Aluminum center console comparison...

Discussion in 'Boating Discussion' started by Dream to fish, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Dream to fish

Dream to fish Deck Swaby

Name:
    Phil
    Boat:
    Saving for one...
    If you were going to buy new, what would you go with? How about between a Klamath Bayrunner 19 and a Gregor Pac 18? Why, and just for fun, what outboard would you choose? It seems that the Klamath is a lot more popular. The Gregor factory is 30 minutes away from me...

2. Black Cat

Black Cat Member

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    Bertram Bahia Mar
    I've run the same thought over quite a few times. The main difference I could find were hull thickness, (klamath is thicker). I think the V's are similar. I sent and email to Gregor asking them if they sell a bare hull, I never heard back from them. IF I were you, I'd check out things like the space between the gunnels and the console, it's a little tight to walk in between that spot, one might be wider than the other. Also, if you are 30 minutes away.....stand of the deck of the 18 with your rod, walk around and imagine you have a fish on. Is it easy to walk 360 around the boat, or do you get hung up on something.
    I have a Westcoaster wide body and as much as I love it, I want something with a bit more deck space.
    As far as HP, I'd rig it to max or 10% below max. It's always better to have a bit more, than be in a situation where you "need" more. 30HP is a little low for the V in my hull. Compare the beams as well, a bit wider is almost always better on this style of boat. Floor width as well, gunnel beam and floor beam can very be very different.

3. baaadlybent

baaadlybent Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    26' Striper "Baaadly Bent", 21' Bayrunner Baja "Vamonos", 15' Gregor "Little Vamonos"
    My impression is the gregor is more "tippy". The Klamath/Valco Bayrunner 19s are tippy too. You always need to watch where your crew is because if both of you get on the same side of the boat your gonna have some butt pucker moments! I also thought the Gregor wastes a lot of transom space because of the design.

4. baaadlybent

baaadlybent Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    26' Striper "Baaadly Bent", 21' Bayrunner Baja "Vamonos", 15' Gregor "Little Vamonos"
    i had a 19 Bayrunner Baja for many years. Bought it with a Suzuki 55 two-stroke. Eventually re-powered with a Nissan 70 two-stroke. The 55 was adequate and I actually waterskied behind it. 6'5" 235lbs! two skis of course and plowed for awhile. The 70 was perfect in my opinion. Don't need more than that. But that was a two-stroke. Hard to say what four stroke would be best.

5. Dream to fish

Dream to fish Deck Swaby

Name:
    Phil
    Boat:
    Saving for one...
    I was thinking a 60hp E-tec would be about perfect either way...

6. PCH

PCH El Nino 2015!!!!!!

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    Gregor 20
    I got a 20 foot gregor with a yam 115 4s, halls ass. It may seem excessive but I got a 50 gallon fuel tank, 32 gallon bait tank, a big ass kill bag full of ice and usually 1 or 2 buddies.

7. Dream to fish

Dream to fish Deck Swaby

Name:
    Phil
    Boat:
    Saving for one...
    It's also rated for 115 max isn't it? I don't think maxing the rating is excessive imo.