Islands Amigo 7-3-21

Omarkayak

I've posted enough I should know better...
Jul 26, 2007
Northridge, CA
Name
Donald W. Clarke III
Boat
11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
Hiya Everyone. Lucked into a charter spot with jigfish on the Amigo overnight out of Pedro. Buddy calls me and says what are you doing tonight, wanna go fishin? Um, well heck yeah. Turned out I would be taking his slot. What a guy. Head down and boat's not in yet. Captain Jeff is a regular Captain Midnight I guess. Cool by me. Turned out to be awesome group of anglers to fish with on top of everything else.

We board, sign the manifest, show our licenses (OMG the tyranny of it all), and Captain introduces the crew and galley, none of whose names I remember and goes over the game plan. Headed to whore island, although it has been very chaste of late, picky bite, vicious marauding sealions, no bass to speak of, etc. Start with live squid on dropper in the gray (they haven't been biting squid later), then working our way around flylining deens whenever the chance presents itself.

Up and at em around 0500. Getting pecked to bits by whitefish with occasional harder tugs. Finally one of them fully eats the tip and turns into a BSB hookup. Before long, my groin is bruising, my arms are turning to rubber, and my hands are becoming useless claws--in short, just an average hookup scenario for this old man, ready to roll home already. Rested a half hour. There were two BSB and a few whitefish caught, then that was it for dropper looping.

Soon we saw the Thunderbird--they had a few yellows, but we didn't get bit in that area. Tried a couple in tight with uphill current. Someone lost a small yellow at color. I got a bit and spit on the flyline deen. We gave the Thunderbird some squid in exchange for--three onions? WTF kinda exchange rate they got going here anyway?

Then, the sun broke through and the whole complexion of the day changed. Putting along one moment, then put the hammer down to "ludicrous speed" the next. Oh wow, little bird school with OH SHIT LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THOSE BOILS! We wuz surrounded, but nothing happening. Couple quick flyline hookups, then nothing, not on bait, not on surface iron cranked through the breaking fish. Captain got on the PA and said yellows at 140 feet, thick as flies on shit (or was it stacked like cordwood?), drop a yoyo! So everyone who didn't already have one rigged went and tied one on. I had some junior sized jig in fried egg color I threw on my Lexapro and a fairly stout Okuma rod with 30#.

It was pandalerium! In surges, accompanied by much shouting, alternating between joyous and profane. Looked like hot jigs were medium sized, in brass, red, or some weird green or blue tint I didn't have. Finally about to give up in exhaustion from yoyoing, I'm on. And into a brutal trip down memory lane being punished by the powerful surges and arm socket yanking thumps of a nice yellow. Bruised gut, rubbery arms, claw hands all over again and loving every minute of it (I'm a wuss AND a glutton for punishment--go figure that out psychologists). Crewman takes my rig long enough for me to pull off my jacket and hoodie because I was absolutely sweating bullets, then I'm back at it. I don't know what it weighed, but it was close to my PB, maybe even bigger. Even larger fish were being boated, fricken huge looking, deep bodied beauties.

Every time they disappeared we'd drive around a few minutes and be right back on em again. I needed an easier setup I could still crank on so settled on my cut down 540 with a Daiwa sealine with the handle extended and, again, 30 pound. Needed a new jig too cuz the hooks were all bent up on my other one and found a 6x dorado color. Couple drops and bam. Put the grip on the rail and start grinding. Occasional short pump when it needed reminding which direction to go. No prob, Bob! Worked like a charm. Somewhat smaller, around 15-18 pounds. Got one more little one and I was pretty much toast for the next two days.

Crew was faultless, helpful, and ruthlessly efficient. Kept thing from tangling before they were even close. Stood by yer side like Tammy Wynette (only different). Sean in the galley (finally remembered his name for some reason) much the same. He whipped up a delicious shrimp quesadilla snack on the way in, yum! And the boat rides pretty nice too (semi brutal wind waves off the port beam for most of the trip back). Would definitely ride it again. I'd bring a better heavy setup, though (beefier 540 and 40 pound?).

Good fishin'!
BDC OK

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Wow great report and read. Congrats on your new PB Yellow! LOL
    What NO PICS? The BD Gang likes pics. LOL

BEEF.jpg

• Love
    Reactions: jeffkaiser
    Upvote 0

watersdeep

I CATCH IT. I KILL IT. I CLEAN IT. I DON'T DELIVER
  • Jan 19, 2016
    LB
    Name
    Jed Venture
    Boat
    the twisted ducker
    Some sort of a road scholar in our midst, fun stuff!

Reactions: jeffkaiser
    Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Feb 22, 2004
    Escondido, CA
    Name
    jeff meeker
    Boat
    26 Blackman Billfisher
    Great report and I could feel your pain after the BSB, well almost !
    Thanks for the great write up!

Upvote 0

Omarkayak

Jul 26, 2007
    Northridge, CA
    Name
    Donald W. Clarke III
    Boat
    Hey, sorry about lack of pics. :( I'm generally too desperate to get bit to bother with the cam. Figured they'd have something up on their website you could look at :boobies:. Think they knocked the stuffing out of them the next day as well.

Couple other things I left out:

Absolutely no hassle from the sea lions other than eating some bait--no clue why that might be after how they'd been acting for days prior.

Water was very clean blue at clemente, kind of greenish blue passing cat, and surprisingly clean and blue on the outside part of the shoe.

First thing I did when we began fishing was immediately tangle my neighbor. Sorry! (again) Felt like a total that-guy.

Feeling rarin' to go again now! Ima hobble right out there as soon as I get another chance to hit it.

Good fishin'!
    BDC OK

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
  • Feb 19, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    25ft Skipjack fly
    Cool post!. Thanks for the great write up!

Upvote 0

YellowFever858

Got Color?
    Sep 8, 2008
    San Diego/LA
    Name
    The Birdnest Whisperer
    Boat
    soon...
    Saw you guys out there, was on board the toronado. Grey/morning bite was brutally slow, but as you mentioned, when the sun came out the fish wanted to play. We didnt get into as good of a bite on the yellows as it sounds you guys did, but i did manage two smaller fork tails while dropping down hoping for a halibut go figure. Also, wtf was up with the bait situation? We loaded up on pinner anchovies and dines were nonexistent - dines were worth the weight in gold for the yellows to bite with the few that were in the mix of bait scoops.

Upvote 0

Omarkayak

Jul 26, 2007
    Northridge, CA
    Name
    Donald W. Clarke III
    Boat
    Saw you guys out there, was on board the toronado. Grey/morning bite was brutally slow, but as you mentioned, when the sun came out the fish wanted to play. We didnt get into as good of a bite on the yellows as it sounds you guys did, but i did manage two smaller fork tails while dropping down hoping for a halibut go figure. Also, wtf was up with the bait situation? We loaded up on pinner anchovies and dines were nonexistent - dines were worth the weight in gold for the yellows to bite with the few that were in the mix of bait scoops.
    Guess we had an "in" at San Pedro bait... Mix of chovies and deans. During fish cleaning, yellows had loads of chovies, probably what they were eating at the island.

jigstickjeff

• Aug 5, 2009
    San Gabriel CA
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    BZ T-10
    Was this the 7/2 to 7/3 overnight?
    Did you take Val's spot?
    If so I have some pics.

Upvote 0

thrasher949

Nov 18, 2010
    San Clemente, CA
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    Parker 23
    Theres some new DFW guys harassing the sportboats over some ticky tack stuff like the size of skin tags and things like that so dont be surprised if they ask you for your license. At this point the sportboat captains are just trying to stay off the radar for this nonsense. Its been a total waste of time for everyone.

Upvote 0

jigstickjeff

• Aug 5, 2009
    San Gabriel CA
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    BZ T-10
    Theres some new DFW guys harassing the sportboats over some ticky tack stuff like the size of skin tags and things like that so dont be surprised if they ask you for your license. At this point the sportboat captains are just trying to stay off the radar for this nonsense. Its been a total waste of time for everyone.
    They were making their presence known.

Upvote 0

Omarkayak

Jul 26, 2007
    Northridge, CA
    Name
    Donald W. Clarke III
    Boat
    Was this the 7/2 to 7/3 overnight?
    Did you take Val's spot?
    If so I have some pics.
    That's the one, yes! Val was the unlucky but generous cuss who stayed home. I'm sure he'd like to see some pics since I didn't freakin take any haha. Helluva trip, great fishing with your group, thanks again Jeff.

Good fishin'!
    BDC OK

Reactions: jigstickjeff
    Upvote 0

Omarkayak

Jul 26, 2007
    Northridge, CA
    Name
    Donald W. Clarke III
    Boat
    Yeah, the constabulary have been known to go a little "overboard" at times (heh heh), but in general they are tasked with keeping tabs on things like that. I have absolutely no problem doing our part to help the boat remain in compliance, like showing our licenses beforehand or keeping track of my fish sizes, species, numbers, whatnot. I was just being a little sarcastic referencing a recent thread, because, go with your strengths, y'know?. Anyway, you make an excellent point.

Good fishin'!
    BDC OK

Upvote 0

jigstickjeff

• Aug 5, 2009
    San Gabriel CA
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    BZ T-10
    That's the one, yes! Val was the unlucky but generous cuss who stayed home. I'm sure he'd like to see some pics since I didn't freakin take any haha. Helluva trip, great fishing with your group, thanks again Jeff.

Good fishin'!
    BDC OK
    I'm so glad that you were able to join us in Val's place. (Although Val was missed) It was a great trip, with a great group, on a great boat with an awesome crew. Hope both you and Val can join us on future trips!!

Upvote 0

Latest posts