JohnTFT

Insomniac
Feb 11, 2007
The "718"
Name
John
Boat
A big Steel One
Trip sounds like it was huge fun. That is most important - having a good time.

Mysterious spectra breaks - so many possibilities. Its sucks when it happens on solid.

Great Report - thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Yellowtail Dan
Upvote 0

Professor

I Should Upgrade My Account
Dec 17, 2003
San Diego
Visit site
Name
Yale
Boat
32' Blackman Sportfisher "Riley"
"I said my “Fuck” at the rail when it happened and left it there and moved on." Classic and absolutely the way to do it. You can be pissed for 30 seconds or three days the choice is yours.

Upvote 0

Fedge101

Jul 7, 2019
San Diego
Name
Jeff
Boat
NA
I went with 80lb and a big J hook probably a 7-8/0 size. If you have a big circle with a swivel attached that would be great to. Just make sure to push the barb all the way through the skin so you get a good hook set
Can you explain the swivel part please? I’m heading out on the 7 day next week and would like to be prepared for anything. First time going to Guadalupe so I appreciate all the info so far!

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Can you explain the swivel part please? I’m heading out on the 7 day next week and would like to be prepared for anything. First time going to Guadalupe so I appreciate all the info so far!
On the retrieve, the chunk will spin and twist up your line. If you can’t put a swivel on your hook, try using a chunk leader with three feet of line and a swivel on top.

I’ve never fished the chunk at Lupe, but at the Hurricane Bank, I use a leader, 9/0 Super Mutu crimped to 200 lb mono, swivel crimped to the other end.

Reactions: Cubeye and Fedge101
Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    Steve pretty much nailed it. You can buy big circle hooks with quality swivels already attached. The advantage to using heavier mono or FC for a leader comes in handy if you go that route

Reactions: Fedge101
    Upvote 0