aluminum pilothouse offshore boats

knot keely

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 9, 2014
Name
Dan
Boat
None (yet)
Stabis are badass. I’m going to be ordering an 1850 SuperCab this summer and already planning to upgrade to the 2250 UltraCenterCab in 5 years LOL.

Reactions: Tail Chaser

flytie

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 20, 2012
Orange, CA USA
Name
GC
Boat
Out of Office - Custom Invader CC
I’m looking at buying an offshore pilothouse boat probably in about 2 years, when my finances have aligned properly. I’ve been doing some research and was strongly leaning towards a newer/used seasport 27. Also considering the c-dory tomcat 255. But this summer we were up in oregon and I noticed a bunch of aluminum pilothouse boats and realized I never even considered going aluminum. Anyone have any experience with these boats, such as, Kingfisher, Weldcraft, Duckworth, Woolridge, RH boats, Hewescraft...
Advantages/ disadvantages, likes/ dislikes...
Thanks
I've fished the NW's in Alaska and they are tough farking sleds. Waterfall resort, in Alaska, sells off a few rebuilt 26' units every year for $30k. Sick boats, and if I didn't already have my boat done I would have grabbed one.

Tesoro

Sep 5, 2015
Brookings, Southern Oregon
Name
Chris Berlin
Boat
21 Arima ex Whalers Pursuit Mako Aquasport Seacraft Grady North Rivers
I am originally from the PNW Oregon ocean zone but spent most of my working life on the ocean in the Caribbean sea. When I came back home 8 yrs ago had to get another boat right away of course and alum seemed to be the rage and they looked neat and clean. So I jumped on the bandwagon and bought a 21ft northriver. (the best all around built alum boats up here). And then I bought and sold a dozen more to make some bucks so I have crawled around dozens of them and sent borescopes into the hidden bilges etc to see what salt and dissimilar metals does to these crafts.

I am no stranger to sport outboard f/g boats and have had a good 20 top brand ones and used to run them every day for years. I dont want to go over all the the pro/con of f/g vs alum but I can say that most of the ocean sport boats will not survive saltwater life anywhere close to an equiv priced f/g hull. Crevice corrosion is the main enemy. As is stray current electrolosis in harbors. Cosmetics wear thin fast on nice looking alum boats. And btw in cold water the hulls transmit the cold right into your core!

I sold my alum boat and went to a pre-defiance 21ft Arima ranger. Great boat for our waters/climate and my needs.

Ocean salmon fishing in PNW has declined significantly over the last 10 years and this ignited a new rage up here to take its place called 'albacore tuna fishing'. People are going nuts up here paying 150-250k for alum pilot house boats to go catch unlimited supplies of puny 10-30 lb tunas for 3 mos a year??... How much canned tuna can you eat?!! But this is the first fishery up here in a long time that has had no real limits ( none in Wa and 25 in Ore but noone checks or cares). Alot of the PNW outdoors folks' mindset are more hunter/gatherer and they smoke, can, freeze until you need to buy more freezers and have more food than you can eat before the next year kicks in.. Cases of home canned tuna are common xmas gifts.

Most of the charters here are 6 packs vs large pukers and the layouts of the 26 ft style alum pilot houses lend them selves well to accommodating guests where can get out of the cold. esp in bc and ak. So I can see the utility there.

Why is the PNW so aluminized? because there was alot of sport boating on our rivers - jet boats for fishing and playing. And then the same river rat small shop boat builders started making windshield ocean boats in the early 2000's on demand from their customers. And it has gone nuts since then.

The younger and more inexperienced crowd here seem to flock to the alum hulls and the experienced salts seem to have more nw built f/g hulls like ospreys and sea sports or imports like albins, parkers, etc etc.

If I had to make one general statement on the diff between high end f/g and PNW built alum sport fishing boats it would be this: The alum boats are designed by people who have limited practical ocean captaining/fishing time vs the f/g boat designers.

I am not commenting on the stabis as havent run in one but they seem to be overly safe at the expense of space and ride (wet). And expensive as shit. I will take the CG, buddy boats and a conventional proven ocean hull over some expedition looking boat for fishing.

knot keely

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 9, 2014
Name
Dan
Boat
None (yet)
they seem to be overly safe at the expense of space and ride (wet).
If there's one thing I hate in a boat, it's one that's overly safe. :rolleyes:

They do lose a little internal beam due to the hull design.

Why do you say they're wet? The reverse chine formed by the sponsons deflects spray really well.

And expensive as shit
True they aren't cheap, but they aren't any more expensive than a similarly sized Parker or other similar FG boat.

Tesoro

Sep 5, 2015
Brookings, Southern Oregon
Name
Chris Berlin
Boat
21 Arima ex Whalers Pursuit Mako Aquasport Seacraft Grady North Rivers
I am not knocking the Stabi. I would want one if I were skud runnin from oregon to alaska..! We have some around here and my obs is when I have been out in seas like 4 to 6 I have noticed the stabis windshield wipers working alot more than conventional hulls. But those have been the smaller model ones. I have only seen one 27 footer out of my port but not seen it running in rough water. They have a reverse chine but no flare..

I have always liked boats that cant sink to the bottom if the shtf. I once came down off a swell and nailed the corner of a submerged 20ft container 30 mi offshore in a 25ft whaler classic outrage and drove home no issues. if I had been in the 24 ft aquasport we probably would have been swimming..

I have ran ribs and some big ones in the 25 ft range and I would say that the stabi would handle similarly in the sense that it would be one stable mofo.

I didnt realize that parkers were in the same price range..pretty basic boats imo. I would bet the stabis are probably the best constructed alum hulls on the mkt right now. Or atleast on par with the North Rivers.

Reactions: knot keely

FishRock

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Tesoro,

I think your observations regarding Aluminum boats have a lot of merit but I bought one of those one off built ocean boats from a river boat builder in Oregon 30 years ago. Not ideal but I am about to put the third motor it and so far have had no issues with it holding together. If I had bought a FG boat it would be torn to pieces by now since I put my boat on the beach and in the rocks on a regular basis fishing and beach combing in SC Alaska.

If I were buying new and planning to keep a boat in the water all the time I would be looking hard at a FG boat, provably a 36' Delta Charter boat! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Nick Sakata