cow man

Tuna addict
Aug 29, 2012
Glide Or. 97443
Name
Jake Waardenburg
Boat
N/A
So since no one else is gonna do this, I’ll attempt a short report, and I mean short, I’m by no means a writer..
Our trip was run by Brian and Ryan as second with Rocco leading the crew , Peter in the galley with nick helping who by the way is a hell of a deck hand also . and of course Lori in the office who is the anchor of the operation..
We headed out early Sunday morning, first to the bait dock and man was that a good call, I Must say we had some of the best hook bait I’ve seen in a long time. Bought several 4/0 hooks before boarding and never used them once, 5/0 6/0 ‘s all the way!
Of course we had the usual boring 4 day boat ride with usual seminars and a lot of tackle prep. And a lot of bull shitting .. unbelievable beautiful weather on the ride down..
always good to catch up on the latest from everybody and get to know the new guys .
Fishermen are are always a interesting lot and tell some great tails.. especially when the booze starts flowing...
I write this because the last few years was tough fishing, although last year was some of the best wahoo fishing I remember the tuna fishing sucked!! In fact I made the decision that if tuna fishing was the same as in the last two years I was gonna make a change. I go on these trips to catch trophies and I can catch 50#ers on a lot shorter and cheaper trips..
Although we or I didn’t catch any monsters the fishing was as good as it gets for 50 to 165# and there were plenty of chances for bigger ones, what I love about these trips is every bait in the water is a chance at Something that will blow you’re mind!!
People ask me all the time which boat is best my answer is always the same, they’re all good, just find one you’re comfortable with and fit in on.. in my opinion there’s no other operation better run than on the AA , but I’ve fished most all of them and had a blast on them all!!
On this trip we had all the regulars which is why I go back every year we’re like family, a Disfunctional family but still family.. also 4 new to the group, mike from Washington who ended up with a beautiful 165# er that took the JP. Jay who came over from Ken custom Reels trip who schooled us on sardine fishing, and new comers Harvey from Arizona and JW from Florida who are now ruined for life.. 😆
One thing notable on this trip is how tough these fish were.. every one hooked was an ass kicker , I know I’m getting old , but man these fish were fun! I remember being run around the boat several times and being sure I had a cow on or at least a high 100’s and it came up maybe 110/120# s and not just me that went for everybody. .
I write this also because I know a lot of you were waiting to see what this year was going bring before making the commitment and also newcomers waiting to see if it’s worth it, but I gotta tell (Damn it) l gotta go again next year, 😝
On this trip it was some of the best/fun fishing I’ve had in a long time. If you’re on the fence about going on one of these trips. All I can say is we had easy limits on YFT . Let’s hope it continues...
What worked.
Kite fishing was hot and cold every one got a shot.
Bait fishing Sardines was the most consistent.
No fish on big baits or chunks or pl68’
Wahoo fishing
Of course them damn nomads 220’s except on mine .
Bombs in red worker well also green.
and the wahoo were slugs ; beautiful grade 30/50 #
Like I said I’m not a writer, forgive my grammar and spelling please.. I never did worth a shit in school .😝
Hope you get something out of this, at least it’s a report, which we don’t get a lot of lately...
So I say let’s go fishing!!!

Last edited:

Yellowtail Dan

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 10, 2006
Roseville Ca
Name
Dan
Boat
Excel, American Angler
Sounds like you had a good time Jake, thanks for taking the time and posting the report

Reactions: cow man

woodfish330

Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
Great report! ! Great boat, great crew, great skippers....good food, good weather, new friends, old friends, new tackle, old stand bys. ....excellent bait and some "shots" at fish other than 13" sand bass we get here in winter... lol. No wonder we sign up for these trips right? Being there through your eyes and retelling your experiences is icing on that cake brother. Thank you! :cheers: :rolleyes:

Reactions: ripped and cow man

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Thanks for the writeup Jake. Just signed up for 2021. Only 11 months and change to go! I have fished this trip since 2014 and only missed this year to take my wife to London for our 30th anniversary.

Like Jake said, anyone on the fence about this sort of trip should fall off the fence and sign up. Great boat, crew and group of anglers. No need to even have gear. The loaner equipment from the boat is good quality and pretty much sets itself up. You just show up, unplug from the world for 2 weeks and fish.

And all those 160 lbers. from this year will be cows next year! I gotta get back to checking my gear.

Last edited:

fshholc

Jul 18, 2005
Carlsbad, Ca
Name
Jay
Boat
sold
Great fishing with you Jake.
Other than Porpoise, boobies, needlefish and sharks it was excellent fishing and like you said those teenage fish do pull hard. Great fishing with this group of Anglers. If you're on the fence about going on a trip like this, jump on this trip next year. Great group of anglers, very skilled group who welcome newbies and the AA crew is first class.

Last edited:

woodfish330

Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
Some say the "super cows" pick their day to die. I agree with you.... The range of fish #150 to #250 are still schooled up somewhat and quite competitive when feeding. So they're already wound up because other fish could get THEIR dinner...If they're not there first. Fish larger than that only hang in smaller groups.... more spread out from each other. This makes it much less energy intensive when they do find food.... ie no "teenagers" to compete with. Some of the largest "Super cows" I've seen landed were quite lazy.... and got beat by an angler that outsmarted or out muscled it in stellar fashion. Seen a 307# "kamikaze" taken in less than 5 minutes. Yet I've personally been on fish under #150 for more than an hour...cause he was stubborn.

Give me multiple shots at a school of "teenagers".... Over 3 or 4 big fish for 25 guys anyday. More smiles. More stories. Maybe that's just the charter master in me. It makes your group tight. Like you guys!!

cow man

Tuna addict
Aug 29, 2012
Glide Or. 97443
Name
Jake Waardenburg
Boat
N/A
Great fishing with you Jake.
Other than Porpoise, boobies, needlefish and sharks it was excellent fishing and like you said those teenage fish do pull hard. Great fishing with this group of Anglers. If you're on the fence about going on a trip like this, jump on this trip next year. Great group of anglers, very skilled group who welcome newbies and the AA crew is first class.
Thanks Jay, pleasure sharing the rail with you.. hope we get to do it again soon!!

alan760

Dec 7, 2003
Encinitas, CA
Name
Alan
Boat
American Angler
I was on the trip before yours and everyone on my trip thought the same thing about the 90-100 lb tuna. They were mean tough SOBs and pulled harder than any us could remember for that grade of fish. The 93 lb I landed gave me just as tough battle as the cow I got last year using the same outfit. I thought it was just me but everyone was talking about how hard they pulled.

Our bait was mixed bag, we had one tank of good hook bait and rest were on the small side so we were fishing mostly 3/0- size mutus, some even smaller but I couldn't bring myself to fish anything small than a 3/0. Luckily my buddy had a stash of 3/0s. 100 lb rig was the go to outfit for most of the trip.

We had decent wahoo fishing throughout the trip but the majority were troll fish. Same grade as you mentioned, 30-50 lbs. When we did get a few to come under the boat, I seemed to be the guy that would hook a yellowfin that was mixed in with the wahoo. I lost 2 good skinnies, one never had the hook when it slammed a 6x heavy and line broke on the other that bit a shiny tady 4/0.

Really like the addition of deckhand Pat. Hope he sticks around. Excellent crewman. Kirk is also nice addition and experienced deckhand. Food was awesome too. Josh did a great job and somehow I only managed to gain 2 lbs. Already put $$ down for next year.

Last edited:

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Give me multiple shots at a school of "teenagers".... Over 3 or 4 big fish for 25 guys anyday. More smiles. More stories. Maybe that's just the charter master in me. It makes your group tight. Like you guys!!
This trip is limited to 18 anglers. Always room somewhere on the rail. Part of the fun is when we have 4 - 6 100+ lb. fish all hanging in the same corner and manage to land them all.

And before you start saying that the crew should not let a corner get that croweded, it is because everyone else is hooked up around the boat.

Reactions: GES and woodfish330

woodfish330

Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
Skilled anglers / friends working like "fingers on a hand"!!

Fishing with the same group allows you to know and observe each angler numerous times. Their strengths and weaknesses .... how they cast.... how they react and their personal fish fighting styles.

THAT guys on a constant "4 hour soak"... or he's ALWAYS fishing the bow. How about that guy...who's always on the WRONG side of the boat....line going underneath the hull. These are long range patrons....and we need them of course. Just takes more personal skill when hooked up...and looking down the rail to see.... (over of under)... who's next in the "tuna dance". At least they weren't all on the bow doing the "anchor tango".

Reactions: GES and cow man

GES

Nov 12, 2006
Simi Valley, Ca
Name
Galen Steward
Boat
I pay to ride
So since no one else is gonna do this, I’ll attempt a short report, and I mean short, I’m by no means a writer..
Our trip was run by Brian and Ryan as second with Rocco leading the crew , Peter in the galley with nick helping who by the way is a hell of a deck hand also . and of course Lori in the office who is the anchor of the operation..
We headed out early Sunday morning, first to the bait dock and man was that a good call, I Must say we had some of the best hook bait I’ve seen in a long time. Bought several 4/0 hooks before boarding and never used them once, 5/0 6/0 ‘s all the way!
Of course we had the usual boring 4 day boat ride with usual seminars and a lot of tackle prep. And a lot of bull shitting .. unbelievable beautiful weather on the ride down..
always good to catch up on the latest from everybody and get to know the new guys .
Fishermen are are always a interesting lot and tell some great tails.. especially when the booze starts flowing...
I write this because the last few years was tough fishing, although last year was some of the best wahoo fishing I remember the tuna fishing sucked!! In fact I made the decision that if tuna fishing was the same as in the last two years I was gonna make a change. I go on these trips to catch trophies and I can catch 50#ers on a lot shorter and cheaper trips..
Although we or I didn’t catch any monsters the fishing was as good as it gets for 50 to 165# and there were plenty of chances for bigger ones, what I love about these trips is every bait in the water is a chance at Something that will blow you’re mind!!
People ask me all the time which boat is best my answer is always the same, they’re all good, just find one you’re comfortable with and fit in on.. in my opinion there’s no other operation better run than on the AA , but I’ve fished most all of them and had a blast on them all!!
On this trip we had all the regulars which is why I go back every year we’re like family, a Disfunctional family but still family.. also 4 new to the group, mike from Washington who ended up with a beautiful 165# er that took the JP. Jay who came over from Ken custom Reels trip who schooled us on sardine fishing, and new comers Harvey from Arizona and JW from Florida who are now ruined for life.. 😆
One thing notable on this trip is how tough these fish were.. every one hooked was an ass kicker , I know I’m getting old , but man these fish were fun! I remember being run around the boat several times and being sure I had a cow on or at least a high 100’s and it came up maybe 110/120# s and not just me that went for everybody. .
I write this also because I know a lot of you were waiting to see what this year was going bring before making the commitment and also newcomers waiting to see if it’s worth it, but I gotta tell (Damn it) l gotta go again next year, 😝
On this trip it was some of the best/fun fishing I’ve had in a long time. If you’re on the fence about going on one of these trips. All I can say is we had easy limits on YFT . Let’s hope it continues...
What worked.
Kite fishing was hot and cold every one got a shot.
Bait fishing Sardines was the most consistent.
No fish on big baits or chunks or pl68’
Wahoo fishing
Of course them damn nomads 220’s except on mine .
Bombs in red worker well also green.
and the wahoo were slugs ; beautiful grade 30/50 #
Like I said I’m not a writer, forgive my grammar and spelling please.. I never did worth a shit in school .😝
Hope you get something out of this, at least it’s a report, which we don’t get a lot of lately...
So I say let’s go fishing!!!
Thanks for the nice report Jake.
It’s a pleasure fishing with you, and my deposit is already down for next year!
I’ve already got my All Pink Nomad 220 for those nice Wahoo. If we have beautiful bait again I’ll be stepping up in hook size- Damn, we had too many pulled hooks.
Folks, we’ve added one more day to this trip next year to find the big ones. Let’s go get em! 👍🎣😎

Attachments

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Thanks for the nice report Jake.
It’s a pleasure fishing with you, and my deposit is already down for next year!
I’ve already got my All Pink Nomad 220 for those nice Wahoo. If we have beautiful bait again I’ll be stepping up in hook size- Damn, we had too many pulled hooks.
Folks, we’ve added one more day to this trip next year to find the big ones. Let’s go get em! 👍🎣😎
Yeah, my deposit is also in, and I'll be ordering a Pink Nomad shortly, but let's not tell everyone about it ok? It's sort of a secret and we don't want to hype that color too much.

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Wtg boyz.

Pink titty :boobies::Rambo_Throwing_Kniv as FL calls it

On the slide. I catch juvenile yft when I over cast. The juvenile yft stay outside the Wahoo, can be common

The big fish seem to cycle back in from the deep edge every few days back into the hb shallows or lb. To play cat and mouse. Adding a day is smart

Enjoy your next trip again all

Breaking free of the 2 week vacation allowance

Reactions: cow man and GES