika Tan
    Boat:
    "MoorZilla"
    Had that at the Lupe a couple times.

8. Longshot_Scott

Longshot_Scott Newbie

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    So I'm going to ask a complete newbie question here: When the sharks are that thick, why not tie on some serious cable leader and just fish for sharks, then release them? Some folk travel far and wide, and pay good money to fish for them various places. Is this taboo, illegal or just unpopular as they aren't what folks came on the trip for? I guess my thought is, hey, in a pinch at least it's a fun fight, right? Or is it not allowed in Mexican waters? Sorry if this is a dumb question but figured I might as well be the one to ask it. :)

9. pmurphy

pmurphy Member

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    Hobie kayak
    Longshot: I guess that the prestige of catching a fish depends on the degree of difficulty in catching it. Sharks are pretty indiscriminate eaters, so your presentation doesn't have to be just right. A novice angler can catch sharks, but a novice angler has less chance of catching a tuna, or a yellowtail on a surface iron, or a trout on a dry fly. In tournament bass fishing, they do not use natural bait. It's like if I took beautiful photos that of a wild wolf and of a golden retriever, the picture of the wolf would be a lot more interesting.

10. $norkle

$norkle Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Bruce
    Boat:
    In my dreams!
    Don't need cable leader at all. You hook so many of them, and a lot of them are lip hooked. Have to fight them all the way to the boat to get a cut-off. Once or twice--fun. Any more than that is a lost hook and a waste of time and a good bait.

11. The Right Kind

The Right Kind Slave

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    The Right Kind - 31' Cabo Express
    Not to mention your f'ed up leader.