Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
Evening gentlemen,

I have a 1986 MerCruiser 470 engine in good working condition. I believe only 4-500 hours. I am pulling it running out of a boat and a guy offered me $300. Is that a bad deal?

The pictures make it look bad but it's actually mostly just dusty. It's been in a barn for a while.

Thanks in advance.

15864882430257039676339541547799.jpg
15864882665886875944970662208041.jpg

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
What all are you giving with it? Why are you pulling it? If it’s complete with all exhaust, intake and accessories.... well... that’s a
Pretty smoken deal for $300.00

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
What all are you giving with it? Why are you pulling it? If it’s complete with all exhaust, intake and accessories.... well... that’s a
Pretty smoken deal for $300.00
Everything is going with it. Literally a complete running engine with all the accessories. He didn't ask about it but I'd throw in the out drive as well. It's all coming out.

Thanks and Keep Chargin'
Andre

Reactions: Sammy Hooker

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
Everything is going with it. Literally a complete running engine with all the accessories. He didn't ask about it but I'd throw in the out drive as well. It's all coming out.

Thanks and Keep Chargin'
Andre
Screwed is a Subjective term, but he is getting a good deal.... Flip side is... how many buyers looking for a big has inboard.....

I’d try for more, but... if you’re ready to move on don’t split hairs about a Few Hundred bucks..

Reactions: Hard Chargin'

Salmon King

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 29, 2013
Everett, WA, USA
Name
Tim
Boat
Salmon King 21' Custom Pilothouse
How many buyers are there for an 86 engine?

I’d counter with 500 and settle at 400. I don’t think it was giving you a lot of value and he can put it to good use.

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
Ok. We all have the same train of thought. I would rather it go see use and get someone on the water than sit in my barn.

I was wanted to check and see if maybe I was tossing something more desirable than I thought. If $2000 was the going rate I might try and haggle but if it's really just a $500 setup I'm not gonna complain at all.

Thanks

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
Nov 2, 2017
Covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
That’s only worth something to the right guy. Those are some of the least desireable I/Os and I/Os are not very desireable. Are you able to test run it for him? Are you able to sea trial it for him? Both of these things would increase its value. A dusty unknown motor isn’t worth much and anyone looking for one likely is on a tight budget.

That being said, he’s getting a lot for his money of it is a turn key motor that will last but can you prove it to him?

jonnyboy852

Jul 3, 2009
Seattle
Name
Jon
Boat
282 Sailfish GW
I had a 470 In one of my previous boats they are a piece of shit. I completely rebuilt the motor I know alot about those motors. Some of them came with a cast Aluminum exhaust manifold. The aluminum ones are worth some money if they're in decent condition you could probably get 350 to 400 just for it. But these things are worth only what someone is willing to pay for it. And I'm sure you will not find a lot of willing buyers.

Fish_on!

Feb 17, 2015
Oly
Name
Ben
Boat
18' Super Vee
More important than an extra few dollars out of it... let’s see the new boat!

Reactions: Scootinthunder

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
I wouldn't hesitate or even try to get more or you may end up stuck with a heavy piece of trash to throw away.

Woodhunter

Jun 12, 2011
Port Angeles, WA
Name
Big John
Boat
Classic MAKO 22
When the 1997 Mercury Offshore 200 hp two stroker was pulled off my boat 2 months ago, it was placed on a pallet and off to the junkyard. Still ran.

I was glad to see it go and would have paid for the junker to take it. No way would I have tried to sell it!

This sums up my opinion on old Mercury motors.

So if the guy is willing to give you $300 just smile and give him a case of beer for taking it.

Reel Hooker

“Ice Melter”
Sep 9, 2013
Carnation
www.metropolitandetail.com
Name
Benjamin
Boat
Parker 2320 Long Cabin 'REEL HOOKER'
When the 1997 Mercury Offshore 200 hp two stroker was pulled off my boat 2 months ago, it was placed on a pallet and off to the junkyard. Still ran.

I was glad to see it go and would have paid for the junker to take it. No way would I have tried to sell it!

This sums up my opinion on old Mercury motors.

So if the guy is willing to give you $300 just smile and give him a case of beer for taking it.

i agree, although in this case I would keep the beer and drink it watching the motor leave with some silly mofo taking it....might be a memorable moment worth a drink

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
Thanks guys. It seems like the consensus is unanimous. I'll just take whatever he will give me.

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
Thanks guys. It seems like the consensus is unanimous. I'll just take whatever he will give me.
hurry if he reads this thread you'll have to give him the beer to take it