Aluminum vs stainless steel prop

Scooter69

Jul 28, 2021
Lemoore
Name
Scott Randall
Boat
Crestliner Superhawk
I have a 2018 Crestliner with a 150hp Mercury 4 stroke. I've taken it out in saltwater many times since we bought it new. My problem is, even after a long freshwater rinse and detailing, I still find corrosion in the hub of the aluminum prop. My question is, do stainless steel props have this issue and is it worth the cost to upgrade? Otherwise, the aluminum prop is in great condition.

Upvote 0

Mike_I

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 19, 2006
Irvine
Name
Mike_I
Boat
Cabo 216 First Love
have you priced a stainless steel prop?
I have a 2018 Crestliner with a 150hp Mercury 4 stroke. I've taken it out in saltwater many times since we bought it new. My problem is, even after a long freshwater rinse and detailing, I still find corrosion in the hub of the aluminum prop. My question is, do stainless steel props have this issue and is it worth the cost to upgrade? Otherwise, the aluminum prop is in great condition.

Upvote 0

aztec23

• Aug 18, 2017
    North County SD
    Name
    Nick
    Boat
    Wellcraft 18 CC
    Just had to replace my aluminum (turning point) prop after I ran over something. I cracked and bent one of the blades. If I had a ss prop might have blown out lower unit.

Upvote 0

meandmyself

Who knows
    Aug 5, 2012
    san jose
    Name
    edgar teixeira
    Boat
    1991 Farallon Whaleback 25 Rock Bottom
    i ran an aluminum prop many years 13 years to be exact on my old striper and never seen corrosion on it. still had black paint on it. do you have any pics? you do not want to hit anything with a SS prop other things beside the prop will Break.

Upvote 0