Am I paying too much? Or not enough?

Ghecs13

Oct 21, 2020
Santa Ana CA
Name
Hector Guerrero
Boat
Yes
First time getting some rods wrapped. Buddy told me he was going directly to calstar to get the blanks. An 8 foot for my girlfriend and a 10 foot for myself (not sure what the specific model numbers are). He’s charging me 300$ For each. He’s gonna pick them up and wrap them. I’ve never gotten a rod wrapped so I want to make sure he’s not charging me less than it really is (or more). That being said I know custom jobs fluctuate in price depending on what you want but I’m pretty basic I like black lol. Let me know what you think
TIA

Upvote 0

Hismosa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Oct 15, 2016
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Glenn
    Boat
    Boats n hoes
    Hard to say without knowing what hardware and blank. Deckhand rod?

But with a simple all black rod it should be on the lower end regardless

Reactions: kevina

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
    Jul 15, 2005
    Poway Ca
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    No Boat Now
    well it also depends on the cost of blank, guides, reel seat and front & rear grips he is using to build the rod and then the the wrapping supplies and labor that determines the cost of the complete finished rod...

I generally charge 125.00 to 175.00 for labor plus parts and supplies.

Last edited:

bob1825

• Apr 11, 2007
    San Fernando Valley
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Anyone the fits my schedule
    I pay $200 for labor alone so I'd say you're getting a heck of a deal. If he's new to wrapping maybe he wants the practice.

Ghecs13

Oct 21, 2020
    Santa Ana CA
    Name
    Hector Guerrero
    Boat
    Yes
    I pay $200 for labor alone so I'd say you're getting a heck of a deal. If he's new to wrapping maybe he wants the practice.
    So here’s the thing he’s been a deckhand since early 90s saw his rods on a trip and I liked them and asked about where he got them wrapped and he said he did it himself and he’s been doing it. We became friends and then he said if I want a rod wrapped let him know he’s got buddies at calstar that he can buy blanks from so here we are lol. I checked his rods and really liked the work.

Reactions: marlyn

FlatPack

Online Angler
    Sep 22, 2016
    City of Angels
    Name
    Rexor
    Boat
    "CATTLE BOAT"
    $300 for a Calstar blank with Parts & Labor seems Fair & Reasonable to me....my United Composites GP blanks cost $160-$200 alone and labor & parts between $180-$300 depending on the Custom Wrapper’s reputation.

Last edited:
    Reactions: kayakbeast33

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
    Mar 27, 2013
    Alaska
    Name
    JAM
    Boat
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    If he is your buddy then he will give you a good deal.

If you have to ask, he might not be your buddy.

lasparky11

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Mar 7, 2008
    Ontario, CA USA
    Name
    Gene
    Boat
    X-wife she's so fat she floats
    Could be he is getting the rod pre-built at wholesale so all he has to do is wrap the guides. Either way, it's a good deal.

Reactions: Ghecs13

mike mitchell

Jul 25, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Michael Mitchell
    Boat
    20 Bertram
    Since it is such a good deal will he get them done when he promised them? Hope it all works out for everyone.

Ghecs13

Oct 21, 2020
    Santa Ana CA
    Name
    Hector Guerrero
    Boat
    Yes
    If he is your buddy then he will give you a good deal.

If you have to ask, he might not be your
    I feel that lol. But we were fishing and I have my gf fishing a lexa 400 but the rod I have it on is an old 7 foot okuma and we were talking about rods and jokingly he said “gotta get her a real rod” and i agreed. we kept talking and that’s when he offered to build hers and I told him I wanted a 10 footer either calstar or seeker and that’s when we talked details a bit

Reactions: FishRock

Ghecs13

Oct 21, 2020
    Santa Ana CA
    Name
    Hector Guerrero
    Boat
    Yes
    Update: he called me earlier to tell me that when he went to calstar they told him they’re back ordered on the 10 foot sticks so he wanted to see if a seeker ulua blank was cool for 100$ more (blank is 200$) been wanting an ulua so I said yes. And he told me he was gonna get started on them today

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
    Jul 15, 2005
    Poway Ca
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    No Boat Now
    Hope your friend and rod builder don't read this and get upset that you checking prices on him...

Ghecs13

Oct 21, 2020
    Santa Ana CA
    Name
    Hector Guerrero
    Boat
    Yes
    Hope your friend and rod builder don't read this and get upset that you checking prices on him...
    I was checking cause in all honesty 300$ each seemed cheap to me so I wanted to make sure he was getting paid right and it’s my first custom rod so I didn’t really know what to expect. The times we’ve talked I always tell him “let me know if I owe you more”

Reactions: FishRock and gecsr1

broton

Dec 23, 2004
    San Clemente
    Name
    KC
    Boat
    23 Cobra Performance
    I just wrapped a UC90 Mega for my buddy, $315 all in. I enjoy wrapping and hook my friends up. Gives me something to do in the off-season. But for sure, I don’t commit to a time frame, that is my one caveat.

Ghecs13

Oct 21, 2020
    Santa Ana CA
    Name
    Hector Guerrero
    Boat
    Yes
    I just wrapped a UC90 Mega for my buddy, $315 all in. I enjoy wrapping and hook my friends up. Gives me something to do in the off-season. But for sure, I don’t commit to a time frame, that is my one caveat.
    Yea I figured he’s doing me the favor and hooking me up I don’t want to rush him and I have other rods to use. Don’t think the fish care which rod I’m using anyway.