American Angler (LATE) 7 day report

SemperFishing

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Name
Dave
Boat
Prefer Long Range or skiffs (great if combined!)
A very late report from a American Angler 7 day back in late august. I had the privilege of fishing the Katsugi Charter with the “famous” Jimmy Lew. Ive been ordering rods from Yos for nearly a decade and in all that time I never got to fish with Jimmy, and let me tell you, now that I have, that guy kills em!
The trip was awesome, I’ll let the pics do the talking. My big thanks to John Tuttle, Panga Master, KML, fishNrust, fishordie, lasparky, sactotuna, steveK and bunch of others for their spectra rigging advice for my new Penn 16VSX (I only hooked one tuna on it, and then the hook pulled, but I felt that had his ass…). I’m booked on a 15 day next February, so I’ll get another shot with it!
The trip in a nutshell: awesome weather, super friendly passengers, outstanding crew, great fishing, we got wide open yellows at the ridge where my Tady 45 got T-boned, split S&#8217;d and wolfpacked by 15-25lb yellows. Hit Alijos Rocks and got into the 45-120lb tuna. They were eating good, with 1-10 tuna going most of the day. The key was to get the bait OUT THERE, and a little patience. Wahoo Fishing was sporadic, we only got 8 for the whole trip, but I nailed the 2<SUP>nd</SUP> one (about 30-35lbs). The Sucker sunk out like a tuna, I was shocked, I thought I had a yellowfin he fought so hard.
If you were ever wondering about taking a trip and what it would be like, the following pics will give you good background on what a long range trip is all about. The AA crew was great, I wouldn&#8217;t hesitant to fish with them again (hell, I might even get along with Statistico this time&#8230;)

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com

Pangamaster

Cow Town Here I come!
Jul 1, 2008
San Ramon, CA
Name
Dave
Boat
SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
Nice work Dave! Better late than never. Looks like good times on the AA! Just another reminder of how great the AA Experience is. 2 1/2 months left until I get my chance to satisfy my AA fix!

PullinAhi

Fisherman
Feb 8, 2008
Mission Viejo
Name
Ryan
Boat
18 foot CC
Nice work Dave! Better late than never. Looks like good times on the AA! Just another reminder of how great the AA Experience is. 2 1/2 months left until I get my chance to satisfy my AA fix!
Yup I can't wait. Never fished the boat, heard only the best of things about it.
2.5 months and counting till the 8 day....

SemperFishing

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Name
Dave
Boat
Prefer Long Range or skiffs (great if combined!)
Dave/Ryan, I hope you guys get a killer early summer trip, last year they had excellent fishing on Yellowfin and Yellowtail during the april-june 8 days. Be sure to post a report and pics!

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
And here I was on Sunday thinking about how it was only ten more months until we depart on the January 6th 10.5 day. Can't forget about the Spring trip! That one's gotta be a good time. Looking forward to seeing a bunch of Angler anglers at the L.B. Fred on Saturday.