Am I Acting Weird?

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by cortezpirasea, Jul 25, 2016.

1. cortezpirasea

cortezpirasea Pangero

Name:
    Russell
    Boat:
    21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
    I have just become fed up with taking people out on the boat... I was never really this bummed out about it. I would notice the trash they leave. How they smash their poles all over the boat. Weights and hooks and line left laying around. As soon as the boat hits the dock they scuttle off leaving boat unattended. I could go on and on... I have lost patience. And when I say something of the smallest effort required of "them" they act like little spoiled children... Money... forgetaboutit. It's ruined it for me to a certain degree.

10716137_805880816142609_1657334358_n.jpg

2. C-4 Fishing

C-4 Fishing Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Kayak
    That sucks bud
    You need to change the pool you pick people from.
    There are good boat hoes out there

Dat Diep, MJB, slapazz and 1 other person like this.
  3. Kareem Korn

Kareem Korn Muffin Monster

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    Longboard, 15' Calibogie ("Bogart")
    There are some really great people I've met on here over the years that you'd be happy to fish with.
    As far as gas......lookit my tag line.
    My Boat Don't run on "Thanks".
    The brother p touch sticker verson of it next to your gas cap helps sometimes :)

cortezpirasea likes this.
  4. watersdeep

watersdeep I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jed Venture
    Boat:
    the twisted ducker
    Think they will get the hint?

5. stairman

stairman ......

Name:
    doug
    Boat:
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    some people are just users....if you keep inviting them you either have to put up with their behavior and smile or learn to make sure they know their expectations....and then stop inviting them.I had a friend I fished with for years and the sob just got cheaper and cheaper...no hooks no sabikis no money for gas and oil refused to learn to filet a fish....nickled and dimed me to death to the point where I had to blow up because I smiled and put up with it and I was the bad guy when I did.Final straw eventually happens...like c-4 said...find new fishing friends

6. titos334

titos334 VIP Elite Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Rainbow Surprise
    That sucks. There are definitely better people out there. As long as you're upfront and vocal about your expectations throughout the day then you're not crazy they're just assholes for signing up for something they weren't down for.

7. esgeo

esgeo Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    nope
    What if there was an Airbnb like rating system on bd where you could rate and/or leave comments about your ho or skipper? It wouldn't have to be public but could be accessed by the prospective ho or skipper with the permission of the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. spize909

spize909 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jeff
    Boat:
    no
    find new fishing friends........

9. tresbien

tresbien No.... But Willing To Learn

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    18' CC Holiday (RIP 1999)
    i don't think so
    the advice others gave is spot on
    hope you find new peeps who understand that the boat don't clean itself and gas aint free

10. MYNomad

MYNomad Heading South

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Yes
    A lot of people are clueless. Whenever I bring a new person on the boat, I let them know my expectations, and I tell them that this is alot to know so don't feel bad if I remind them of the rules. That said, I have had a few guys on that slam hatches, hit the boat with sinkers, drag stuff across the teak, put stuff on the gunwale has they are loading and run the dinghy into the back of the boat. And when I call them on it, the response is sorry with a little attitude like I am making a big deal about nothing. Those people don't get invited back.
    On the other hand, the good ones keep an eye on things and help others learn what to do. Just a matter of finding the right person.
    For what its worth, I have notice that people who don't care for the boat generally keep shit in their cars and the houses a mess.

11. bajabum

bajabum Pedo Viejo

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    23 striper WAC 24 skipjack open 15 fisher 19 proline
    Guess I'm spoiled. My crew shows up with ice, pays for parking, spends time in the tower glassing, scrubs the boat, filets the fish, and split all expenses, some pay all of it. And tolerate me. And no you can't have their number

12. Shewillbemine

Shewillbemine "should of" is NOT a thing

Name:
    Shewillbemine
    Boat:
    Chips N Guac
    I hear ya. Hence, most of my fishing is done alone.

I only bring friends and family onboard my boat. I ain't got no love for these hoes.

13. yellowfish26

yellowfish26 Totally Nude 24/7

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    26ft Seaswirl. The Big Chorizo
    If you take folks off the street then you are basically running an open party charter boat without a potential profit to offset their bullshit. I quit doing that a long time ago. I won't take anyone that I haven't met before and most likely not someone who hasnt been vouched for by someone from my established "inner circle". You can't fully know who they really are and being confined in a small space with some of them will force you to find out quickly. I have found the best indicator of respect for property on short notice is take a look at the state of their vehicle. Doesn't have to be new, but not a dirty POS. Also gauge if they are looking for someone to take them fishing instead of being a part of the days process. And always let the new guys know what your process is firmly and in no uncertain terms BEFORE they ever step on your boat

14. Arima-bob

Arima-bob Ship faced aquaholic

Name:
    Beeulzebob
    Boat:
    uh....
    I, like many others require a certain amount duty and respect. Most of the guys I have taken out meet that, and some even exceed expectations. If they don't cut it, they don't get called back. I don't mind giving reference to anyone I have fished with. If someone has been on my boat more than once, I like them enough. That said, I gave a couple guys that have only been with me once, and they have an open invite. If you want, pm me and I will share my ho's. They are mostly good guys and eager to fish.

Keep in mind, most boat owners make good ho's, since they already know what is involved.

FINATIC 21 and cortezpirasea like this.
  15. tj805

tj805 Member

Name:
    Tony
    Boat:
    19 arima sea chaser 12ft Livingston
    Most people have no idea how much owning a boat cost.
    It's a huge expense.
    As a guy who learned basically everything I know for others I thought it would be pretty easy to have my own boat.
    Sometimes I think I was wrong.
    But then I take the old girl out the harbor mouth and over the first few swells and i feel a lot better.
    You have to remember that person you take out doesn't see how much work you did the night before the trip loading the boat and truck.
    Then they don't see the clean up after the fun is had.
    They just show up at the launch ramp and hop in.

There are good people out there that want to fish and learn. Sometimes there just a little harder to find.

cortezpirasea and Unassailable like this.
  16. spize909

spize909 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jeff
    Boat:
    no

^^^that's the key. Those of us who have owned boats understand.

17. Otto

Otto Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Floyd - Guy from Repo Man
    Boat:
    19 SeaPro
    Weird is as weird does. You didn't mention if they stole from you. I usually fish alone for the reasons you mentioned. I only trust two different people to fish with. I offered a free trip to an experienced bloodydecker, he couldn't wait to steal my fish scales.

18. cortezpirasea

cortezpirasea Pangero

Name:
    Russell
    Boat:
    21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
    No theft yet. It's kinda the other way around...? They leave their shit in my boat and I just throw it away! Sunblock, pliers, rags, hats, glasses, knives, food...

19. bman440440

bman440440 I am the one who knocks!!!

Name:
    B-MAN
    Boat:
    Heisenberg(20' Maxum), Ship Show(30' double decker pontoon),Ships&Giggles(32' double decker pontoon)
    I guess I have been VERY lucky... I have a core group and they are all GREAT... so much so that I will even post there names here...
    dragonem(Larry), fishinfool1904(Vic), Piece of Ship(Angel is OCD and will keep your boat shining like a diamond in a goats ass in between fish or slow fishing), Ultimate Catch Rob- has his own boat and I fish on it when the water is to snotty for mine and he had even let me take his boat out myself... and he will fish with me when he just want to get out and not deal with pulling his rig out and getting it ready) all of these guy's are top notch HO's and I reluctantly say HO because they are awesome people and now are very good friends... so to all you captains... there is hope to find good HO's... and when you do let them know!

20. Northeastfshman

Northeastfshman Moderator

Name:
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat:
    Parker 2120SCDV
    Only ever had that with one person here, (won't call them out). Took them bass fishing. SLOOOW day but we worked 20 different rock piles etc...

Got back to the dock...ZERO offer to clean ... no offer for gas...never tied tackle for anyone but himself while we were running from spot to spot. Needless to say they've never been asked back and I've given several other people the heads up about the person. I wouldn't have even taken gas money or asked them to clean due to timing..but it's absolutely expected you do the above on someone elses boat.

Otherwise I've had nothing but great experiences with everyone associated with BD. Heck the first person I spoke to 7 years ago when I put up my first post about bringing my boat here from NY is still one my best buddies and someone I fish with as much as possible. He's saved my ass a few times including a scary incident with my wife and kids while I was travelling for work.

OH and of course the great people thing applies to everyone but Jason ...but that goes without saying.

cortezpirasea and bman440440 like this.