American Angler 1/10-24

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Steve K, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    An Accurate sponsored trip, can't say enough good stuff about Gary Teraoka and all that he brings to the table. Not just the swag and the loaner tackle. Advice, take it or leave it, and ready and willing to help anybody with connections. I missed it for the last two years: '14 shoulder surgery, '15 trip to Australia. So, needless to say, I had been looking forward to this one for a long time. Very popular trip, many of the guys book up for the next year the day we get back. Also from Bishop on this trip are Pat Patrykus, Sr and Jr. Sr accounted for the 349 lb fatty in '13.

Upon arrival in Sandy Eggo, I went to Joe's house and we headed out for dinner. Ran into Jason from the Islander and Shane, too. Up and at it early on the 9th to see the Intrepid unload, an interesting catch, and also a nice load of tuna and Wahoo from Royal Star. Dave was there with a good pile, he fished well. Eventually back to Joe's for the Saturday NFL games and an early dinner. Up again at 4:00 to get down to Point Loma to get in line for boarding.Since is was not a turnaround day, we were able to get an early start. After we had all checked in, lines were cast off around 8:00 and we headed for the receivers for a good load of healthy, large Sardines. Crazy encounter on the floating docks there with a very aggressive Sea Lion. He actually jumped on the dock and into the receiver! He came at some of the guys. Hope DFW figures out a management plan for that bastard before somebody gets hurt. Clear of the point by 10:00. Josh and James in the galley served up a nice lunch buffet of rolls, cold cuts and sliced cheeses. James is an excellent addition to the crew of the Angler, nice salads and snacks, very personable kid. With Brian as skipper and the crew of Andrew, David, Matt and Justin, we're stylin'.

Travel days were taken up with rigging up topshots for tuna and then putting them on the reels, rods on reels and then checking drags and settling on hooks or maybe a jig. I asked the crew for advice on rigging the knock off Fall Flat jigs and we settled on 9/0 J hooks and 325 lb wire and they also rigged one of my Yo-Zuri Bonitas, same stuff. Rigs that I set up in anticipation of what I had seen before at Clarion included 7 for tuna, 3 for Wahoo and one for making bait. I had access to some great gear to borrow from a friend up in Mammoth and took advantage of that. 3 Accurate reels and 3 rods that I had built for him. I set up the Kite outfit, an ATD50W with a 200 lb mono topshot on a Super Seeker 6463XXXXH, and made up a couple of Double Trouble leaders to go with it. The other end of the tackle was a Penn 30S with a 100 lb mono topshot on a Seeker Black Steel 6463XXH for Wahoo trolling. In six and a half days of fishing, my team, #4 did not get a trolling rotation and I got on the kite once.

A Penn fathom on a 40 lb Black Steel rod was used for bait making and a couple of reels were set to 6465H and 6465XH rods for tossing bombs and jigs at the skinnies. Caught some bait, and threw the jigs and bombs at the Wahoo stops for nada. I think we had only half a dozen Wahoo, kind of a letdown. But, this is the Super Bowl of fishing for the San Diego Long Range fleet, and we really are after Giant Yellowfin Tuna. With 3 50 sized reels, an Accurate ATD50T, an Avet 50SDS and a Penn 50S, topshotted with 130 lb Seaguar Premier, 135 lb mono and 150 lb Seaguar Blue Label on Calstar 770XXH, Super Seeker 6463XXXH and 6463XXXXH rods. Fish flyline, sinker or balloon with the ATD50, chunk or jig with the 50SDS, and Jig or Salami with the 50S. Rounding things out, an Accurate ATD30T and an Avet EX30W topshotted with 130 lb Premier on another 770XXXH and a Two by Four for flyline or sinker fishing.

What did I use, all of it. What did I catch my fish on? All of my tuna came on the flyline, ATD30 rig except for one on the kite. And of course, we caught Salamis and Tubes with the bait making outfit. Why, then, so many rigs for tuna? I experienced a severe train wreck on my last trip on the morning of my last trip in 2013 and went through 4 outfits, (Shark, spectra broke, topshot failed, another shark) and 2 hook and hand jobs in less than an hour. Still, I only took ten rods and eleven reels, including a backup reel for Wahoo jigs.

Revised tackle list for next year, deposit paid, leave the kite and trolling outfits at home.

Traveled down in good weather, stopping briefly at the Stones for a look at the Wahoo, and arrived the morning of the 14th. Brian got us set up near the Rooster and Tim on Royal Star soon would join us. So it begins.....

Timmo, Joda, vegasandre and 5 others like this.
  2. Steve K

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    1/14 Day One at Clarion. A familiar routine began with us fishing tuna in the morning, working through a mid day lull and back at it hard at sundown. Some days we would go out in pursuit of Wahoo, but not everyday, although it's a good way to break things up. In looking back, we must have stared on the bait grounds with some Salamis, a few of which we fished at grey light resulting in a massive tangle. After that got sorted out, I went to work with lighter gear and Sardines. As the Salamis began to die, they were cut up for chunk.The guys had rigged the kill box by plugging drain holes and running a hose that worked ok for a while with the Salamis. I started out on a good pace, flylining while most of the guys went with a rubber banded 2 oz torpedo sinker. Mine went 145 and we ended the day with 14 tuna, one cow. We got word of the Super Cow on Royal Star, 336. Damn fish had a little of everything in it's belly including Salami chunks. Royal Star had no Salamis, so the bastard had been in our chunk line. Nice one, and word followed that the angler had been fishing deep with a 12 oz weight. Meter marks were consistently around 35 fathoms.

End of the fishing day and we're off to the bait grounds. Switching it up, we'll fish for tubes. Totally different set up, tiny hooks, 2 oz weights. Soft mouths on these little guys, you would lose more than you would get. They would fall off on the way up, at the surface, etc. In addition to the woes of losing them off the hooks, we're battling some very aggressive porpoise. These sons of bitches have decided to help themselves to the baits on the six hook light line bait rigs and wreak havoc on us. Chewed up bait rigs and lost sinkers are the norm. Sometimes they would back off, sometimes, not so much. They also swam around the boat going after any Flying Fish we saw, making it impossible for the crew to scoop flyers. Any way, we eventually managed a tank of them, excellent kite baits and good on the flyline or sinker rigs as well.

1/15 Day Two, same deal. I managed a 167 and later one about 100, both on the Sardine. I was getting ready to pin on a bait just before the 167, two Dines in the handwell. One, the bigger of the two, looked like Christmas, Green and Red. The other, a smaller bait but very lively is what got me the bite on a quick sprint away from the boat about 50 yards out. We finished with about 25 fish, repeated dinner and bait making.

1/16 Day Three, and we're back at it. Although the Kite has been slow for some rotations, this morning they decided to eat it full speed! I'm #16 and will doubtless get a shot on the kite today.Double Trouble rigs with Tubes accounted for 4 or 5 and then I got my shot just in time for the bite to shut off. Nice! Two hours in jail and Brian decided to pull the hook and poke around for Wahoo. I'm bailed out temporarily and we fished an hour or so for no love from the skin, then back to the spot. There had been a few flyers over the rail the night before and one was still swimming in the tank. Big one and Andrew said, cut off your double trouble leader and tie on one with a 9/0 7691. I was out maybe fifteen minutes before I got boiled on. I wound down on it, popped it out of the clip and had it to the boat in less that ten minutes. Nice little 120 lb fish, easy to manage with the big gear. I think I added a couple more this day like 25 lbs and 50 lbs.

1/17-20 I didn't keep any notes, but of course remember the nice ones I caught as I had been messaging back and forth with a friend so I have something to look at there. Please check the reports on the American Angler website for details and standout catches for the second half of our fishing days at the island. By the morning of the 18th, we had tagged about 100 tuna, 80 of them over 100 with 13 cows and about that many between 165 and 195.

I didn't see a gaff or tag a fish for the last three and a half days of the trip.

Decided to get scientific about the whole thing and see if I could target one of those fish that were showing on the up and down fathometer at 35 fathoms. I used marked line, using the length of the boat to measure. 90 feet (15 fathoms) one mark with the Sharpie, 180 feet (30 fathoms) two marks. Presenting a tube and then Sardines with an 8 oz weight, I worked that water column up and down between 30 and 40 fathoms for no biters. I also took a measured approach to fishing jigs, both glow PL-68 and 7X Jr as well as a Blue Chrome/Glow Back Tady 4/0 and the Fall Flat jigs, with no results.

I was taking a break from it, enjoying a cocktail on the upper deck and watching the guys who seemed to have the hot hand. Reminded myself of the first trip we did with this bunch, back in 2011. Only an 11 day, we had a lot less time to fish. It was my 3rd trip to the lower zone. On the last evening of travel, one of the guys who was new this type of fishing asked me what he could expect. I answered that any time you can catch a tuna over 100 lbs, that's a good trip. Taking my own advice and knowing that some anglers have fished 20 years of so without catching a cow, I reflected on how fortunate I was to be able to have a chance at these magnificent creatures and how good my life is.

Later, what worked for me and what did not. Attached pic is of the 167 from day two. Nice fish, a real athlete.

Attached Files:

• 167.jpe
      167.jpe
      File size:
      30.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  3. fishordie

fishordie I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jamie
    Boat:
    2013 Ranger Z521 with 250 Merc.: Now deceased.. Thank goodness
    Great report Steve,

I liked the reference to trying the analytical approach regardless if the attempt did not result in a big hit. The fact you used all the means at your disposal on this trip and undoubtedly will do the same in the future gives you, the aware angler, the best shot at getting bit... Well done.

Jamie

Steve K likes this.
  4. jiggyn

jiggyn Do you even fish?

Name:
    Jerr
    Boat:
    That boat!
    Thanks for the read

5. Pangamaster

Pangamaster Cow Town Here I come!

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
    Nice report Steve! It was nice seeing you at the end of my trip. Sounds like you had another successful trip. Yeah those dang tubes...i got triple...now its a double...damn it they all fell off! Try again....

The 30 size reels were the ticket on my trip as well.

I agree with you...leaving the Kite rig at home...but I am taking my trolling rig..I like trolling for a chance at Wahoo and I like using my good luck Tony the Tiger....and I don't want to use my 'Go To' cow rigs for trolling.

Congrats on a great trip and thanks for sharing.

Steve K likes this.
  6. MikeyLikesIt

MikeyLikesIt did you say F I S H I N G ???

Name:
    starts with an "M".....
    Boat:
    #1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
    :appl: THANK YOU for the great report, Steve. I've got to get on one of those trips......someday. :D

Steve K likes this.
  7. Steve K

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Mike, let's do it!

8. Luke

Luke Uses alot of bait!

Name:
    Luke
    Boat:
    none
    Very insightful from a skillful angler.....thanx. We all learned a thing or two.

9. DMcD

DMcD Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dennis McDougall
    Boat:
    None
    Nice report, Steve. Thanks...I'm looking forward to the next installment. Just curious...regarding the 336 caught on the Star that you figure was in your chunk line at some point...how far away was the Star from you guys?

10. Baller

Baller Jig Chucker

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    American Angler
    Great read Steve..!!! Thanks for sharing...

11. Steve K

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Tackle and techniques. I pretty much used it all. Won't discuss Wahoo as it just didn't happen for us. The quest was for big tuna, and we stayed the entire trip at Clarion, fishing the Buffer Zone. Kite was painfully slow at times with guys in jail for an entire day. We only made it through one and a half kite rotations and we only had 19 anglers. Kohei had been up in the afternoon on the day before and many hours on the 19th before that 300 slurped down his baits.

Crazy story: Finally on the deck after a 4 gaff job by the crew, one of the legs of the double trouble leader was seen to be broken about six inches outside the fish's mouth. Luckily the other hook was set as well, in the skin of the fish about a foot from the tail! Almost impossible. Try dragging a circle hook across your arm or leg for a while and see if you can get it to catch.

This one had a different set of goodies in its stomach. Clearly it had been down at the depths, probably one of those deep marks we saw on the fathometer. He was full of some sort of crustaceans, could tell if it was Red Crab, but definitely not fin fish. Deep scattering layer is something we hear about. Also saw a bunch of tiny squid in its belly. Hardly any Sardines.

I used a VMC Dynamic 6/0 hook with my flyline outfit. Only once and very briefly did I fish a topshot of 100 lb Premier and that with a 5/0. It got stuck on the anchor line with a slack current and I had to get it unstuck. Should have cut it at the spectra connection where I had spliced its tag end to the spectra on my reel, but instead, Kambiz with his gloved hands was able to break the line at the hook. By then, the line was all stretched out and the connection distorted so I just tossed it in the trash. I chose a San Diego knot, pulling the tag end back to barrel up the knot and leaving a small loop as suggested to me by Bill W. He uses the Uni but I had good results with the San Diego. My first two fish came on a hot bait, first run away from the boat. Back hooked Sardines was what I used although many of the guys were butt hooking, even tail hooking their baits and although I had heard the advice of one or two savvy anglers steering me away from tail hooking of course some of the guys were effective. The presentation of the sinker fished Sardine is always done by nose hooking although some guys tried the butt hook. Doesn't work for me. Three or four days into it, we had the most horrendous conditions as what little current we had enjoyed fell flat on its face. Brian suggested the bobber balloon as a means to get the bait away from the boat with wind against the current. I gave it a shot, nose hooked a Dine and sent it out on its merry way. ATD50T, 130 lb Premier on a 770XXXH. Then it became rather popular and we had four or five balloons. Mine somehow kept fouling up the others, and I got messed up with Dale, brought his in withing 20 yards of the stern and it went back out again without changing the bait. Later, but not too much later, whoosh and it was game on. Noted: fresh lively bait not a factor on the balloon.

As I said previously, I used every outfit I brought. Devoted an hour to the chunk one morning, (SDS50, mono) tossing chunks every 30 seconds or so for five minutes and then dropped in. I must have dumped 100 chunks, too many, not spaced fir enough apart, not really sure. I soaked a half dozen chunks for no results. I did fish a Salami one morning (50S 150 lb fluoro)but got all tangled up. In the dark into the grey light as the sun was coming up, out on the fishing grounds, the same marauding gang of porpoise that had harassed us while making bait, would pick our baits. Great, kind of messed up the morning fishing as they made it very frustrating trying to get a bait out to a tuna. Fished a variety of weights rubber banded to the line on the EX30W/2x4 and just couldn't get into it, preferring and going back to the flyline.

Ended with the half a dozen tuna, four over 100. Plenty for me as I donated them to the church. Bishop United Methodist Church has a soup kitchen and serves 80-100 people lunch 3 days a week. Similar to the charities that participate in the Fish - Food - Feel Good program f3g.org the church pays a slightly reduced fee for the processing. Thanks also to Pat Sr as he donated 100 lbs of fish as well. With their freezer now well stocked and a couple more ice chests in a commercial freezer in town, they'll be eating well for a while. We're going to the Lions Club meeting on the 4th to see if they can help fund the processing fees, all or part of it.

One evening as we had put away the bait rigs after loading the deck tank with tubes, some baby turtles were spotted, swimming along behind the boat. Cute little guys had just hatched and begun their arduous battle for survival.

Attached Files:

• t1.jpe
      t1.jpe
      File size:
      31.9 KB
      Views:
    • t6.jpe
      t6.jpe
      File size:
      34.6 KB
      Views:
    Pangamaster and fishordie like this.
  12. Steve K

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    We had pulled the hook that morning and gone out looking for Wahoo when that big boy was caught. But we were near each other before that. It was the first day and we both had to go check in. They went back to tuna fishing, we tried our hand at the skinnies.

13. vegasandre

vegasandre I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Andre
    Boat:
    Any Boat that I can go on
    thanks Steve for the great report and even better technique lowdown.
    Looks like it was a decent fun trip. I know that the weather at the HB was snotty.

When you tried to Chunk, was any crew working a chum line? It usually needs to be established for awhile and kept up consistently for it to produce effectively.

Glad you rebooked for next year, Time will go fast.

14. hilltop

hilltop lurking in the shallows

Name:
    hilltop
    Boat:
    sold, pangas, Intrepid, and diggin the RRIII
    Good report Steve, glad you had fun and got some NICE sized YFT, I still haven't gotten a good one on a kite, I keep missing out haha, but there's always next time right? You were blessed with a good vacation, KUDOS!

15. titan05

titan05 Pelagic Terminator

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Chelsea Rae
    Great Report but I gotta ask...........
    How was the G & T ;)

sorry the iron elbow wasn't there for you this year

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  16. Steve K

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Didn't quite get through the handle. Ran out of tonic. Iron Elbow would have probably taken care of that. Lots of wine every night at dinner. I pick up my Liver at the Dry Cleaners this afternoon. ;)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
    DMcD likes this.
  17. screamingreel

screamingreel Long Range Fanatic

Name:
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat:
    Long Range and Private
    Sounds like you enjoyed your trip, Steve! The American Angler is a great operation and fun boat to fish. Thanks for the report!

- Jeff Burroughs

18. Steve K

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    He got me started, counting for the interval between dropping in the chunks, how to pin on one and where and how to drop in. As long as I was there, dropping chunks, no need for a crew member. It doesn't happen very often, but sometimes when the deck is loaded with fish that need to be gillled and gutted, they even stop flying the kites. Better to take care of your catch and your anglers that are fighting fish. And, no other boat takes better care of the catch than the Angler. I understand Royal Star is excellent and that Shogun has remodeled and revised their RSW tanks and are producing some great fish as well.

Bill W likes this.
  19. picasso

picasso Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    joe
    Boat:
    17 Boston Whaler
    A template for how to write a trip report.
    Observations and details that benefit anyone taking,
    or considering a long range journey.
    Sticky worthy.

20. Steve K

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Thanks. I don't have what it takes to write the way you do.
    I subscribe to the theory that a report can be like a woman's skirt....

Long enough to cover the subject, but short enough to be interesting. ;)

Bill W and jer dog like this.