Yellowtail Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat Name
    Excel, American Angler
    Finally got home last night at 7pm and got my fish put away so I can post a quick report.

We were told when we arrived at the dock to check in we were going to stay in Ca waters and target the Bigger Bluefin that had popped back up. There were three boats that left the day before all headed South to the rocks so it was an easy call for Ray to make and turned out to be the right call.

We were boarded, loaded with solid bait and on our way out of the harbor to find fish up by Caltalina and San Clemente Islands. Roy gave us the talk and the plan was we’d be fishing that night starting around 9-10pm with heavy his or sinker rigs because the fish were down deep. I had loaded up at Ken’s with some 400gm Rip Rollers and pre-made leaders so after a quick change out of the stock hooks I was ready to go with a couple set ups locked and loaded. My Mak 16 loaded with 100lb spectra to an 80lb Blackwater BHP wind on and 76 Centaur and a Mak 20 loaded with 120lb spectra to a 100lb BHP Blackwater wind on leader on a 76 Viper.

We hit a few pattys on the way up and loaded up on some of that Patty grade yellowtail and smaller dorado to get things going and break the ice. We started fishing right at 10pm that night and it was came on with fish from 60lbs up to I believe 130lbs that first night. I fished till 3am while a few others stayed up till 4am. I had 3 fish with the biggest at right around 100lbs. It was a GREAT start and really set the tone for the trip and put Ray in the position to make some fun choices for later in the trip. We fished the same area the next morning for some more fish although it was much slower with only a few during the daylight. That night we were back at it and they were biting again a little slower but still biting. We had a 184lb fish caught by a young lady Lizzy as Jackpot fish caught the second night. I was sitting down talking to a couple guys after fishing for a couple hours and getting one more on the jig when Ray came charging down telling everyone there was a big school under the boat at 300-400ft down and shaming me for not having a line in the water so I grabbed my 76 Centaur and went back down (I really didn’t want anymore bluefin but…..) and got hammered two cranks up on the second drop. Fish came up and I had a lot of space in the stern and was able to put the wood to him to get him straight up and down in the port corner and then up the Port bow side and finish him off in about 20 minutes. I never saw it until Ray looking down from up top said “that’s a big one, nice fish”. The guys stuck it there and I looked and it was bigger then I thought coming over the rail and weighing out at 170lbs and coming in second for the JP. After that we put a few more on the boat and then shut it down in the early am.

From that point on Roy made the call to go out to the Tanner Bank and go trophy hunting with the kite and flying fish. His goal was to get everyone a jumbo. This was a great call and while we still fished bait 95% of the action from here out was kite fish on the bluefin. We were able to get through the entire group and then some with everyone getting a big one with the size going from 125lbs to a 284lb slob that George Iwamoto at 84 years young caught which got the entire boat fired up (there is a video of it coming over the rail on the AA Facebook page. The look on his face is priceless. I went next to last because I already had a bigger grade fish and because I REALLY didn’t need anymore Bluefin to bring home and got hit right away by a nice fish. By the time I got the rod in the stern the fish had the Penn VISX 50 down to about an inch of spectra so I had work to do, lucky for me he stayed up for most of it so it wasn’t to bad. Finally got him up and gaffes in about 45 minutes and had a nice 202lb fish to add to my pile.

We finished the trip out at the Cortez fishing yellowtail and topping off the third well. We almost had it plugged when we called it a trip. Jackpot fish went 184lbs, 170lbs and 167lbs

Here are some tips and do’s and dont’s

Change out the stock hooks and split rings on any and all heavy jigs. Saw several failures on the stock stuff. Split rings and looks opening up under all that pressure.

Don’t bring a knife to a gun fight. To many people going into the water with the wrong gear and either losing the fish or getting their asses handed to them and the crew doing most of the work. I think a Mak 16 size reel is perfect for this type of fishing. You may be able to get away with Penn VISX 12 or a Mak 15T but that would be pushing it. Also to many people going into the water with the wrong kind of rods that had nowhere near the backbone and pulling power needed for these fish.

Be careful when rigging up and pulling you knots tight. My buddy was rigging up when the jig came off and he got a 10/0 hook from his Rip Roller jig stuck behind his knee past the barb 3 hours into the trip. Luckily we had a Dr on board and Ray and they pushed it through and cut the hook with bolt cutters. Turned out to be ok but could have been much worse. BE CARFUL!!!!

Great trip with a GREAT group with a special Thank You to Ernie Seko and Roy Yoshida from Izorline for the great swag and great Hosts.

291CFFF7-250A-4532-8E5B-0B25BCEEBB5B.jpeg

217B4534-F2F6-45DD-BAC5-FC446C39FEA1.jpeg

3E6300D9-22AE-45CC-9D42-4E02EF5E6009.jpeg

792F962D-CE30-4565-AFE4-2DB1EBE37688.jpeg

66027F2B-D3DA-4BB9-8C61-5C550AB66CC9.jpeg

C98D2911-6F14-4E5A-A89B-DF6E2E64001A.jpeg

568EB8E1-7D63-438D-94B0-CC3AB558C2C7.jpeg

107056A2-1ACD-43D3-BE97-B8B0D7AA196D.jpeg

1B0FBD2C-3C3C-46B4-BB53-0C6634D3719F.jpeg

678AAD5A-A7CC-4A34-84F1-5C6C4BF20FD2.jpeg

03C2B1B5-847F-42A0-8FF1-78624780F07C.jpeg

A174BD6B-4473-4E3A-A0D1-CCD81F91C21C.jpeg

Last edited:

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat Name
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Schweet! I know you were hoping for the run to the Ridge/Rocks but sure looks like Ray’s game plan paid off. And, as you said, three boats headed south the day before you left would put a lot of pressure on those Wahoo. As far as the tuna, looks like Bluefin won the jackpot!

Upvote 0

woodfish330

I'm to smart to figure out how to edit this.
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat Name
    Fishead
    Dan....your the man.... and your group kicked butt!! Nice post .... story and picts my Brother. Even you got a few nice ones. I'm sure your BD Brothers thank you for the current LR "intel" and tips for going right now. 10/0 in the leg.... not fun. Be safe Nice report.

Upvote 0

Kos

The Tug Is My Drug
  • Aug 16, 2018
    San Diego
    Name
    Anthony
    Boat Name
    My wife's boat (yup!)
    Dream trip Dan! Ray and Brian are studs and make those tough calls look easy, which is why they're one of the, if not the top long range boat in the fleet IMO.

We're you a true friend and yell "FRESH ONE" when your buddy got the hook in his leg? Seriously though, it could've been much worse. I'm glad he was ok and they didn't have to turn the boat around. Wonder how many hooks those captains have gotten out of people

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

• Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat Name
    Excel, American Angler
    Dream trip Dan! Ray and Brian are studs and make those tough calls look easy, which is why they're one of the, if not the top long range boat in the fleet IMO.

We're you a true friend and yell "FRESH ONE" when your buddy got the hook in his leg? Seriously though, it could've been much worse. I'm glad he was ok and they didn't have to turn the boat around. Wonder how many hooks these captains have gotten out of people
    No but like a true friend I did hit it with the fish Billy while he was fighting a fish. 100% agree on Brian and Ray

Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0

fshholc

Jul 18, 2005
    Carlsbad, Ca
    Name
    Jay
    Boat Name
    sold
    Dan, before the trip I told myself to look up Yellowtail Dan on the boat. Got so engrossed I forgot to do it. Now I know who you are. Great fishing with you and our other 23 friends. Probably never going to see as many foamers as we saw that second day, truly amazing the amount of fish and bait in that area.

Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

• Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat Name
    Excel, American Angler
    Dan, before the trip I told myself to look up Yellowtail Dan on the boat. Got so engrossed I forgot to do it. Now I know who you are. Great fishing with you and our other 23 friends. Probably never going to see as many foamers as we saw that second day, truly amazing the amount of fish and bait in that area.
    To funny, next time. The volume of fish and micro bait was amazing. Hit it straight and maximize that membership. Next time I’m down there with the clubs we can sneak a round in

Upvote 0

hilltop

lurking in the shallows
  • Jan 1, 2010
    sb 805
    Name
    hilltop
    Boat Name
    sold, pangas, Intrepid, and diggin the RRIII
    Stoked what a trip. Lead by a Capt. who made the right call. Awesome stuff, huge congrats on such an eventful trip. Enjoy that kine kine!

Upvote 0

James Stinnett

Almost A Member
    Nov 16, 2018
    Lincoln, CA
    Name
    James Stinnett
    Boat Name
    Vagabond
    Great report Dan, sounds like a damn good 6 day adventure to me minus a hook in yhe leg by your buddy. Glad to hear his removal went as well as it did. He had good reason to pound whiskey right out the gate. I had a very good friend of mine fall from the galley stairwell and landed on his face. I thought for sure we were turning around after seeing a golf ball sized knot near his left eye and a swollen jaw on his right side. Anyhow after a hemoglobin of neosporin and some much needed rest he bounced back. I am sure you will target wahoo on your upcoming 10 day. You got to pull on fish and came back in one piece..SUCCESS!!

Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat Name
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    It’s been a while, too long, since I fished the Angler. Can you give us the names of the crew in the picture with that big one? 284 and he looks like he’s done that before.

Upvote 0

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat Name
    17' Gregor
    It’s been a while, too long, since I fished the Angler. Can you give us the names of the crew in the picture with that big one? 284 and he looks like he’s done that before.
    Kirk on the left, Jacob holding the fish, Griffin on the right.

Upvote 0