Alternatives to bottom paint?

JFurst

Jul 9, 2020
Orange County
Name
Josh
Boat Name
Parker 1801
I’m getting ready to put my boat in a slip, I am month to month and not sure if this is something I’ll do for one summer or the rest of my life. Not ready to go with the commitment of bottom paint right out the gates, wondering what the best alternative would be (even if it’s temporary).

Having a diver clean the bottom every couple weeks is the obvious alternative, has anyone slipped their boat with no bottom paint and had a diver just clean the bottom? If so was it effective?

I have also seen these boat shields that kind of lift the boat up so it’s barely on top of the water. Does anybody know if these are effective?

Upvote 0

pescaloco

fish hunter
Aug 17, 2005
san diego
Name
Mark B.
Boat Name
27 Foot Stringari Custom
Don’t recommend to slip for long without bottom paint. Will stain the gelcoat and you will get hard growth like mussels and tube worms that are a bitch to remove

Upvote 0

mike mitchell

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 25, 2017
Monterey
Name
Michael Mitchell
Boat Name
18 Sfringari
You may not be able to find a diver to service your hull without bottom paint. If you don't want bottom paint leave it on a trailer.

Reactions: gecsr1
Upvote 0

Kevin A

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat Name
    25' aqua sport
    If you stay in a slip for longer than a week w/out bottom paint, Have the bottom cleaned twice a month in winter and weekly in summer when water temp's are above 62-63 degrees. If you choose to paint the bottom of your boat, Buy your bottom paint in AZ or NV, They don't have the restrictions like California has. You will more than likely need to paint the bottom by yourself, Since the boatyard is technically not allowed to use that paint that does not comply to Ca, Standards, But your allowed to apply the paint that does not conform to Ca. Standards, Go Figure??? By using the bottom paint purchased out of state, Will last 2-3 times longer than the paint used that complies to CA, Standards. Someone told me that San Diego has some type of Exemption for selling paints that does not conform to Ca. Standards, I don't know if this is accurate, It's something I only heard! You may want to look into this.

Upvote 0

J-Dog

Almost A Member
    Nov 13, 2007
    Valencia
    Name
    Jason
    Boat Name
    43' Bertram "PierFection"
    Hydro hoist, I had my Davis 25’ Diesel on one for several years. Worked great. You can pick up a used one on craigslist for $2,500 tp$5,000 depending on age and condition.

Upvote 0

mahi

Jan 5, 2005
    laguna niguel
    Name
    Bob
    Boat Name
    Henriques 28 Express
    San Diego has tougher standards than Dana Point or Newport Beach. It is a regulation by the SWRCB. No copper allowed. The paint wears much quicker too. I put a Shamrock in the water for 2 weeks, years ago. The green moss grew with in a few days and barnacles in about a week. If you plan to put the boat in the water more than this, just bite the bullet and paint it. Once done, a diver will still need to do periodic maintenance while it is slipped.

Upvote 0

butcherboy

Retired Bum
  • Jul 4, 2007
    escondido ca.
    Name
    tom cunningham
    Boat Name
    Compton 33 / Gig Harbor Whitehall rowboat
    I'm a long time customer of the hull liner that you reference. 20 yrs. last 4 boat have had them.. It's what I choose now with a 33' boat. If full time in a slip with these you don't need paint. If your a part timer in the slip go with paint and a diver.

Upvote 0

Latest posts