Yellowtail Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    Here is a quick report on the 8/1-8/7 trip.

First have to give Lori, Ray, Brad, Kirk, Griffin, Patrick, Tom and Chase all the credit for making the trip a big success. From Lori saving a passenger who forgot his passport the long drive home of shame to Ray and the crew constantly saving fish for people from the sharks. They were all on point and continue to show what makes the AA such a special boat. Thank You!!!

We got loaded and baited up and headed south to check in and make the trip across to the Lupe in the trough due to the high winds. It was a sloppy ride over but not as bad as it could have been. Arrived at the Island around 2:30 and started looking. With 3 other boats already there the options were limited but we found a good shot of tuna and yellowtail that wanted to play and got to work. Ray wanted everyone to fish 60lb or higher because of the sharks. We did and the fish weren’t line shy, we even went up to 80lb the last day while some went down to 50lb (me) for fun and even 40lb (more fun). My biggest issues were pulled hooks bait and chunk and then my new Mak 16 got loaded with a bad batch of 65lb solid. Had two spectra breaks on big fish right when I got them straight up and down and started putting pressure on them with my GP Terminator and the rail before I finally put it away. Shit happens And it was my turn.

The grade of fish was the same the whole time we were there 40-120lb YFT and yellowtail from 15-61lbs. The bite was never wide open, you had to put time in on the rail but they were biting. The sharks got their share but were never overwhelming As long as you pulled hard (you can pull really hard on 60lb folks!!!). Most of the fish we lost to the sharks were due to folks not putting enough pressure on the fish with the rod and drag.

We fished bait and then did very well fishing the chunk bait. Quite a few big yellowtails including the 61lb fish were caught on the chunk bait as were some BIG Calicos. Depending on what you were using for bait hook sizes ranged from 1/0-8/0 J hooks and circles. Short top shots of 60lb FC to mono were the go to for most. I fished wind ons and short FC to spectra. You can REALLY feel the big yellowtail shake Their heads On a short top shot FC to spectra. I did pull a few hooks because of this on the yellows.

Overall we had a great trip and everyone got one over 100lbs I believe. The biggest take aways for folks heading that way are be ready to use your drag and rod to pull hard and not be afraid to lose a fish. Fish the chunk bait!!! Most of the fish we lost could have been saved if folks would have pulled hard. Also leave the limp noodle rods at home, the Lupe isn’t the place for them. Please only kill/take what you need. We had some folks that fished hard but when it came time to check in with the processors were looking to give away a lot of fish. I brought home enough to fill two big coolers which was only 10 fish (5 YFT and 5 Yellows).

I was 5 weeks out from knee surgery and was pushing it to go but am glad I did. Took it easy and took breaks to ice but had a great trip and met some really good folks

F233541C-3D45-4AAF-A793-5B7B4E1027DB.jpeg

55A32199-D7CC-4BE1-9679-DDBD31BD2167.jpeg

84BFBCCE-C99F-457C-BEE5-570F3CA7A813.jpeg

7342E038-6A4E-4719-BD1F-77F5A8AA5AE9.jpeg

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
    Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat
    24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
    Sounds like a Great Trip! Bummer about the spool of bad spectra... A friend ordered some PowerPro off E-Bay, turned out to be counterfeit, 50# line broke at 25#...

Reactions: Yellowtail Dan
    Upvote 0

Baller

Jig Chucker
    Nov 16, 2010
    La Mesa
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    American Angler
    Nicely done sir..!!!

AA is the BEST imho...

Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

• Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    Way to go Dan.,,, great trip , great report..
    That terminator is the shit,!! Right??
    Good luck on you’re knee surgery..
    Thanks Jake, had it done on June 21st and it went well. This was the 3rd one on that knee so it’s almost on auto pilot now…..

You’re right, that GP Terminator is a beast of a rod for that length and weight. Putting a bend in it along with that reel helped me stop the second fish after a long hard run and finally get him turned around and straight up and down. Wish the spectra wouldn’t have broke because I would have loved to see how big it was. All of my UC rods really performed well with the UC 80 Terminator getting the most work with my Mak 10 and 50lb (Ray knows I pull hard so I only got the stink eye and not the lecture)

Thanks for the great set of rods, Brad and the guys were drooling on them

Last edited:
    themacs
    themacs
    You're right on Dan, The GP Terminator is the ticket. I'm bringing the one I got from Jake on my upcoming 8 day! Congrats, great trip!
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Great report and picts brother! Thoughts about the spectra.... I have witnessed.... even experienced "guide" failure.... when the line flowing through the "suspected" guide gets overheated...or abraded.

Small debris.... a tiny bit of rust /corrosion slowing the roller.... can cause excess heat weakening the spectra considerably. The tip and stripper guides are the biggest culprits. Because you did not change that reel to another...or another rod...its hard to tell. A "straight" break would tell the whole story.

Another concern.... who put that spectra on the reel? Have seen "daydreaming" store help.... burn the spectra (overheating it) while putting it on reels...."under waaaay to much tension". Just thoughts and questions attempting to prevent the same from happening again on a future trip. Good.luck.... but check ALL logical REASONS....you never know.

Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

• Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    Great report and picts brother! Thoughts about the spectra.... I have witnessed.... even experienced "guide" failure.... when the line flowing through the "suspected" guide gets overheated...or abraded.

Small debris.... a tiny bit of rust /corrosion slowing the roller.... can cause excess heat weakening the spectra considerably. The tip and stripper guides are the biggest culprits. Because you did not change that reel to another...or another rod...its hard to tell. A "straight" break would tell the whole story.

Another concern.... who put that spectra on the reel? Have seen "daydreaming" store help.... burn the spectra (overheating it) while putting it on reels...."under waaaay to much tension". Just thoughts and questions attempting to prevent the same from happening again on a future trip. Good.luck.... but check ALL logical REASONS....you never know.
    Yeah All legit thoughts but this is a brand new rod and brand new reel so everything was clean on those angles. If I had hooked a yellowtail I could have blamed it on running on a pinnacle or something but these were the only two fish hooked and both were tuna with the breaks happening at the same point in the fight. Straight up and down with me putting pressure on them.

Had the reel filled by Ken right before we left so I have complete confidence in how it was loaded. When I brought it in and dropped it off after the trip Ken was pretty unhappy about it and was going to look into it and his spool. The fact he had other reels out there filled off that spool is a very real concern for him. He’ll let me know and as he always has over the years take care of me

Shit happens and it was my trip for it. I said my “Fuck” at the rail when it happened and left it there and moved on.

FishRock
    FishRock
    " I said my “Fuck” at the rail when it happened and left it there and moved on."

Words to live by. :-)
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

marlyn

• Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    Great report,Any pics of the 61lb yellow?Thats a huge one!

Reactions: Yellowtail Dan
    Upvote 0

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
    Fresno, CA
    Name
    David Rouse
    Boat
    Long range fishing
    Dan.... great report brother.... was thinking you went to some shitty tackle store to have a kid load your spectra for his first go around... then I thought... you wouldn't do that... then when I read you went to Ken's and that happened Ken will find out what went wrong... Ken's place is top notch and he has filled lots of my reels with zero problems. Shit happens.. sorry ya lost that tuna. Leaving Saturday on a 6 day. Thanks for the great report.

Yellowtail Dan

• Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    Dan.... great report brother.... was thinking you went to some shitty tackle store to have a kid load your spectra for his first go around... then I thought... you wouldn't do that... then when I read you went to Ken's and that happened Ken will find out what went wrong... Ken's place is top notch and he has filled lots of my reels with zero problems. Shit happens.. sorry ya lost that tuna. Leaving Saturday on a 6 day. Thanks for the great report.
    Thanks David, Ken is as stand up and straight forward as they come and he knows his shit which is why I’ve been a long time customer. It was just one of those “sometimes you get the Bull, sometimes you get the horn” deals and I got the horns this time. I’ll get the bull in November.

Have a great trip, if you head to the Lupe don’t hesitate to fish the chunk and pull hard. Hopefully you catch a couple good size tuna with a 2/0 Ringed Charlie Brown stuck in their mouth trailing some FC and spectra

Upvote 0

cow man

Tuna addict
  • Aug 29, 2012
    Glide Or. 97443
    Name
    Jake Waardenburg
    Boat
    N/A
    Thanks Jake, had it done on June 21st and it went well. This was the 3rd one on that knee so it’s almost on auto pilot now…..

You’re right, that GP Terminator is a beast of a rod for that length and weight. Putting a bend in it along with that reel helped me stop the second fish after a long hard run and finally get him turned around and straight up and down. Wish the spectra wouldn’t have broke because I would have loved to see how big it was. All of my UC rods really performed well with the UC 80 Terminator getting the most work with my Mak 10 and 50lb (Ray knows I pull hard so I only got the stink eye and not the lecture)

Thanks for the great set of rods, Brad and the guys were drooling on them
    Man wish I could have been there!!

Upvote 0

strackle99

• Mar 20, 2008
    Villa Lepro, Baja
    Name
    Todd
    Boat
    The one on the fish
    Wow, a 61# YT is a tank. Some serious pulling needed not to get rocked there.

Upvote 0

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
    Fresno, CA
    Name
    David Rouse
    Boat
    Long range fishing
    Thanks David, Ken is as stand up and straight forward as they come and he knows his shit which is why I’ve been a long time customer. It was just one of those “sometimes you get the Bull, sometimes you get the horn” deals and I got the horns this time. I’ll get the bull in November.

Have a great trip, if you head to the Lupe don’t hesitate to fish the chunk and pull hard. Hopefully you catch a couple good size tuna with a 2/0 Ringed Charlie Brown stuck in their mouth trailing some FC and spectra
    Fishing the chunk what hook size and line should I go with.

Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

• Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    Fishing the chunk what hook size and line should I go with.
    I went with 80lb and a big J hook probably a 7-8/0 size. If you have a big circle with a swivel attached that would be great to. Just make sure to push the barb all the way through the skin so you get a good hook set

Upvote 0

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
    Fresno, CA
    Name
    David Rouse
    Boat
    Long range fishing
    I went with 80lb and a big J hook probably a 7-8/0 size. If you have a big circle with a swivel attached that would be great to. Just make sure to push the barb all the way through the skin so you get a good hook set
    Thanks brother.

Upvote 0

Latest posts