An Area 7 Weekend

chumsalmon

Nov 26, 2011
Bellingham, Wa, USA
Name
Mark
Boat
252 Grady White Sailfish "Kaisacole" & 2250 Stratos "All on Red"
Well, first off I'll apologize in advance for my lack of computer skills in posting the pictures that go along with this report and for being long winded....now with that out of the way I'll begin my story.

We decided to mix things up a bit this year for the thanksgiving holiday. Instead of the traditional stay at home and cook the turkey we decided to rent one of the cabins at West Beach Resort on the North end of Orcas Island. My Wife Aunt and our 2 kids made the Ferry ride over on Wednesday and i took our boat over and met them on Thursday. I made it just in time for an Orcas Island Turkey dinner. Weather was a bit sloppy but, the sunset after a great feast that night was beautiful to say the least.

We set crab pots, and did the Island thing on Friday and flat out enjoyed doing a lot of nothing! A warm fire and lots of leftovers soothed the soul that day. Saturday was departure day for my wife, daughter, and aunt. My son Kaiden and I were to continue on in the boat and return on Monday afternoon.

This is where our adventure really begins. I still had an archery deer tag and who could pass up the blackmouth opener on Monday! Saturday we awoke to frigged temperatures and a howling north wind blowing. Our plan was to head for the south end of Cypress island, grab a mooring buoy, inflate the dingy and see if we couldn't chase a few deer around the island. All of that changed when we looked out at the boat that morning!

So instead of going right and towards Cypress we went left towards Jones. I knew that even if we were to go on the inside of the islands it was going to be pretty wicked to get across to Cypress. Besides, Jones has a lot of deer to see even if you can't hunt them....and to a 6 year old boy, it's all about the adventure!

So, we grabbed a buoy on the West side of Jones out of the wicked cold wind and saw deer within moments of being on the hook. Kaiden was pretty pumped to see a couple of Island bucks, even if we couldn't hunt them. So, we pumped up the dingy, put an extra layer of clothes on, packed stuff to build a fire and roast some hot dogs and to shore we went.

All smiles as we made our way to shore.

Looking to the west, and man was it cold! I think the high that day was around 20! We managed to get up close to the bucks and it was great practice for Kaiden. Unfortunately i never got a very good picture. He was all smiles none the less and we spent the rest of the day checking out the island. Sunday morning we awoke in the cuddy cabin to a thick layer of frost on everything inside! The condensation from the two of us breathing had made a little winter wonder land. Kaiden was amazed that it had "snowed on our beds" and i couldn't help but chuckle. So, with morning brought some calmer winds and we made our way towards Cypress. We had smooth sailing through the inner islands till we poked our heads our of obstruction pass. I thought it looked passable, but about half way across i'd wished i'd listened to the voice in my head that said to turn around! It was nasty to say the least! We made it across though and we finally stopped at the south end of cypress and tied up to another buoy. As i stepped out of the cockpit area i realized how cold it really was. All the spray from our crossing had frozen solid and the entire boat had about a 1/4" sheet of ice on everything! But, the cold wasn't going to stop us from doing a little hunting. So, we loaded the dingy and made our way to shore. We did about a 3 mile loop of the island and got on some deer but, they just never gave me a shot. Lot's of fun though. Kaiden was a trooper and didn't skip a beat on our little hike.

With the hunting done for the day we enjoyed a well earned sandwich before we headed back to the boat for the night.

Back on board it was time for some heat and a little movie time! Morning would come soon and Salmon were in our thoughts as we drifted off to sleep Sunday night.

Another cold night and a frosty cabin didn't deter us from getting an early start Monday morning. We woke to 18 degree's but NO wind. Finally!
So, we buzzed up north deployed the gear and within about 30 minutes had our first blackmouth on of the season! Kaiden helped reel it in, but to his disappointment it was just a hair undersized and back it went. We reset the gear made another pass. Kaiden was on the back deck talking to me about something only a 6 year old thinks of when he stops mid sentence and looks at his rod and says..."Dad, is that a fish" i looked over at his rod to see it bounce twice in the rigger before it popped free. My answer "yep!" As i pulled the rod out of the rod holder and was just about to help Kaiden start reeling on the fish i see my rod pop out of the rigger...."Double Header!" So, i placed Kaidens rod back in the rod holder and told him to reel (he's just not quite strong enough to hold the rod and do it all on his own, close but not quite there) while i grabbed my rod. Kaiden was a champ, he reeled his heart out on that fish but, just as the fish got to the boat it made a turn and was gone. The disappointment on his face said it all but, i was quick to say, Hey we still have this one on, get over here and start reeling. It wasn't long and that fish was in the net!

The smile says it all. We fished another hour and had a few more chances but, no more were ment to grace the net that day. It was a great way to end an epic weekend in the islands!

west beach sunset.jpg

West beach on the dock, stormy.jpg

Dingy maiden voyage to shore.jpg

jones dingy kai.jpg

looking west from jones.jpg

Cypress hunt.jpg

Cypress sandwich.jpg

Staying warm.jpg

Kaiden fish.jpg

Kaiden fish.jpg

Wild Bill

Drinking the Suzuki Kool-aid and liking it!
Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft
Right on! Nice to see a kid that enjoys more than just video games. Good job Dad.

Quan

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 21, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Name
Quan
Boat
Defiance Admiral 220 EX "Hawksbeard"
Awesome story, Dad! That just made my day.

J.C.

Run what ya Brung
May 20, 2012
Wa
Name
Justin
Boat
18' aluminum
Great write up, I always enjoy your nack for storytelling.

Scotty Mc

Scotty Mc
Jun 28, 2011
Arlington, WA
Name
Scott McCauley
Boat
Sunbird
Great story. A special time you both will remember for a long time. Agree with Wild Bill, get them kids out to see the real world. Keep it going chumsalmon.

wood2turn

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 17, 2009
Oak Harbor, WA
Name
Terry
Boat
14’ Sterling Sea Skiff - Gypsy Queen
THAT...Mark...
Is one of the very best stories I have read on any forum.
Well done Kaiden...and his dad!

Kingcg1990

May 19, 2014
Name
Chad
Boat
Kenner vision 1902
I still remember the days like that with my dad. Those moments will be with him forever. Great way to spend thanksgiving!

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat
"Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
What a weekend....all I did was sit on the couch on watch football...I feel like a POS. Great job...you got a partner for life.......

Swanny

chumsalmon

Nov 26, 2011
Bellingham, Wa, USA
Name
Mark
Boat
Thanks for the kind words. Been trying to get back out, but the holiday's and wind have put a damper on trips as of late. Going to try for another long weekend come January 1st.

Team Sency

Fish!! Or be Fished!!!
Jan 6, 2012
Black Diamond
Name
Chris
Boat
JuiceBox2
Mark...that was fun to read. JC right on the mark in you being a good story teller. My 4 and 3 year old right around the corner for a trip like that...thanks for sharing!

chumsalmon

Nov 26, 2011
Bellingham, Wa, USA
Name
Mark
Boat
Woodrow,
Saw you guys out there over the Jan. 1st holiday weekend. You guys did well! The kids and I spent 3 nights in the islands.....I changed it up a little this trip and handed off all the fish to the kids...no real help from dad besides initial hook set. May not have been the greatest idea on my part since at the end of the trip we were 1 for 12! Painful to loose that many, but they had a blast and I think they learned a lot.

wood2turn

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 17, 2009
Oak Harbor, WA
Name
Terry
Boat
14’ Sterling Sea Skiff - Gypsy Queen
Well done dad...How else they gonna learn dad?
Time spent with them now will pay HUGE dividends in the future!
I missed a big part of my kids growing up and I'm kind of paying for it now...

windyridgeranch

El Capitan - M/V Cast Away
Sep 28, 2009
Snohomish/WA
Name
Karen
Boat
33' Wellcraft Coastal "Cast Away"
Best Dad Ever! Way to go Kaiden!