Aluminum Hull Pitting

Discussion in 'Boating Discussion' started by kohatsu19, Jul 5, 2015.

1. kohatsu19

kohatsu19 Newbie

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Starcraft CC
    Hey guys,
    I recently purchased a 1988 17ft starcraft center console to introduce my stepson to fishing and being outdoors, instead of the damn iPad lol. Anyways, my mistake for not looking hull over in detail and now have discovered tiny pin holes up and down the hull. 2 rows of them or so. I've been researching and still can't come to the right solution. What would be your best ideas or fixes to get this done with *minimal costs lol? Do I have an electrolysis problem? Thank you for help and I'm located in the OC if there is anyone local you suggest.

2. sickcat

sickcat Silverback

Name:
    Kerry
    Boat:
    Yellow spot
    Sounds like it may be an electrolysis issue. Where are the rows of pinholes? First thing to check is the wiring to make sure the hull is not tied into/used as an electrical ground. Pics would help to figure out the best fix. Usually welding or epoxy.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
    PCH likes this.
  3. PCH

PCH El Nino 2015!!!!!!

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    Gregor 20
    Also if wiring is still original from 1988, you may want to go through it all to make sure the rubber coating around the wires is not corroded or worn off, touching the hull. Also check your switches and battery grounds.

4. kohatsu19

kohatsu19 Newbie

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Starcraft CC
    Thanks guys,
    I just got done checking all the wires, rubbber coating is ok. I did have a ground issue that i have since fixed and good for now. I then cleaned the area really well then filled the small holes with the alumninum epoxy stick and then coated with Gluvit. Now its curing. Hell of a process but it's been worth it. Cant wait to get my boy back on the water. thanks.